• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI types and Math

What is your type, are you good at math, and do you enjoy doing it?

• I am an NT. I am good at math, and I enjoy doing it.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I am an NT. I am good at math, but I don't enjoy doing it.

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • I am an NT. I am not good at math, and I don't enjoy doing it.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I am an NF. I am good at math, and I enjoy doing it.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I am an NF. I am good at math, but I don't enjoy doing it.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I am an NF. I am not good at math, and I don't enjoy doing it.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • I am an SP. I am good at math, and I enjoy doing it.

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • I am an SP. I am good at math, but I don't enjoy doing it.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I am an SP. I am not good at math, and I don't enjoy doing it.

• I am an SJ. I am good at math, and I enjoy doing it.

• I am an SJ. I am good at math, but I don't enjoy doing it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am an SJ. I am not good at math, and I don't enjoy doing it.

• I don't know my type. I am good at math, and I enjoy doing it.

• I don't know my type. I am good at math, but I don't enjoy doing it.

• I don't know my type. I am not good at math, and I do not enjoy doing it.

• Total voters

paradox fox

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Based on the thread Are all NTs good at math?

Let me ask you: What's your type and are you good at math?

"Good at math" can mean a variety of things: calculating things in your head, learning new mathematical concepts, using math in your daily life, explaining how it works, whatever. If you or others consider you good at it, in whatever capacity, let's hear about it. Also, do you enjoy doing math?

Have at it!

Jaguar

I wonder why this question seems so important. Do people think it's a measure of raw intelligence?

Carl Jung's opinion on math and intelligence:

"It is an assinine prejudice that mathematics has anything to do with the training of the mind . . . Mathematics is not a function of intelligence or logic.
It is a particular gift, like music. You also find a mathematical talent with individuals that are idiotic in every other respect."

sculpting

I cant really count. Once I get past my eleven fingers I am totally screwed....

Tom

MBTI Type
Jipe
Enneagram
Memb
NF - Went for Good/Don't enjoy. Although I do to a degree, in small doses, and when alternatives are few.

KDude

My math skills are reflective of level/time spent in school. Everything I know was what I learned there..what I was specifically taught.

And on a sidenote, I'm a dropout (or rather, I left highschool with a GED). Technically, I only had 8th grade skills for awhile (seeing that I kept getting expelled and barely experienced highschool education).. but then, I jumped into college at 17, and start learning math on that level. This all tells me that, for the most part, it's a learned skill. I'm sure that I have a breaking point and all that, but... I'm not sure what it is.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am an NT. I am good at math, and I greatly enjoy doing it.

Tecla

MBTI Type
INTP
I voted not good, doesn't enjoy. I was never terrible at it, but I either got the lesson or didn't. The doesn't enjoy part comes into play as I wouldn't bother to learn what I didn't initially pick up on.

ilovereeses

MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm really good at algebra, but not simple math...like when you want to tip your waiter 20% of the check...takes me a while.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Good at it and I enjoy it on some level, but not like I love the arts. I tutor HS students in math for extra cash & I enjoy teaching them actually.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Hard to tell. I was very good early on, later got a bit weaker at school... probably because I was just being too lazy to learn really, didn't to homework etc.; still was in advanced math course and made my Abitur among others in Maths, with average grade. Sometimes was still having very good grades (when I learned a bit, heh).

So I would say there are people who are better, but I was still better than the average I guess. If I would learn more I could be pretty good I think. Now at studies I have to do some maths again, but it is basically stuff we made already at school, just explained in complicated. More theory, less praxis.

Well, I voted for NF + good + enjoy at end. Actually when I have any clue about what to do, I even enjoy doing it, although it is not my favourite task I would live for.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm really good at algebra, but not simple math...like when you want to tip your waiter 20% of the check...takes me a while.
Pretty typical for an N. I'm actually weird in that I am good at number-crunching.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This site is like 85% N, though. I assume SJs are good at number-crunching.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
NF, not the best at math, but I really like the theory behind it. I'm better at geometry or math that has a formula I can apply to things. I like trigonometry and physics based math. Word problems and arithmetic are lost on me. I appreciate the theories behind calculus, I think it is a work of genius (thank you Issac Newton!), still, I probably couldn't solve the problems very well. It's a weird relationship I have with math, something I admire, but not gifted in it.

In terms of the logical/mathematical section of Gardner's Multiple intelligences, I am great with deductive reasoning/ empiricism, but don't ask me to do a math problem!

paradox fox

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My math teacher kept saying how impressed she was at my math skills. But honestly, the only reason I'm any good at math at all is because of her. She's an awesome teacher. My strong point is algebra, and I like doing percentages and stuff, but doing math in my head... is not good. Blargh. (I don't LURVE it, but) it's all very well if I myself decide to do some math, but if I'm under some kind of pressure (like on a test or in a game) I hate it. I just can't think that fast on my feet when it comes to math.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I took calculus for fun, if that answers any questions :)

I also installed a few extra statistical packages, including SPSS on my home computer :ninja:

Super Nova

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w5

I'm the opposite way. I can figure tips fairly easily, but I'm not particularly good at higher maths.