User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I know I don't have lightning reflexes, etc so I tend to drive at a reasonable speed and try to play it safe. I don't tailgate and or pass unnecessarily, etc. I've had a couple of at-fault fender benders but no major accidents and I've never had a speeding ticket in the 20+ years I've been driving.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Function ≠ Abilty
    You're an SP. You can't possibly see the big picture or imagine possibilities.

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

I like to think that I'm in the "Hey look, a bird!!" group as well. I'm just learning how to drive, but I do get afraid that I'm going to find something interesting to look at while I'm driving and eventually crash.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    You're an SP. You can't possibly see the big picture or imagine possibilities.
    Huhhh...

You have a pretty kitty-cat picture!
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    nnja
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I know I don't have lightning reflexes, etc so I tend to drive at a reasonable speed and try to play it safe. I don't tailgate and or pass unnecessarily, etc. I've had a couple of at-fault fender benders but no major accidents and I've never had a speeding ticket in the 20+ years I've been driving.
    Me too, except for one speeding ticket. I was in unfamiliar territory and heavily involved in an interesting conversation with a passenger. The speed limit suddenly lowered and I apparently missed the sign. I also tend to have trouble paying attention navigation-wise during interesting conversations.
    "Don�t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman

[SIGPIC]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l110/evillinclinations/fortune45.gif[/SIGPIC]

...and yes, I'm still on about that...

I guess I don't talk much while driving. But that's partly because I like blasting my stereo too.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Good point. Defensive driving is probably a big part of it. You don't have to react as quickly if there is enough distance between yourself and other cars I've had several accidents occur right in front of me (jack-knife, 360 in the middle of expressway, SUVs flip over). As long as you're following at a safe distance you can stop/slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I can reflect a bit while driving too. Especially in familiar territory.

It might be more telling how you're like in new territory..like can you keep alert, not get turned around too much/lost..find where you need to be quickly? Or in a performance type of situation.. have you ever hydroplaned into a 360 and manuevered out of it, not even stopping? if someone walked up to the front of your car with a gun pointed at your windshield, could you reverse gun it, and then spin 180 out of a parking lot -- then get in gear and gun forward - all while you're ducking down and not even looking at the road? I can do these things because I'm a sensor, I think.
    Hydroplaning always scares the shit out of me - wakes you up for sure.

Cell phones are probably the worst thing. It seems like a matter of time before they outlaw them in cars. Studies show that it makes no difference if you're using a blue tooth or handsfree. Those new laws aren't working.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENTP

Try driving with an eighth Se.
    It totally stresses me out. You've got to keep attention on reality all the time. Apparently, I can keep it well enough... but I hate driving.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    Good point. Defensive driving is probably a big part of it. You don't have to react as quickly if there is enough distance between yourself and other cars I've had several accidents occur right in front of me (jack-knife, 360 in the middle of expressway, SUVs flip over). As long as you're following at a safe distance you can stop/slow down.

Hydroplaning always scares the shit out of me - wakes you up for sure.

Cell phones are probably the worst thing. It seems like a matter of time before they outlaw them in cars. Studies show that it makes no difference if you're using a blue tooth or handsfree. Those new laws aren't working.

oh it scares me too. just wondering how you manage is all. doing a full spin like that is a combo of really bad weather, plus cockyness..and the cockyness is my fault.. but to get out of the spin probably takes some good sensory awareness either way. maybe?

edit: deleted a dorky diagram here line breaks weren't showing up right. i was going to talk about moving through gaps in lanes, but whatever.

This is really interesting. I have always wondered how I managed to beat the statistical odds when the friends I know have all been in an accident at some point in their lives. I know it definitely comes down to experience as a factor, but I notice that since I tend to day-dream and wander out of reality while I drive that I have built up some really good instinctive contingency plans for making sure I don't get in an accident.

The most important one is that I always keep a good following distance. Where I live this sometimes bugs people behind me and they will pass me and then get in front of me for it, but it's kind of the exception. It seems people like to tailgate and they think they will have the reflexes and time to stop, but this is where many fender-benders often happen.

I don't count speeding tickets for rating a person's accident-proneness since it is more of a tool to keep people around a similar speed than it is a logical suggestion of what speed is safest to drive on a road.

This reminds me of a video

[YOUTUBE="D827IxEJVS4"]Made To Kill[/YOUTUBE]