• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

someone please explain Ni to me!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
so like endothermic v exothermic brain activity almost? :huh:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so in a way, Ni is like Ne hidden in the back of the mind connecting knowlege without the need of it being explicit, much like Si is Se hidden in the back of the mind connecting knowlege without needing to taste at, sniff and stare at everything sort of.... :huh:

I like this.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
It's not a technical definition, but this is what I experience:

- Synthesizing large amounts of disconnected information (big picture, details, past, present, potential future, etc.), looking at things holistically
- A realization, or "aha" moment such as an idea occurring to you, an understanding, or you know the direction to go (or not to go)
- There is a theme of changing the context in which things are looked at and viewing them through a different lens
- You haven't analyzed all the options or scenarios in any coherent way; you just know; there is a level of certainty associated with it - it may be connected to a probability - but in either case, you feel compelled to act upon this understanding
- A general difficulty in communicating to others or even understanding yourself as to how you got there

The ideas or direction may not even be fully formed which makes it even harder to articulate yourself. I find that by writing things down, it helps to crystallize the thoughts, or if you talk through them with other trusted colleagues, you can sometimes get them better articulated

Dingdingding! :yes: Pay the man, Shirley.

This is pretty much the way it is for me. The closest yet, anyway. :)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
As a Ni secondary, for me it's about disconnecting from reality in order to understand the common underlying theme among a series of experiences. From this theme you can build a relatively vague abstract model, which may be used for predictions.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would say another example of Ni is this:
Celebrities Don't Really Die in Threes ... Do They? | PopEater.com

In this case, "threeness" is the "framework" or "template" that Ni references. The article mentions where the significance of it comes from (remember, Ni deals in revealing significance). Hence, those that trust the function can be able to have a "knowing" that one or two others (not necessarily who, though) will die based on the pattern that has been seen.
It's just one of those strange patterns in life. While the article says "It's just never true that they die in threes. There are always more or less, but people try to fit it into a three." Two deaths may happen and we add a random, close enough third to it. Or there are four, but we dismiss the third to keep to our 'deaths happen in threes' rule.

Still, they do seen to come in "rashes" as I call it.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
so we have Ni to blame for the Bermuda Triangle..... :thinking:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
K..once more, I'm having trouble seeing where Ne stops and Ni picks up :shock:

Also..how does it differ from Si? I mean...if it synthesizes information already in your database/brain..isn't that Si?

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
At the highest level, it's kind of a supercomputer. As long as the computer has a program to solve what you're looking at, you can toss a problem at it, and get a solution. In my case, I'll toss things between Ni and Te and iterate to a real solution to a very complicated problem remarkably quickly. If I used "just Te", I'd get nowhere, and "just Ni" would give me a list of guesses. Ni and Te can cycle back and forth, leapfrogging each other to arrive at the solution. Given a needle in a haystack, Te would methodically start searching through the haystack. Ni would mention that a magnet or an electromagnet might be really useful. Te gets the electromagnet (somehow) and find the needle in a jiff.

Great description :yes: -

...when I use Ni and Te together with Fi, I gather all of the incidental Si I have salted away without being aware and my brain sees a multi-dimensional visual map of possibilities, consequences and general cause and effect. I can then trace that back to construct a rational argument or hypothesis (or interpretation if you wish) that others can understand, rather than just providing them with what to them is a loosely based instinctive statement that may or may not hold water.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
so like endothermic v exothermic brain activity almost? :huh:

That's about right: Both cases are best dealt with with the judicious application of a supply of ice-cold water, also known as "reality".

If you meet an Ni dominant, throw a bucket of cold water over the poor dears as soon as they start talking nonsense. It means their brains are overheating from too much thinking, you can do them a real service by stopping the process before they become softboiled in their own heads.

If you meet an Ne dominant, beware - they have pyrokinetic powers which they may not be able to control. Be very afraid! And make sure you keep that bucket of water handy in case they get over-excited and start up little blazes all around. DO NOT throw the water on them personally; it's needed to stop a conflagration building up around from all the small fires if they're left uncontrolled, and besides, they probably won't even notice.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
K..once more, I'm having trouble seeing where Ne stops and Ni picks up :shock:

Also..how does it differ from Si? I mean...if it synthesizes information already in your database/brain..isn't that Si?

Si is a more conscious noticing of sensory information than Ni. In Thom Hartman's ADHD a Different Perception he describes those with ADHD as Hunters who have to respond immediately to prevailing conditions based on instinctive sense and Farmers as being very reliant on the overtly observable and predictable cause and effect like Seasons, weather, moon cycle, sunrise/sunset etc.

I have often thought that his description is very much like the difference between abstraction, with its leaps of association, and linear thought, and similar to the P/J and the N/S dichotomies.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
That's about right: Both cases are best dealt with with the judicious application of a supply of ice-cold water, also known as "reality".

If you meet an Ni dominant, throw a bucket of cold water over the poor dears as soon as they start talking nonsense. It means their brains are overheating from too much thinking, you can do them a real service by stopping the process before they become softboiled in their own heads.

If you meet an Ne dominant, beware - they have pyrokinetic powers which they may not be able to control. Be very afraid! And make sure you keep that bucket of water handy in case they get over-excited and start up little blazes all around. DO NOT throw the water on them personally; it's needed to stop a conflagration building up around from all the small fires if they're left uncontrolled, and besides, they probably won't even notice.
You are VERY good !!:rofl1:

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Perhaps these fellows can explain Ni:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIV4KLCmJ98"]Ni explained[/YOUTUBE]

I want a shrubbery.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
^ Every Ni type wishes their Ni had that kind of power over the minds of others...

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Perhaps these fellows can explain Ni:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIV4KLCmJ98"]Ni explained[/YOUTUBE]

I want a shrubbery.

:worthy:

kevrawlings

MBTI Type
ISTP
IMO Introverted intuition is the idea that you know things internally, and it manifests itself as confidence. A lot of introverted intuitives are know-it-alls.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Any introverted function involves an internal knowing (based on a sort of "framework"). With Ni, the framework is abstract (such as the significance of threeness). With Si; it's concrete (something solid you actually remember). With Ti it's logical (such as the article's explanation of what causes things to look like celebrities actually die in threes), and with Fi, it's ethical.

Last edited:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:) somehow the comparing and contrasting makes things make more sense to me in a way... I get Ti and how it works... and I understand Fi as being similar to Ti in role, but different in substance... it makes it easier to understand what Ni is by a comparison like you did above there! :cheese:

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
It's imaginary. ;)
{something about symbols and mystic conclusions and the future}

I like the fact that you're talking about symbols and mystic conclusions next to an avatar of lost.

Si is a more conscious noticing of sensory information than Ni. In Thom Hartman's ADHD a Different Perception he describes those with ADHD as Hunters who have to respond immediately to prevailing conditions based on instinctive sense and Farmers as being very reliant on the overtly observable and predictable cause and effect like Seasons, weather, moon cycle, sunrise/sunset etc.

I have often thought that his description is very much like the difference between abstraction, with its leaps of association, and linear thought, and similar to the P/J and the N/S dichotomies.

That's correct if your line of discernment is Instinctual/Act now vs Look before you leap/Maybe there's something more to this.

SP's = Hunters
SJ's = Farmers

I suppose you could find a way to extend that to NP's vs. NJ's. How do NP's instinctively navigate underlying meanings? How do NJ's "predict" the future based on previously established systems of meaning? Is Ni a single ubersystem of meaning, like a sphere-grid in FFX, with the new abilities and stat-ups representing ideas?

Last edited: