User Tag List

First 234

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    But I'd hesitate to say the IP/EJ is truly open - in that, I don't feel they really accept things, but are merely looking for the variety in sample size, then selecting what is of value to prove or deny their theory. Anything which falls inbetween is usually discarded. I think they'd cling more firmly to their beliefs vs an EP/IJ - and this also means the fall is harder for them when a belief is crushed. An EP/IJ would tend to walk away easier I'd think...

So I'd go for EP/IJ as absorbers-reactors. IP/EJs as filters-seekers.
    Uhhh...? EJs (and I can't believe I'm going to defend IPs ) sound a tad myopic and singular minded in this description. Can you explain further pls?
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post

Everyone's getting rep points for their gems here.... as long as I remember this time
    *kicks your shin* lol

Odd that you'd find an ENTJ hard work. My sister is an ENFJ and my father is an ENTJ and they are as thick as thieves most of the time. Each can reveal the flipside to the other. She can map my fathers emotions very well and he can map her thoughts. I, on the other hand, just get told I'm disorganised and chaotic
    No no, I mean when Athena redlines and gets her horns down. It's not that we don't get along -- it's that when she's finally gone rabid, my ENFP sister knows exactly how to talk to her to pull the fuse out of the bomb. When Athena needs affirmation, mano-y-mano, she gets a lot out of putting her head to mine. We spark the same. But "same" isn't always a help. That's why she needs Jaye to help her when she's losing contact with the ground.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Uhhh...? EJs (and I can't believe I'm going to defend IPs ) sound a tad myopic and singular minded in this description. Can you explain further pls?
    Xander (INTP *grin*) earlier commented, "That'd be representative of the less developed amongst those types."

I clarified somewhere in my reply to him that I meant it as an active process of first filtering, then processing/absorbing, vs vice versa. That does not equate myopia? I think any myopia kicks in only if any type is less developed, whether EP/IJ or IP/EJ. (Damn, I agree with Xander there. )

i.e. for an EP/IJ who is less developed, I think they'd not able to start their processing, and would fixated on collecting sensations, unable to engage their Ti. This would cause them to be truly blind and lack focus/logic, selective of information they wish to hear to fit some ill-formed opinion.

While for an EJ/IP, if they're less developed and unable to engage their Ne for e.g., the fixation starts early, resulting in a myopia due to insufficient inputs taken.

So the types on both sides who are more well-developed and able to engage their auxilliary, should not suffer from that. Is that clearer?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Agreeing with Xander is the first step down the long dark staircase of psychosis.

I'm on Step Three. Meet me down there.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Verily, I believe it is a slide and not a staircase even. Engaging my Ti brakes once he starts shooting inputs at me, actually.

*notes to self. No derailment*

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

I can see validity in this, even for INTJs. One of the things I've had to learn is to pick and choose from my many Super Fantastic Intuitions. I used to try to attempt to follow through on too many of them, running myself ragged and not devoting myself to any one thing sufficiently.

When it comes to the external world, though, I usually know what information I'm looking for and go after it with laser-vision. (Or tunnel vision, depending upon how you'd like to look at it...)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I think I have it. An explanation as to why this doesn't appear to work so well for IJs and EJs. I think I and aelan were approaching from a quite P perspective.

Right if EP & IJ drink in all the inputs, the reason that IJs seem to not be filled with 1,001 pieces of information is because (as Mycroft made me realise) they clamp down with hard decisions and focus on the few pieces of information which are deemed relevant. I guess the rest is discarded. Similarly EJs would make those hard defining decisions as they choose the information to use.

It's probably not worded too well but how's that for an integrated concept of how this divide works?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

EJs would make those hard defining decisions as they choose the information to use.
    I relate to this, Xander. I'm a glutton for information/data and can absorb reams of it, but I'll get swamped faster than an IJ might. My INTJ best friend's retention of data is a bit marvelous to me, though we seem to share the same compulsive drive to accumulate.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

MBTI
    INTJ

:eek: an ENTP who admits to it!!!

Bet my INTJ mate would not admit to such an illogical behaviour.
    The reason I can admit to illogical behavior is that my ENTJ mom and my INTP sister have made me more aware of myself. I dunno if other EP/IJ's would. In fact, I know ENFP's wouldn't. I also know that I wouldn't admit to being illogical to a stranger on the street. Only to those I trust so that I can rule out illogicalities when communicating with those outside of my inner-circle.

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    First off, I like what Athenian has said here, in that for iNtuitive first types, it is absorption then processing. While for Thinking first types, it is the processing first, then the fact absorption.
    So true. I have yet to meet an ENTJ/INTP that does not process, then absorb facts.
    I also have yet to meet an ENTP/INTJ that does not absorb facts and then process.

Edit:
    Adding more people I know to see correlation..
    This true for these Thinking types--ISTP, ESTJ
    This is true for these Intuitive types--INFJ, ENFP
    Last edited by Hypomanic; 12-21-2007 at 11:42 PM. Reason: re-thinking

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hypomanic View Post
    yes.
    oui