• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is your writing style? - Determining Your Personality Type By What You Write

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:( When I saw the thread title I thought that this test would actually test what your writing is like and give varying results... not using the MBTI. :thelook: How does a certain type even write? No one's score is accurate hardly, lol.

I actually think it's a great idea and it doesn't work half bad. If it can be perfected, this thing is marvelous. I don't like that you have to enter the text into four different places.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
OK, so this thing was so interesting I decided to try a couple more writing samples.

First, I used this casual email message:

Yo,

How you been man?

I've been sick--and busy.

I've got some good news.

I've been networking, etc.

I've got one of the biggest artists out there right now, who just happens to live in Sac, definitely down for an interview/mini-documentary, etc.
He sent me an email the other day about it. He said to call him and set up a date/time.

Then, I may also have some local legends---one of the biggest bands in Sac (called Knock Knock)-- down for an interview/mini-doc.
I met the guitar player in the park the other day, and the lead singer turns out to be my next door neighbor!

Well, I'm going to get to know these guys and hopefully all the artists/bands they're connected to--and pretty soon we'll be well-connected.

More to come...

Hope you're well.

Talk to you soon.

--Wonk

My result was ESFJ!:D :

Extraversion (83.7 %)
Introversion (16.3 %)

Sensing (80.7 %)
iNtuition (19.3 %)

Feeling (98.2 %)
Thinking (1.8 %)

Judging (88.0 %)
Perceiving (12.0 %)

Then I used this movie review:

Title: Broken Embraces
MPAA Rated: R for sexual content, language and some drug material

My Synopsis:

Spanish director Pedro Almodovar is a man who knows what he wants. Unfortunately for the rest of us, we have no idea what that is.

In his latest artsy offering, actress Penelope Cruz is just as confused as we are. Should she stay with her ugly, rich old sugardaddy and have sex with him 6+ times a day? Or should she shack up with the artsy middle-aged dude who lost his eyesight and his career and uses his blindess to pick up chicks?
Well, considering that this flick is one giant ego-stroke on the part of the director, it's no surprise that she shacks up with the artsy guy, because everybody knows that Art is King--which brings us to the very artful, but totally incoherent and unintelligible narrative.

The plot is as warped and fractured as a broken fun-house mirror, hopping around, willy-nilly, between the present day and the 1990s. The male lead (credited as Lluis Homar, but I'll be damned if it's not Kelsey Grammer!) is Harry Caine, a writer and former film director who lost his sight in a car crash. He lives with his ugly former agent and her dimwitted adult son. A fruity young stranger shows up at Caine's house, completely out of the blue, and demands that the former director collaborate with him on a film. He is the son of a deceased millionaire named Ernesto Martel, who had a mistress named Magdalena, played by a frequently topless Penelope Cruz. Sinister music lets us know that this is an important part of the plot, and that secrets from Caine's past are about to kick him square in the ass.

The film flashes back to the early Nineties, where Magdalena is known as "Lena," a secretary for Ernesto Martel. She is also a part time call-girl, and the sleazy Martel knows it. She initially refuses to sleep with him, but Martel, who looks just like Mr. Magoo, manages to get his greasy paws on her by paying her dying father's hospital bills. Then we're transported to the mid-Nineties where Harry Caine is known as Mateo Blanco. Lena has grown tired of being a whore for old Moneybags, and she lands a starring role in a film by Mateo Blanco. Sparks fly between Lena and Mateo, and they practically devour each other's flesh every time they're alone together. Martel is the film's producer, which complicates matters even more.

The rich old bastard becomes obsessed with Lena, and forces his fruity son to follow Lena and Mateo around with a video camera. Then he hires a professional lip-reader to transcribe everything they say. Lena constantly describes Martel as a monster and plots her escape with Mateo Blanco. Jealously and rage consume Martel, and he sets out to destroy the happy couple with every means at his disposal. Back in the present day, some deep confessions and cathartic moments bore us, in the audience, to tears, but provide the main characters with some much-needed psychic relief.

The ending credits were like rescuing angels in the Hell that was watching this film.

Things of Note:

Since it was supposed to be kind of a "film within a film", I think it would have been more interesting if the lead actor actually portrayed Kelsey Grammer, and had lots of homages to Frazier Crane--like a scene in the Cheers bar, with Roz, Daphne, and Penelope Cruz gettin it on.

Actors:

Penelope Cruz was engaging as usual, but I was a little disappointed with her breasts. They almost upstaged her, and that's just unprofessional.

The old dude was effectively creepy, and was convincing as a charmingly lecherous leading man.

Overall Rating:

2 out of 5 Wonks. The cinematic equivalent of a deflated Whoopie-cushion.

My result was ISFJ! :

Introversion (59.3 %)
Extraversion (40.7 %)

Sensing (64.3 %)
iNtuition (35.7 %)

Feeling (91.9 %)
Thinking (8.1 %)

Judging (72.7 %)
Perceiving (27.3 %)

So, to recap---I'm ENFP, but I write like an INTJ, an ESFJ, or an ISFJ!

DUDE---I'm SCHIZO. LOL. :D

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
By the way, if any of you got ENFP as a result, would you be so kind as to share your writing sample, so I can see what "ENFP writing" looks like?

Pretty please? :cheese:

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I just used an excerpt from Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky, who is widely considered to have been INFP.

He got INFJ.

I also used an excerpt from The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton, who is widely considered to have been an ENFP.

She got ESFP.

:D

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Mostly, I'm getting INTP. I did about four or five passages: once I got S by a slim margin, once I was a hair's breath away from J, but mostly I'm getting very strong INTP results.

thistledown

MBTI Type
INFP
Wow! My writing personality is almost the opposite of my actual personality! At least that's what the test says.... I wonder if it is accurate. I have grave doubts...

I used one of my most typical poems and got

E 88.3% (Wow!:huh:)
S 52.6 %
F 99.7 %
J 83.3 % (Judging???!!!:shock:)

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Played around with this device using quite a few of the Joker's (as my favorite villain ever) monologues, primarily from Dark Knight, Killing Joke and Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth.

He leans somewhat toward Extraversion and Intuition, and is pretty close between Judging and Perceiving (Dark Knight's Joker was pretty heavily judging). But the fun thing? I found around ten speeches, and all but one came up very strongly on the side of feeling. By far, feeling was the most consistent read on him.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't really have any chunks of text anywhere... :/

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
N/S

A poem I put in:
1. iNtuition (79.5 %)
2. Sensing (20.5 %)

Random post (albeit a "thoughtful" one):
1. iNtuition (95.5 %)
2. Sensing (4.5 %)

My fashion blog (for kicks!):
1. Sensing (82.9 %)
2. iNtuition (17.1 %)

------
F/T

Poem:
1. Feeling (71.6 %)
2. Thinking (28.4 %)

Random post:
1. Thinking (87.5 %)
2. Feeling (12.5 %)

------------
I/E

Poem:
1. Introversion (77.4 %)
2. Extraversion (22.6 %)

2. Extraversion (9.2 %)

-----
J/P

Poem:
1. Judging (74.6 %)
2. Perceiving (25.4 %)

2. Perceiving (43.0 %)

Another post because I am desperate to test "P" :D :
1. Perceiving (61.3 %)
2. Judging (38.7 %)

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Interestingly, some poems I wrote once seem to lean ENFP (well, one is INTP (light on the I), but the others are ENFP). Virtually everything else I've tested (longer posts, essays, blog) has come out unequivocally INTP.

Yes, this device amuses me, but I wish I knew how it made its distinctions.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I'm sure this has been answered already, but I don't have time to read this whole thread: does anyone know how this test was constructed, and who constructed it?

I put in an email I wrote back in college, and came out as INTJ.

Pretty interesting...

1. Introversion (98.5 %)
2. Extraversion (1.5 %)

1. iNtuition (88.7 %)
2. Sensing (11.3 %)

1. Thinking (98.6 %)
2. Feeling (1.4 %)

1. Judging (62.4 %)
2. Perceiving (37.6 %)

Obviously, the results would change based on what kind of mood, intent, topic, etc. was the basis of your writing, but that's why I picked a piece that seems representative of who I really am, at least based on how I see myself.

Fascinating...

:nerd:

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I just tried one of my more long-winded posts here and got:

97.3% I
93.7% N
96.2% T
70.6% J

All overwhelmingly in line with how I've typed myself except for J/P. I'd also be interested to know how this works (did I already say that in my post way back on this thread?) and particularly the J/P. That Typealyzer blog thing had also typed another "wall of text" from me as INTJ.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Yeah, the J/P thing has me too... I can understand the other ones a bit more -- T/F most easily, N/S pretty easily too, I/E I am a bit curious about, but can imagine how it does it -- but J/P... not sure quite how it would do it...

The oddest thing of all being that the J/P difference makes all the relevant functions flip, so it's a pretty important distinction...

swift sylvan

MBTI Type
NiTi
I checked two things I wrote recently:

The first was recalling a month long trip I had to Russia that I wrote as a means for everyone to see including the people I went on the trip with: ESFJ

The second was an e-mail to my friend talking about the deeper meaning of the trip with regards to the information I had gained about the people as well as the potential benefits and problems I saw with them and society: INFJ

I wrote letters to people a month ago and to my friend who is an INTJ: My letter to him was INTJ, to one who is an INFP: my letter is INFP.

I wonder if our knowledge of the types, functions, and temperaments skew our own styles based on our audiences and what we perceive to be important as well as who we are tailoring our writings to.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Based on one of my previous posts

N: 54.3%
S: 45.7%

T 88.6%
F 11.4%

I 81.3%
E 18.7%

P 51.9%
J 48.1%

Latest entry in my blog:

N: 59.9%
S: 40.1%

T: 99.9%!!!!! (It's a professional blog. I keep personal bias out of it)
F: 0.1%

I: 92.0%
E: 8.0%

J: 67.9%
P: 32.1%

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
My freelance fashion journalism is on average ESFJ (very high F and J). Makes sense. Fashion concentrates largely on the past (Si) and is very much a social expression (Fe).

My blog is on average INTP for my philosophical postings and INFP for my more personal entries. My writing is always extremely introverted here and is either very high F or very high T, although I am typically balanced with P/J.

myriah

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
My results:

1. iNtuition (72.0 %)
2. Sensing (28.0 %)

1. Feeling (98.3 %)
2. Thinking (1.7 %)

1. Introversion (81.6 %)
2. Extraversion (18.4 %)

1. Perceiving (61.5 %)
2. Judging (38.5 %)

So yep. INFP all the way. Very cool.

KilgoreTrout

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This was entertaining, and I do not know much about the analysis, but I hope this is not meant to be scientifically based! All results will correspond with subject matter and the grammatical perspective from which you are writing.

1. Introversion (99.4 %)
2. Extraversion (0.6 %)

1. iNtuition (99.3 %)
2. Sensing (0.7 %)

1. Thinking (99.1 %)
2. Feeling (0.9 %)

1. Judging (58.6 %)
2. Perceiving (41.4 %)

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I received INTJ as my initial result:

1. Introversion (99.6 %)
2. Extraversion (0.4 %)

1. iNtuition (97.1 %)
2. Sensing (2.9 %)

1. Thinking (99.6 %)
2. Feeling (0.4 %)

1. Judging (65.2 %)
2. Perceiving (34.8 %)

I had used this text written on the spot:
A rather uninteresting program used to attempt to analyse my particular writings. I find it awfully disturbing and bizarre. Perhaps one day there will be a particular program sophisticated to levels of higher artificial intelligence that allows for such things to be more accurately measured.

Although it had, in it's structural manner, typed me correctly I will not open my arms for it as a way to even hint at a particular MBTI type one may have.

I must strongly agree with SolitaryWalker's take on things, which unfortunately was ignored throughout the entire thread.

Just an interesting observation, when you enter 'complete non-sense' into the sensing/intuiting engine, you get 50% sensing, and 50% intuitive. Yet, when you enter 'absolute non-sense', suddenly your intuitive score jumps to 100%! Similarly, when I enter 'stupendous genius', it is 50/50, yet 'very smart person' receives a 100% S score!

For the Thinking/Feeling, I entered 'person A is dexterous and received over 80% for thinking, yet when I re-entered the same sentence with one small addition, I feel that person A is dexterous, my Feeling score elevated to well over 80.

This leads me to suspect that the test is based on superficial, Keirseyan or folk typological descriptions of personality types. In other words, if you use the word 'feel' or 'I' a great deal, you will be labelled as a feeling type writer. If you use difficult and non-vernacular words you will be labelled a sensing type. I hate to ruin the excitement for you again, yet I am afraid that this test, just like the majority of MBTI assessments tell us nothing insightful about our personalities or the way we write. Any person could virtually score as any type, as we implement different word choices when working on various written assignments. As Jaguar observed, his result would probably have been something other than INTJ if he submitted a written piece on a different topic and indeed, many of our other posters received one code in response to one of their articles yet a completely different one for writing that dealt with a wholly different subject-matter.

A writing test of true typological insight would somehow reflect our deepest unconscious dispositions that manifest in our writing regardless of what words we use or even what topics we discuss. I would guess that such a test would not accept one-liners, it would need to focus on many long passages of our writing and look at the underlying structure of our rhetorical style and the subtle meanings of our writing. This would probably require software that is by far more sophisticated than the kind that we currently have.