User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Why do people freak out over individuality?

You don't see type preferences play out in interactions ALL THE DAMN TIME? To the point of people turning themselves into stereotypes--all the damn time?

Like, there's an impressive amount of type-based prejudice against typology, in my humble opinion. People emphasizing their F side dislike the apparent depersonalization, people emphasizing non-judgmentalism dislike the apparent fixity of the rules, people looking for conceptual adequacy dislike the seeming sui generis-ness of it all... (And me, I like it because it appears to work... lo and behold, type preferences playing out again, people seeking effective, efficient answers....)

But ultimately, do you have anything other than personal preferences as dictated by your cognitive preferences against the system?

Or does the disagreement all come from somewhere else?
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I have very little idea what you said, save for, "Not everyone acts the way their type dictates socially, It's not good to stereotype" But the last part, I couldn't exactly understand aside from asking for reasons that you might disagree with the MBTI. I'm sorry, but that's either filled with malapropisms, poor syntax, typos, or any combination thereof. And I can in some ways empathize with your disdain for the MBTI. My motivations are largely based on feelings, in spite of the fact that I believe that reason is the best way to get things done. In short, the MBTI system is supposed to dictate how you interact with the world around you, not what goes on in your mind.
    INTP,
    Neutral Good/Lawful Good even split. 5w4 sp/sx melancholic/supine, even split. Yes, I stole this method of placement from black cat.

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't always act or think exactly as my type description but you know, it's just a way of organizing personality aspects which are common in certain people. I don't use them to stereotype.

MBTI
    INTJ

For better or worse, I don't see the individuality that people keep banging on about. Large chunks of how people respond and what interests they espouse really do seem determined. If you saw one WXYZ on topic T, you haven't seen them all, but you've seen a lot of what any one of them will focus on, where the disagreements and misunderstandings will arise, and all that kind of thing. It's present sufficiently often that, well, seriously, if people can't recognise their own lack of individuality, how do they hope to become individual?
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    INTJ

menounderstandstrangejuxtaposedwords.

Quote Originally Posted by Invisiblemonkey View Post
    My motivations are largely based on feelings, in spite of the fact that I believe that reason is the best way to get things done. In short, the MBTI system is supposed to dictate how you interact with the world around you, not what goes on in your mind.
    Seriously? I'm a completely different type then.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Invisiblemonkey View Post
    In short, the MBTI system is supposed to dictate how you interact with the world around you, not what goes on in your mind.
    Swing and a miss.

MBTI
    INTJ

So anyway... instance individuality, that I can see. Two cookies cut from the same cookie cutter aren't the same cookie. They don't go the same clubs, they don't wear the same pants. They're different. They're unique. Quite similar in some aspects, but still not the same. They go their own way.

They're defined by their differences. One has two kids, the other has twelve. The one with twelve, they call him Carl. He divorced the donut when he caught her sipping too much coffee, if you know what I mean. But the other one, Karl, he's happily married, they just don't want such a big family.

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    ISTP

Because some people like the idea of being a unique and misunderstood snowflake.
    Weathergirl: District 38 is sunny. Slight rock showers this morning. Chance of rock showers into the afternoon—20 percent. District 39 is cloudy. Chance of rock showers this afternoon—10 percent.
    Edward: Bebop here here! Alright woo hoo!
    Weathergirl: Chance of rock showers today upgraded to 90 percent.
    Edward: Really.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

the definition of individuality is paradoxical in many ways. i think the p side just focuses on self-defined values governed by personal experience and personal investigation/rationale. they want to be able to trust their experience and rationale first and foremost beyond any system of language-concepts that they have not experience/rationale-checked.

as predominant left-brained j types we check the language coherency (grammar and semantics) first and foremost. the site of representation, the context, and the empirical evidencing that is outside of us in language and symbolic action. it's a much different focal point, and the burden to communicate in ways that can be meaningful to everyone usually ends up toppling over the whole project. in all discourses.

also, e4 enneagram types are particularly focused on their own uniqueness.

and sx instincts of all types are impatient and extremely willful and hate when they don't get what they want. they're just more confrontational in every avenue regardless of what is at stake. so that further intensifies conflict.