• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

This site creates prejudices.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, actually, I'll tell you what inspired this thread. And it's actually not meant to blame N's for an S prejudice. It's to make light of my own prejudices. I won't name the exact type prejudice, since I don't want an uproaring. (Many of you may know what it is, anyways.) We'll call them xxxx for now Many xxxx's on this site are annoying. Point blank. They suck. (Not all of them, but a high percentage of them. Just to clarify, I can make a list of awesome xxxx's from this site as well.) In real life, I don't really notice that much. I just realized that this site led me to believe that half of this type must be horrible. Therefore, this site actually created a prejudice.

Some of the "representatives" of a type here make a bad name for that type, true... but I find those are just a few loudmouth people.

The spirit behind MBTI is to embrace the idea that there are different personalities (which most people realize to a point, but may not realize it's as big a difference as cognitive function), and that each has its strengths & one is not superior to another. This is why MBTI may be accused of being too "positive" in its profiles. In Gifts Differing, Myers says she wanted to focus on the "normative" types, or the what a type looks like when relatively healthy. Sometimes on this site, there is more focus on the way a type can be unhealthy.

Lark

Depends how you define prejudices, I suspect just from the threads I've read since being here that there'd not be a consensus on that one.

To often when I hear people talking about getting rid of prejudices they just mean getting rid of opinions that are different from theirs or opinions they dont like. A lot of the time its the people who imagine they're he most open minded, critical, free thinking, receptive and progressive they can be, they just got better blinkers.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I agree with the OP. It creates prejudices, based on artificial distinctions. If I claimed to be from Mars, you wouldn't assume that I didn't speak any earthly language or be unable to breathe the atmosphere on this planet - you would assume that I was either delusional or had an agenda; yet If I self-identify as infp, suddenly I'm whiney, aloof, wierd, 'emo', (insert stereotype here). the 'truth' of typology isn't really truth at all; it's just tendencies reinforced by assumptions, that in lew of anything more tangible, become an erzatz reality. I don't find this any more compelling than astrology or auguary. Both coincide with 'truth' just enough to not be condemned as a lie outright.
but we choose to play this little game, agree to these little lies, 'for entertainment purposes only'.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yes... the INTJs would have a much better image, for instance, if it weren't for some particularly cretinous members of theirs who seem to have emerged from under their bridge to post from time to time :cool:

which is sad because I actually LIKE most INTJs :(

Lark

Do you all think MBTI is an exact science enough to make judgements on people? What about socionics or Enneagram? Its surely not as polarising as all that

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Prejudice = the assumption that all members of a group possess some negative characteristic.

That's not what typology is supposed to do. If you interpret it that way, that's your own problem.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, actually, I'll tell you what inspired this thread. And it's actually not meant to blame N's for an S prejudice. It's to make light of my own prejudices. I won't name the exact type prejudice, since I don't want an uproaring. (Many of you may know what it is, anyways.) We'll call them xxxx for now Many xxxx's on this site are annoying. Point blank. They suck. (Not all of them, but a high percentage of them. Just to clarify, I can make a list of awesome xxxx's from this site as well.) In real life, I don't really notice that much. I just realized that this site led me to believe that half of this type must be horrible. Therefore, this site actually created a prejudice.

If by XXXXs you mean ISFJs, then I can totally relate.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
yes... the INTJs would have a much better image, for instance, if it weren't for some particularly cretinous members of theirs who seem to have emerged from under their bridge to post from time to time :cool:

Just for the record, I live in an apartment complex, not under the bridge.

Living "under the bridge" is for the homeless, and I for one, cannot stand bums (perhaps with the exception of Dieselelephant, mostly because he didn't reek of shit when I met him, and didn't ask me for money)

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
To those that complain about MBTIs labels/categories I would say that at least 16 types is more representative than common alternatives like 2 (Man/Woman) or 1 (people).

People should, people are, people want blah blah etc.etc.etc.

T

ThatGirl

I was already prejudiced by real life interactions. MBTI merely revealed a system to explain the clash.

I will say that it also helped me appreciate their strengths, even if I still disliked them.

This one.....sometimes.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Therefore, this site actually created a prejudice.

I would make the case that you created the prejudice based on your perceptions.

Example: let's say you are playing an ultimate frisbee game with a multi-racial group of friends at a park, let's call it Harrison park, k? Let's also say (purely hypothetically folks) that you notice that all of the Asian folk are being rude. Your conclusion is that generally most Asians must be rude since you noticed a trend within a 'focus group' if you will. You would not, however, claim that Harrison park created a prejudice, nor would you claim that the game of ultimate frisbee created a prejudice. This is not logical.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Typology prejudice isn't like other more serious prejudices out there.

If you go up to a random person and go "you piece of shit SJ!! you're all the same!" they're just not going to know what you're talking about.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Hmm.. I don't know. I suspect there is some kind of a passive agression attached to that display of affection.

leave it to an INxJ to suspect something nonexistent and imagine contempt where none was intended :)

(this stereotyping thing is fun! I should do it more often!)

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
leave it to an INxJ to suspect something nonexistent and imagine contempt where none was intended :)

(this stereotyping thing is fun! I should do it more often!)

About time you joined the party.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Some people use typology as a crutch to excuse their own flaws or inadequacies.

INTP: Oh, so that's why I can never get along with my family! They're all stupid, mindless sheep ESFJs, while I am an intellectually superior INTP who knows Pi to 325 places.

Mom: Mortimer! Come up from the basement, it's time for supper!

INTP: Grrrr..effin ESFJs! I was almost to level 79! :steam:

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Some people use typology as a crutch to excuse their own flaws or inadequacies.

INTP: Oh, so that's why I can never get along with my family! They're all stupid, mindless sheep ESFJs, while I am an intellectually superior INTP who knows Pi to 325 places.

Mom: Mortimer! Come up from the basement, it's time for supper!

INTP: Grrrr..effin ESFJs! I was almost to level 79! :steam:

Stop spying on me.

:ninja:

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you can appreciate the strengths of others even if you do not like them. it gives you a language to communicate what you value for your own life, social relationships, etc. just because you can respect the skills of others that you do not have does not mean that you have to prefer to interact with everyone equally. different traits that are shared amongst people create a familial feel and a different kind of trust. and some are more complimentary than others (Ni with Ne, etc).

everyone can feel like a minority in typology, but some have reason to feel more marginalized than others. and everyone has ways in which they feel disrespected. if you use it to come to terms with that and maintain perspective throughout those moments, and if it is accurate enough to not grossly distort your impressions of others, it's a successful theory.