• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tertiary temptation

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've read this link
Tertiary Temptation
and find it very interesting, even though I could use more information :)....

I've read that some people had difficulties with finding their type because they were "caught in a loop of" using their tertiary function and having weakly developed auxiliary functions....
do you think it's possible that people appear as different types from what they are due to this?
how would an INFP caught in a Si-loop appear? Or an INTP? Or ISFP?

Little_Sticks

I'll play, I'm taking the unhealthy loop approach in explanation

INFP - Fi+Si - I know what is right and correct and what I want and who I am and want to be, but the facts are the facts and I can't change them. I need to protect myself and live with how things are until I have a chance to change them.

INTP - Ti+Si - I can only be certain of facts. People and theory are so subjective and useless at times, I must distance myself from them and only spend my pursuits learning certain unquestionable knowledge. Without such knowledge I run the risk of being wrong; and I don't like being wrong, my brain is my most capable weapon and without it, the world forces me to fall prey to their inferior intellects. I can not let this happen, I am smarter than this, this will not happen.

ISFP - Fi+Ni - No one seems to care about what I value and hold dear. I see through it all, people are selfish bastards corrupted to the core. I must withdraw and protect myself. People aren't to be trusted. I will do whatever I must to defend myself from their ugliness. I will get through this and cherish and nurture what I love about the world and life itself.

?????

MBTI Type
INFJ

INFP - Fi+Si - I know what is right and correct and what I want and who I am and want to be, but the facts are the facts and I can't change them. I need to protect myself and live with how things are until I have a chance to change them.

INTP - Ti+Si - I can only be certain of facts. People and theory are so subjective and useless at times, I must distance myself from them and only spend my pursuits learning certain unquestionable knowledge. Without such knowledge I run the risk of being wrong; and I don't like being wrong, my brain is my most capable weapon and without it, the world forces me to fall prey to their inferior intellects. I can not let this happen, I am smarter than this, this will not happen.

ISFP - Fi+Ni - No one seems to care about what I value and hold dear. I see through it all, people are selfish bastards corrupted to the core. I must withdraw and protect myself. People aren't to be trusted. I will do whatever I must to defend myself from their ugliness. I will get through this and cherish and nurture what I love about the world and life itself.

?????

wow, that sounds brilliant! thanx so much :hug:! I guess I know at least two people who could be an INFP and an INTP in a tertiary loop :yes:....
erm, could you maybe also give such good explanations of possible
Ni+Ti and Ni+Fi-loops :cheese:? Only if that is not too much an effort....

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I've read this link
Tertiary Temptation
and find it very interesting, even though I could use more information :)....

I've read that some people had difficulties with finding their type because they were "caught in a loop of" using their tertiary function and having weakly developed auxiliary functions....
do you think it's possible that people appear as different types from what they are due to this?
how would an INFP caught in a Si-loop appear? Or an INTP? Or ISFP?

It can definitely lead to mistyping, especially amongst people who use the I vs E, S vs N methodology as the tertiary temptation makes the auxillary appear to be in the wrong sense. So a ESTP who uses their Fe instead of Ti ends up beng typed as an ESFP.

Generally, the tertiary temptation leads to a self-inhibiting state, as the person refuses to either act (double introversion) or contemplate (double extraversion). If you see an introvert worrying themselves into complete paralysis or an extravert working themselves into such a frenzy that they never pause to think about what's actually going on, look to the tertiary.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

?????

Oooh! Oooh! Do more! ISTP? :D

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:rofl1: I love this!!!

Tertiary Fe (ExTP): "I'll lay a guilt trip on this guy, tell him all I've done for him and suggest that the next time he's in a tough spot, he might need my help. Well, hmm, ok, I'll be all friendly. I'll smile, tell him I like him, what a great guy he is. Well, hmm, that's not working, either. Ok, I'll make him look bad in the eyes of his friends." The Secondary Function (Ti) would say: "What is the truth? Not what people would agree is true, not an angle on the truth for making it palatable to someone, but the whole, honest truth?"

I've thought many times before "I'll be so nice and friendly that he's just going to squirm in his seat... that'll show the bastard!" :devil:

Jaguar

I couldn't identify with any of the comments.
But then that website is authored by a self-proclaimed INTP - not Lenore Thomson.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
Hey Little sticks, your breakdown is like f***ing candy to me, 1/2 & 1/2, and steph. :O

I certainly wouldn't want to come up against an ENXJ only being guided by Je and Se. Extreme rage! I'm a little crazy but I can imagine them going off the deep end and it not turning out well.

Little_Sticks

Sorry, those types are coincidentally the only types I feel comfortable suggesting such a thing about, but I could try as an attempt to give someone else a better idea or spark a better explanation.

I don't want to do it now though lol.

Invisiblemonkey

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
INTP in an Si Loop... Quietly waiting until you find somewhere where you can insert yourself into a social situation.
Repeat Ad Nauseum, and you have a recluse that stands at the edge of a room in the corner, because people are
talking about a shared experience, thus barring them from attempting to make new contact. Si+Fe is really what
prevents me from getting into social situations, should I desire to.