• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

If my inferior is Se, then how can I drive a car?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, I've been driving for more than 20 years. No real accidents to speak of (one 16 year hit me from behind and sheared off a bumper 10 years ago). You might say I'm a pretty good driver.

It seems that people who are dominant or auxiliary Se would have an inherent advantage in doing this activity.

For me, while being very aware of the upcoming terrain, what's happening way in front and to the side, and predicting the behaviors of other cars based on some nuance of their behavior that I'm typically unsure of, driving seems like pretty much an unconscious process. I spend most of the time zoned out or thinking about more interesting things. Would it be like that for a Dom or Aux Se? How do other people experience this activity?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
on the other hand, I'm a Se dom and such a terrible driver that I've all but given up and bought a bicycle :blush:

In other words, hopefully someone answers your question :laugh:

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
on the other hand, I'm a Se dom and such a terrible driver that I've all but given up and bought a bicycle :blush:

In other words, hopefully someone answers your question :laugh:
I am so happy :)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Se, or any other function, as a "preference" (in a type) is just a chosen perspective by which to perceive or judge the world through. They're not skills, that only some can do.

Now someone who prefers Se will likely be more inclined to the attention to current physical context required by driving. On the other hand, they can also possibly become overconfident in this and take risks that others wouldn't. So they can be just as prone to accidents as anyone else.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
It's hard for me to describe my experience. I'm never really zoned out when I drive, but I'm definitely having conversations with myself and thinking of things that are more interesting to me. Doing so doesn't change the fact that I'm a very present driver and rarely miss what's going on around me. My husband on the other hand is very much "Look, there's a bird!!!", and begins to veer off into the direction that catches his attention, which is terrifying. His Se is very high. It could work for or against someone. I'm drawn towards perfectionism when doing high risk Se-type task, aware of the fact that present mindedness is rarely me. It's likely that many Se-doms take their present mindedness for granted, taking unnecessary risk because they believe themselves to be masterful enough to manage.

KDude

I can reflect a bit while driving too. Especially in familiar territory.

It might be more telling how you're like in new territory..like can you keep alert, not get turned around too much/lost..find where you need to be quickly? Or in a performance type of situation.. have you ever hydroplaned into a 360 and manuevered out of it, not even stopping? if someone walked up to the front of your car with a gun pointed at your windshield, could you reverse gun it, and then spin 180 out of a parking lot -- then get in gear and gun forward - all while you're ducking down and not even looking at the road? I can do these things because I'm a sensor, I think.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I'm the "look, there's a bird!" type. So it's a good thing that I prefer walking to driving cars.

sculpting

With Se in last place I have totaled three cars, but I saw endless possibilities the whole time.

(I once hit a car at a red light for no reason. I just didn't quite see them.)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I know I don't have lightning reflexes, etc so I tend to drive at a reasonable speed and try to play it safe. I don't tailgate and or pass unnecessarily, etc. I've had a couple of at-fault fender benders but no major accidents and I've never had a speeding ticket in the 20+ years I've been driving.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I like to think that I'm in the "Hey look, a bird!!" group as well. I'm just learning how to drive, but I do get afraid that I'm going to find something interesting to look at while I'm driving and eventually crash. :blush:

something boring

MBTI Type
nnja
Enneagram
4w5
I know I don't have lightning reflexes, etc so I tend to drive at a reasonable speed and try to play it safe. I don't tailgate and or pass unnecessarily, etc. I've had a couple of at-fault fender benders but no major accidents and I've never had a speeding ticket in the 20+ years I've been driving.

Me too, except for one speeding ticket. I was in unfamiliar territory and heavily involved in an interesting conversation with a passenger. The speed limit suddenly lowered and I apparently missed the sign. I also tend to have trouble paying attention navigation-wise during interesting conversations.

KDude

I guess I don't talk much while driving. But that's partly because I like blasting my stereo too.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Good point. Defensive driving is probably a big part of it. You don't have to react as quickly if there is enough distance between yourself and other cars :doh: I've had several accidents occur right in front of me (jack-knife, 360 in the middle of expressway, SUVs flip over). As long as you're following at a safe distance you can stop/slow down.

I can reflect a bit while driving too. Especially in familiar territory.

It might be more telling how you're like in new territory..like can you keep alert, not get turned around too much/lost..find where you need to be quickly? Or in a performance type of situation.. have you ever hydroplaned into a 360 and manuevered out of it, not even stopping? if someone walked up to the front of your car with a gun pointed at your windshield, could you reverse gun it, and then spin 180 out of a parking lot -- then get in gear and gun forward - all while you're ducking down and not even looking at the road? I can do these things because I'm a sensor, I think.

Hydroplaning always scares the shit out of me - wakes you up for sure.

Cell phones are probably the worst thing. It seems like a matter of time before they outlaw them in cars. Studies show that it makes no difference if you're using a blue tooth or handsfree. Those new laws aren't working.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Try driving with an eighth Se.
It totally stresses me out. You've got to keep attention on reality all the time. Apparently, I can keep it well enough... but I hate driving.

KDude

Good point. Defensive driving is probably a big part of it. You don't have to react as quickly if there is enough distance between yourself and other cars :doh: I've had several accidents occur right in front of me (jack-knife, 360 in the middle of expressway, SUVs flip over). As long as you're following at a safe distance you can stop/slow down.

Hydroplaning always scares the shit out of me - wakes you up for sure.

Cell phones are probably the worst thing. It seems like a matter of time before they outlaw them in cars. Studies show that it makes no difference if you're using a blue tooth or handsfree. Those new laws aren't working.

oh it scares me too. just wondering how you manage is all. doing a full spin like that is a combo of really bad weather, plus cockyness..and the cockyness is my fault.. but to get out of the spin probably takes some good sensory awareness either way. maybe?

edit: deleted a dorky diagram here :laugh: line breaks weren't showing up right. i was going to talk about moving through gaps in lanes, but whatever.

Little_Sticks

This is really interesting. I have always wondered how I managed to beat the statistical odds when the friends I know have all been in an accident at some point in their lives. I know it definitely comes down to experience as a factor, but I notice that since I tend to day-dream and wander out of reality while I drive that I have built up some really good instinctive contingency plans for making sure I don't get in an accident.

The most important one is that I always keep a good following distance. Where I live this sometimes bugs people behind me and they will pass me and then get in front of me for it, but it's kind of the exception. It seems people like to tailgate and they think they will have the reflexes and time to stop, but this is where many fender-benders often happen.

I don't count speeding tickets for rating a person's accident-proneness since it is more of a tool to keep people around a similar speed than it is a logical suggestion of what speed is safest to drive on a road.

This reminds me of a video :D

[YOUTUBE="D827IxEJVS4"]Made To Kill[/YOUTUBE]