User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default MBTI and styles of writing

I was thinking about how different MBTI types would vary in their style of writing. I'm not sure but I think these ideas might be close to reality. Also the characters would probably be closish in personality to the writer for the most part.

An E would focus on a larger group of characters who were nearly equally developed and the focus would move around.
    An I would focus mostly on one or a few characters who would have stronger development than the subcharacters.

An S would put a lot of detail into the environment and situation and would be more action oriented.
    An N would place emphasis on puzzles and riddles, internal thought and abstract forms of storytelling.

An F would emphasize the characters emotions and would be more likely to write about relationships and romance.
    A T would emphasize on the plot and include be more likely to write about mystery or science fiction.

A P would have a more open and expansive plotline that leaves many plot points open and unresolved.
    A J would have a more restricted and linear plot where all the plot points are resolved and there are few questions remaining at the end.

So do youo think these are accurate? Also, what do you think would be different between writing styles of different types?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

Awesome topic.

An E would focus on a larger group of characters who were nearly equally developed and the focus would move around.
    An I would focus mostly on one or a few characters who would have stronger development than the sub characters.
    I have a huge preference for first person and might always. I find it to be most natural and comfortable and efficient for 'looking within a character' and I enjoy a lot of first person, main character driven books. I don't know necessarily if this comes from my introversion but perhaps my lack of multiple understanding in a way that I can develop a variety of characters. My characters are all myself, really, in emphasized ways.

An S would put a lot of detail into the environment and situation and would be more action oriented.
    An N would place emphasis on puzzles and riddles, internal thought and abstract forms of storytelling.
    I love stories with abstract forms of storytelling. Mystery and science fiction bores me to death. I enjoy a lot of introspection and observation of quirkiness. I like big, deep connections and ideas. And I thrive to do the same thing, what I question in 'real life' is what I question in writing, what I observe is the same, etc. But, I also do emphasis on the five senses, but looking back, yes, a lot of abstraction.

Example: "It started raining after breakfast. The roof next door was flat and the rain turned the dark space into a hundred winking silver circles. The clothes on the hangers rotated wildly. Our window frames were as thin as pencils."

An F would emphasize the characters emotions and would be more likely to write about relationships and romance.
    Correct. But, most books whether by Fs or Ts have love stories in them. It seems a worthwhile topic to explore over and over again. Love, death, war.

A P would have a more open and expansive plot line that leaves many plot points open and unresolved.
    Correct. I like to be ambiguous and open. No idea is concretely expressed, but sort of 'suggested' upon the readers, let them come to their own conclusions and leave them room for their own interpretation.

garbage

If I could, I'd write every single short story and proposal in one sentence that sums it up

e.g.

"Basically, uh, we're gonna use Google-like search technology to solve your problem."

"The issue with this type of simulation protocol is its network overhead."

Ideally, I'd never go into detail or reason out my thoughts. Because, you know, I know my thoughts already, and I shouldn't have to get them out there and organize them!! :steam:

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

oh f^^k! I have a little E living in me!

I wrote the ocassional story that expanded so much that I couldn't decide which trail of thought to choose next, and then eventually I'd come up with an idea that would involve me writing the whole first part again... and I could never develop the main character, all of the other characters had really cool parts and heaps of whacked up history. The main character was almost mute. I naturally write in first person, present tense, it bugs me that I have to write past tense in some practicals.

Well, that pins me as ENTP anyway, my plots get really out of hand fast, within a few paragraphs someone is being teleported to a crazy f^^ked up universe full of space travelling pegasi (pegusus'??) and highly advanced chimps. I do love planning out specific aspects of a story too, drawing a detailed map, or outlining terminology/creatures/history.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    Awesome topic.

I have a huge preference for first person and might always. I find it to be most natural and comfortable and efficient for 'looking within a character' and I enjoy a lot of first person, main character driven books. I don't know necessarily if this comes from my introversion but perhaps my lack of multiple understanding in a way that I can develop a variety of characters. My characters are all myself, really, in emphasized ways.

I love stories with abstract forms of storytelling. Mystery and science fiction bores me to death. I enjoy a lot of introspection and observation of quirkiness. I like big, deep connections and ideas. And I thrive to do the same thing, what I question in 'real life' is what I question in writing, what I observe is the same, etc. But, I also do emphasis on the five senses, but looking back, yes, a lot of abstraction.

Example: "It started raining after breakfast. The roof next door was flat and the rain turned the dark space into a hundred winking silver circles. The clothes on the hangers rotated wildly. Our window frames were as thin as pencils."

Correct. But, most books whether by Fs or Ts have love stories in them. It seems a worthwhile topic to explore over and over again. Love, death, war.

Correct. I like to be ambiguous and open. No idea is concretely expressed, but sort of 'suggested' upon the readers, let them come to their own conclusions and leave them room for their own interpretation.
    First of all, it looks like you're an INTP, not INFP. As for this topic, I agree with the OP's thoughts. The same logic could probably be applied to each type's preference in books, and also movies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by goodgrief View Post
    I was thinking about how different MBTI types would vary in their style of writing.
    Rather than being based on evidence and reason, graphology is a confidence trick and a fraud like astrology, homeopathy, alchemy, creationism, phrenology, Lysenkoism or MBTI.

To believe such New Age nostrums is demeaning.

MBTI
    INTJ

I won't bother getting into an argument here, Victor, but let me just say that MBTI isn't something randomly decided to be true and applied to peoples personalities in the way that those things are decided true and then applied to their respective subjects. In contrast, MBTI is based off peoples personalities categorised into distinct groups of tendency and then used to help understand people. There is no point going on an MBTI forum just to insult it.

There is no point going on an MBTI forum just to insult it.
    But there is some point in going onto an MBTI forum and telling the truth.

And anyway, this is not an MBTI forum this is a Typology forum.

But still a good place to tell the truth.

MBTI
    INTJ

Look I don't believe in God but you don't see me joining a forum on religions just to say they suck. Forget it. You're not going to convert anyone or they wouldn't be on here in the first place.

The Antidote

Look I don't believe in God but you don't see me joining a forum on religions just to say they suck. Forget it. You're not going to convert anyone or they wouldn't be on here in the first place.
    When I first joined 5,370 post ago, no one critiqued MBTI. Now the critique of MBTI is commonplace.

So it only takes one person to tell the truth and then it is contagious.

Unfortunately it takes a world wide American cult to tell a lie, which is also contagious.

Fortunately the truth is an antidote to a lie.