• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

This site creates prejudices.

Mole

Permabanned
The stated purpose of MBTI is to overcome prejudice and create understanding.

And it is obvious MBTI has failed in its stated purpose.

And this is the hallmark of a cult, for when we fail to achieve our purpose, we redouble our efforts.

But most of all MBTI is an effective confidence trick.

We all want confidence and we all want to believe, so MBTI is immensely seductive.

So to be sceptical is verboten.

Last edited:

Quiet

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
you can appreciate the strengths of others even if you do not like them. it gives you a language to communicate what you value for your own life, social relationships, etc. just because you can respect the skills of others that you do not have does not mean that you have to prefer to interact with everyone equally. different traits that are shared amongst people create a familial feel and a different kind of trust. and some are more complimentary than others (Ni with Ne, etc).

everyone can feel like a minority in typology, but some have reason to feel more marginalized than others. and everyone has ways in which they feel disrespected. if you use it to come to terms with that and maintain perspective throughout those moments, and if it is accurate enough to not grossly distort your impressions of others, it's a successful theory.

I love this post.

Jaguar

The stated purpose of MBTI is to overcome prejudice and create understanding.

And it is obvious MBTI has failed in its stated purpose.

And this is the hallmark of a cult, for when we fail to achieve our purpose, we redouble our efforts.

But most of all MBTI is an effective confidence trick.

We all want confidence and we all want to believe so MBTI is immensely seductive.

So to be sceptical is verboten.

What took you so long? :jew:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Prejudice can be either negative or positive.

"A prejudice is a prejudgment: i.e. a preconceived belief, opinion, or judgment made without ascertaining the facts of a case."

Prejudice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cognitive Prejudice - what people believe to be true
Affective Prejudice - what people like and dislike
Behavioral Prejudice - how people are inclined to behave

It would seem prejudice would be an inevitable result of categorizing people.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
This site creates prejudices. Shouldn't it have the opposite effect?

Yes. Yes.

It might at the start, but you hope over time prejudices turn into understanding. That's assuming people come here to learn about themselves and others, and MBTi can teach them anything about that. I normally just post cause I'm bored.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Prejudice can be either negative or positive.

"A prejudice is a prejudgment: i.e. a preconceived belief, opinion, or judgment made without ascertaining the facts of a case."

Prejudice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cognitive Prejudice - what people believe to be true
Affective Prejudice - what people like and dislike
Behavioral Prejudice - how people are inclined to behave

It would seem prejudice would be an inevitable result of categorizing people.

If wielded conscientiously, prejudice saves a lot of time and headache.

For example, I assume every religious Muslim doesn't like it when you drink in front of them, blacks that dress hood don't care much for the company of white people, hippies get worked up when you praise the Republican party in front of them, evangelicals hate seeing two dudes making out, my jokes are guaranteed to offend ISFJs and emo NFs, my existence alone irks Haight, and Victor will NEVER tire of his schtick.

JTG1984

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
If wielded conscientiously, prejudice saves a lot of time and headache.

For example, I assume every religious Muslim doesn't like it when you drink in front of them, blacks that dress hood don't care much for the company of white people, hippies get worked up when you praise the Republican party in front of them, evangelicals hate seeing two dudes making out, my jokes are guaranteed to offend ISFJs and emo NFs, my existence alone irks Haight, and Victor will NEVER tire of his schtick.

You and your jokes are harmless little fella.

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Shouldn't it have the opposite effect?

No, it shouldn't.

MBTI is categorization. Categorization is prejudice.

The real test is whether you use what you've learned to push people away or to draw them closer.

spin-1/2-nuclei

MBTI Type
INTJ
MBTI is categorization. Categorization is prejudice.

A categorization is not a prejudice by default. If the categorization is based on detailed research and solid facts then it is nothing more than a tool for the organization of knowledge.

The real test is whether you use what you've learned to push people away or to draw them closer.

if you've "learned" something based on a prejudice it's a crap shoot whether or not it's accurate or useful since a prejudice (being a decision based on little or superficial information) isn't likely to teach you anything of much value if it happens to be wrong.

You might think all XXXX's are one way (turns out you're wrong), but every person you meet who is an XXXX you push away thus you miss out.

or you maybe you think all YYYY's are one way (turns out you're wrong), and every person you meet that's a YYYY you draw closer and each one of them proceeds to piss on your life.

It is possible to simply not have an opinion on something or someone until you've gotten all the facts. You can still interact with people without sizing them up before actually getting to know them. Occasionally the environment will force you to make quick decisions with little information but in my opinion that should be the exception not the rule.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Categorization is prejudice.

This is not one of the more intelligent posts in thread.

This, however, is a reasonable point.

If you use typology discriminate, that's your problem. There are plenty of positive ways to use it to better understand others and the subjectivity of your own viewpoint.

Mole

Permabanned
We are pack animals.

And what a magnificent animal is the leader of the pack.

Mothers talk about him, children imitate him, and he bears the weight of the world on his broad shoulders.

We don't vote for him, at times we resent him, and when we are bad, we fear him.

But when we are good, we love to see his broad smile and wagging tail.

All for one, and all for the pack. No animal left behind.

How we love being pack animals.