• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI types and Math

What is your type, are you good at math, and do you enjoy doing it?

• I am an NT. I am good at math, and I enjoy doing it.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I am an NT. I am good at math, but I don't enjoy doing it.

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • I am an NT. I am not good at math, and I don't enjoy doing it.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I am an NF. I am good at math, and I enjoy doing it.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I am an NF. I am good at math, but I don't enjoy doing it.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I am an NF. I am not good at math, and I don't enjoy doing it.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • I am an SP. I am good at math, and I enjoy doing it.

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • I am an SP. I am good at math, but I don't enjoy doing it.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I am an SP. I am not good at math, and I don't enjoy doing it.

• I am an SJ. I am good at math, and I enjoy doing it.

• I am an SJ. I am good at math, but I don't enjoy doing it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am an SJ. I am not good at math, and I don't enjoy doing it.

• I don't know my type. I am good at math, and I enjoy doing it.

• I don't know my type. I am good at math, but I don't enjoy doing it.

• I don't know my type. I am not good at math, and I do not enjoy doing it.

• Total voters

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I took calculus for fun, if that answers any questions :)

I also installed a few extra statistical packages, including SPSS on my home computer :ninja:

*Highfives* :D

Love math, always have. It's like a puzzle.

P

Phantonym

I cant really count. Once I get past my eleven fingers I am totally screwed....

:laugh: That's me!

I am definitely not "good" at math and I have never enjoyed it. Calculating things in my head, well, I can do it if seriously needed, but other than that I choose not to do it because it takes a really long time and it's so much more easier just to use a calculator. But as I don't carry one with me at all times, I haven't done any calculating with prices when grocery shopping for years now. And that's about it for math in my daily life.

I was able to maintain a C average in school but, looking back, I might call it a miracle. :smile:

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I've never been good at math...
... but it's an integral part of life...
... in subtle ways...
... from playing a syncopated rhythm on the piano...
... to measuring ingredients for a cake...
... to figuring out the two-point perspective in a painting so that the sidewalk looks flat and the stairs look as if they are really stairs...
... to giving the server the right tip...
it's all math...
Recently, though, I've found that I like playing games with numbers...
it can be fun...

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
NF, bad at math, never liked doing it

this does not include basic math, which is obviously pretty necessary

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
NF, not good at math, don't like it.

But I do keep an A in my math classes because I work around my own short comings.

Math doesn't come easy to me, but that is not an excuse to turn away from it or let your success in it falter. That's just the way I see things.

ph1L

MBTI Type
INTJ
I am NT, and I studied math. But not only liking determined my decision, it was also career chances.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
What with the people who enjoy doing math and aren't good at it?

Like with many things, I've got a love-hate relationship. I love figuring out math problems, but I hate doing problems which I understand right away. I didn't get why you had to do 10 exercises on the same subject if you understood it after the first. So I did one or two and then I started daydreaming, even on a test, so I scored 2/10... And I was seen as slow in math... but I've got my come-back :). First I understood the "inductive proof" used in science (not math): in order to convince the teacher that you indeed understand, you've got to do it more than once. And then, of course, there was more challenging math with problems that were real puzzles for me. I got interested and if I'm really interested into something, nothing can stop me :D

swift sylvan

MBTI Type
NiTi
It appears that possibly from the data collected so far in this poll, that people who care about MBTI enough to use the internet to discuss it on forums tend to be good at and enjoy using math (self-assessment)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Carl Jung's opinion on math and intelligence:

"It is an assinine prejudice that mathematics has anything to do with the training of the mind . . . Mathematics is not a function of intelligence or logic.
It is a particular gift, like music. You also find a mathematical talent with individuals that are idiotic in every other respect."

Did you make this up?

gromit

likes this
I am not sure on my type (something FP), but I like math and used to be good at it when I took classes. I haven't had much reason to use calculus or statistics or differential equations these days, though, so I'm afraid I don't remember that much of it all...

However, I have confidence that if I needed to I could pick it back up fairly easily.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't like it enough to know if I'm good at it.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I wonder why this question seems so important. Do people think it's a measure of raw intelligence?
There are definitely people that think being good at math means being intelligent. I'm not sure if this is a general perception or if this is just a few people here and there.

On another forum I visit, a recent poll was about which college major is the hardest. My answer was that it depends who you are, but all of the poll choices were math heavy. All the geeks basically circle jerked about who was smarter talking about all the math they did in college. It was quite comical to me really, because I know there are subjects that any one of them would have found more difficult than the ones they were discussing. More people-oriented stuff most likely.

I am NF and I am good at math and I enjoy doing it.

Yloh

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm not so good at number crunching, but I can understand math much faster than the average person.

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I can't participate in the poll.

You forgot "I'm not good at math but I enjoy doing it." :(

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I can't participate in the poll.

You forgot "I'm not good at math but I enjoy doing it." :(
I've said the same but I didn't know if there really were people who aren't good but still enjoyed it. An example! YAY! Let's spread the "math is fun" meme!
The set-up of the poll is biased... not enjoying math seems the norm... If you can enjoy sports even if you have a feeble condition (me); then surely you can enjoy maths whatever your level.
Chunes, I don't know your level at math, but I hope you have access to gems such as the "square root of two is not a rational" proof or the proof that you can't count the real numbers.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hope this thread enlarges. It would be interesting if Math is truly where NT's at.(because chances are, if you enjoy it, you're good at it.) The true question is do NT's generally enjoy math? The sample would still be too small though, mainly because NT's and NF's are largely populated as oppose to SP's and SJ's. This is then NT vs. NF. Which enjoys it more?

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think math is the ultimate NTP domain. I mean, abstract and internally logic? Discussing theories and ideas while checking it on logic? It's the N side that's extraverted, the T side that's introverted. Math makes only sense within itself.
TeNi combo (NTJ) conquers the world, instead. That's keeping ideas to yourself and expressing your goal-oriented side.

Of course, that doesn't mean an ENTP can't prefer physics. Nor that an NF should hate math.
Nobody should hate math.