User Tag List

First 123 Last

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Well, human beings are a social species. We therefore see seclusion as negative, and encourage introverts to come out of their shell. Indeed, I don't see any practical benefits to introversion over extroversion, myself.
    How about novels, essays and papers (and I don't mean the stuff you write for school)? Anyone who writes for a living is going to have an affinity for introversion, and self-reflection. All those theories, partical manuals etc, were probably intially concieved by an introvert (or some one going through a introverted stage) at some point.
    Introverts generally have greater concentration, can take in greater chunks of information in one go etc....we provide an evoluntionary advatage just as much as extraverts do. Intraverts were probably the ones that sought new lands, found new watering holes etc.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

How about introverts who enjoy and seek the company of others?

The only way I know for sure that I'm an I is because on Fridays I beeline home and try to get a few hours to myself before hitting the street. If I had it my way I'd stay in on Friday nights, but sometimes I'm in such high demand LOL.

I have to get that 'me time' sometime during the weekend. One weekend I was out all Friday and Saturday between family and friend's get togethers. I felt sick Sunday and almost shut down.

I'm glad I recognize this about me.

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

i think introverts secretly wish they were extraverts, though. life would probably be more fun.
    Enneagram 5w4.

if i really wanted to be an extrovert, i'd probably drink more. which i don't.

[edit] or put it this way, if i went to two parties, and at one, i met one or two cool people that i could speak indefinitely to.. and went to another where i got a lot of attention, mixed it up with everyone, etc.. i guarantee i'd be happier and more refreshed coming home after the first party than the second. not to say extroverts don't experience this too... i'm just saying, the first would be more fulfilling.

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

lol... you're funny sometimes.

no, i'd like to be me, too... i think i'm finally reaching that point in my life. the thing is that everyone has something different to offer, though, in different ways... that's why i don't like "putting people into boxes" too much... too many assumptions are made. it's not that simple and people are changeable, too. so, try to use it for good.

^ if that's not an INFP thing to say, i don't know what is, lol.
    Enneagram 5w4.

you're right, people are changeable.. actually, like i said, i've been more extroverted in work situations. i couldn't sustain it forever though. one was kind of a cold, somewhat depressing environment that actually needed some perking up, along with the fact that some things needed to be done that weren't being done. so i took the responsibility. i'm more or less assertive for an introvert, but getting that involved isn't really my style..

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

yeah, and you know... even though i am an introvert, i am not a complete idiot in dealing with people.
    Enneagram 5w4.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Trying to explain introversion to most extroverts is a daunting task. If I'm given enough time, I'm usually able to explain things to people to a point where they will understand it much better. But, in explaining introversion, even smart, insightful extroverts will listen to your explanation, but you can see in their eyes that they're not really understanding it fully. It's like they can't quite seem to place themselves "in your shoes" because it's something that is totally outside of their experience and so it just doesn't resonate with them.

I've even had extroverts say that "it's all in my head" or that "it's something I need to learn to overcome". Sure, I have things I'm working on like anybody else (extroverts included), but I don't need to "overcome" who I innately am. I am what I am. It is what it is.

I think if you took an extrovert and let him live a week in the body of an introvert, his reaction would be something like, "oooooohhhhhhhhhh!!! no way!! I had no idea it would be like that!! I totally get them now. I never imagined it like that. They really are much more comfortable with alone time. And they're really happy too. Even without constant interaction. And it really tripped me out how tired and drained I was after talking to people all day. All I wanted to do was take a 4 hour nap so I could wake up refreshed."

And introverts are so much more than just writers. The INTJ (mostly) scientists, engineers, deep thinkers, a good chunk of professors, many highly spiritual people/clergy, surgeons, humanitarians, the ISTJ accountant, the ISTP mechanic. It's no coincidence that this type of work (scientist, accounting, mechanic, thinking, praying, meditating, etc.), can't really be done effectively with a circus going on around you or at a cocktail party. These things require focus and a certain level of precision/accuracy. Noise and interruptions to these occupations are often seen as a total nuisance. There's a reason for it all. It all works out.

I can't imagine being in the middle of performing a 6-hour brain surgery and start thinking, "this is boring. I wonder what the guys are doing for lunch." Introverts were made for that stuff.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    i think introverts secretly wish they were extraverts, though. life would probably be more fun.
    I wish I was extraverted not for the fun factor, but for relationships. I like introverted girls, but to talk to them I have to do a lot of work. Sometimes I'd rather have her run her yap and me have to tell her to shut up from time to time, than have someone who doesn't share much.

^OK, on second thought, I agree with that. And I do try to take the burden on myself a bit like you with introverted girls. I'd rather not.