User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

so Ni is actually rather similar to Si in a way... I've noticed that Si people work with patterns as well in a way... patterns based on previous experience and knowlege... so Ni is sort of like Si without the information being concretely filed there in a way?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

The best way I attempt to understand the voodoo that is Ni is to compare it to Ne: Intuition <- now with practical examples

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's evil I tells ya! Eeeeeeeevillllll!
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

It's not a technical definition, but this is what I experience:

- Synthesizing large amounts of disconnected information (big picture, details, past, present, potential future, etc.), looking at things holistically
    - A realization, or "aha" moment such as an idea occurring to you, an understanding, or you know the direction to go (or not to go)
    - There is a theme of changing the context in which things are looked at and viewing them through a different lens
    - You haven't analyzed all the options or scenarios in any coherent way; you just know; there is a level of certainty associated with it - it may be connected to a probability - but in either case, you feel compelled to act upon this understanding
    - A general difficulty in communicating to others or even understanding yourself as to how you got there

The ideas or direction may not even be fully formed which makes it even harder to articulate yourself. I find that by writing things down, it helps to crystallize the thoughts, or if you talk through them with other trusted colleagues, you can sometimes get them better articulated

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    so Ni is actually rather similar to Si in a way... I've noticed that Si people work with patterns as well in a way... patterns based on previous experience and knowlege... so Ni is sort of like Si without the information being concretely filed there in a way?
    Yes, I think so, from what I've seen in Si doms; we are very similar.

Ni to me is going to the source, taking nothing for granted. Getting caught in the why to the point of not really caring about the original intent. Caring more about the means than the ends, because the means might indeed point to a very different ends; Ni is very worried about that, focused on that.

Se doms seems to not care as long as they get to the end. They know if they focus on the end, they can get there easily and trust to always find the end in any given scenario. And each time this process is individuated to the bumps and grooves along the way.

Like EricB says, Ni wants to find the framework to apply to the given set of this type of means; i.e. cooking a fowl. So, we end up with a framework umbrella but might miss out on subtleties in the process. Whereas Se has to go through it all again, or at least uses its energy to feel the various intricacies each time, which is why it needs live in the moment. Se seems better to me in this regard. I'm not sure the advantage of Ni here, because we can potentially miss out on those subtleties. I guess we pick up on potential links however that are missed when you have to divert to much energy to the action itself. ?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

it reminds me a bit of being in the kitchen with the man and cooking... I taste EVERYTHING every time to make sure that it's proper and I'm the type of person who slices the chicken thigh and stares at it to make sure that it's done... he just cooks without having to taste at and look at everything and it still tastes good... I asked him once how he knew that the steaks were cooked to the right doneness without feeling them... he said that he just KNEW (and when I quizzed him on that I ended up getting some long drawn out explanation that went into size, temperature, knowlege of cooking other steaks and things of that sort )

so in a way, Ni is like Ne hidden in the back of the mind connecting knowlege without the need of it being explicit, much like Si is Se hidden in the back of the mind connecting knowlege without needing to taste at, sniff and stare at everything sort of....
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

it reminds me a bit of being in the kitchen with the man and cooking... I taste EVERYTHING every time to make sure that it's proper and I'm the type of person who slices the chicken thigh and stares at it to make sure that it's done... he just cooks without having to taste at and look at everything and it still tastes good... I asked him once how he knew that the steaks were cooked to the right doneness without feeling them... he said that he just KNEW (and when I quizzed him on that I ended up getting some long drawn out explanation that went into size, temperature, knowlege of cooking other steaks and things of that sort )

so in a way, Ni is like Ne hidden in the back of the mind connecting knowlege without the need of it being explicit, much like Si is Se hidden in the back of the mind connecting knowlege without needing to taste at, sniff and stare at everything sort of....
    Yeah, Se is running everything through your senses all the time, whereas Ni is running everything through your mind all the time.

Your guy sounds more like INTJ to me, the way you've described him in this thread. Or is he an older ISTJ?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

he's pretty well balanced on the S/N axis, could be because he's approaching 30 and hasn't had an easy life by any means

so Ne is front of mind, Ni is back of mind....

MBTI
    ISTP

Context basically. It can drive you crazy sometimes.
    Weathergirl: District 38 is sunny. Slight rock showers this morning. Chance of rock showers into the afternoon—20 percent. District 39 is cloudy. Chance of rock showers this afternoon—10 percent.
    Edward: Bebop here here! Alright woo hoo!
    Weathergirl: Chance of rock showers today upgraded to 90 percent.
    Edward: Really.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

so Ne is front of mind, Ni is back of mind....
    If that's how you think about it.

Ni is everywhere in my mind, front and back.

Ne is like the mind radiating outward in a sphere, and Ni is like the mind is a sphere and you are going into the core.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com