User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Talking If my inferior is Se, then how can I drive a car?

So, I've been driving for more than 20 years. No real accidents to speak of (one 16 year hit me from behind and sheared off a bumper 10 years ago). You might say I'm a pretty good driver.

It seems that people who are dominant or auxiliary Se would have an inherent advantage in doing this activity.

For me, while being very aware of the upcoming terrain, what's happening way in front and to the side, and predicting the behaviors of other cars based on some nuance of their behavior that I'm typically unsure of, driving seems like pretty much an unconscious process. I spend most of the time zoned out or thinking about more interesting things. Would it be like that for a Dom or Aux Se? How do other people experience this activity?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

on the other hand, I'm a Se dom and such a terrible driver that I've all but given up and bought a bicycle

In other words, hopefully someone answers your question
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    on the other hand, I'm a Se dom and such a terrible driver that I've all but given up and bought a bicycle

In other words, hopefully someone answers your question
    I am so happy

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Se, or any other function, as a "preference" (in a type) is just a chosen perspective by which to perceive or judge the world through. They're not skills, that only some can do.

Now someone who prefers Se will likely be more inclined to the attention to current physical context required by driving. On the other hand, they can also possibly become overconfident in this and take risks that others wouldn't. So they can be just as prone to accidents as anyone else.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

It's hard for me to describe my experience. I'm never really zoned out when I drive, but I'm definitely having conversations with myself and thinking of things that are more interesting to me. Doing so doesn't change the fact that I'm a very present driver and rarely miss what's going on around me. My husband on the other hand is very much "Look, there's a bird!!!", and begins to veer off into the direction that catches his attention, which is terrifying. His Se is very high. It could work for or against someone. I'm drawn towards perfectionism when doing high risk Se-type task, aware of the fact that present mindedness is rarely me. It's likely that many Se-doms take their present mindedness for granted, taking unnecessary risk because they believe themselves to be masterful enough to manage.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

I can reflect a bit while driving too. Especially in familiar territory.

It might be more telling how you're like in new territory..like can you keep alert, not get turned around too much/lost..find where you need to be quickly? Or in a performance type of situation.. have you ever hydroplaned into a 360 and manuevered out of it, not even stopping? if someone walked up to the front of your car with a gun pointed at your windshield, could you reverse gun it, and then spin 180 out of a parking lot -- then get in gear and gun forward - all while you're ducking down and not even looking at the road? I can do these things because I'm a sensor, I think.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I'm the "look, there's a bird!" type. So it's a good thing that I prefer walking to driving cars.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    driving seems like pretty much an unconscious process. I spend most of the time zoned out or thinking about more interesting things.
    what

how

I prefer to walk because I find driving too distracting
    Hello

With Se in last place I have totaled three cars, but I saw endless possibilities the whole time.

(I once hit a car at a red light for no reason. I just didn't quite see them.)

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Function ≠ Abilty

/thread
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations