User Tag List

12311 Last

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Default Introverted functions are more ________ than their extroverted counterparts

True, or not true?
    Last edited by Zarathustra; 05-03-2010 at 05:10 PM.

Glycerine

Not necessarily. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses. Xi is much more prone to have a warped view on reality because it's subjective while Xe can be a bit shortsighted because it doesn't ponder things in quite as much depth since it's externally based.

Phantonym

"More" powerful in what way? Should there even be a power struggle between the functions? What does the winner get? Interesting, free entertainment.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Obviously, the word "powerful" here is somewhat arbitrary.

I had to choose some word, and with what I did write, I already hit the maximum number of characters for the title of a thread.

But power does point to something, albeit not everything.

In some ways, I think of it like this:

- Ni has a right to look down on Ne
    - Ti has a right to look down on Te
    - Fi has a right to look down on Fe
    - Si has a right to look down on Se

Now, that's not to say that the extroverted functions don't have their own strengths, and that they can't look down on the introverted functions in some way either.

What I am saying, however, is that, on the whole, to me at least (and others I've spoken with), it seems that there's something more, I dunno, substantive about the introverted functions.

Like, they do more, or are more powerful, in some sense, than their extroverted counterparts.

I dunno, just a thought that I believe is somewhat true and not often talked about, and I wanted to see others thoughts and feelings on the matter.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

It is to a sense saying that all introverts have to right to look down on extraverts. And it is not surprising an introvert would say this as many more introverts do in fact look down on extraverts than vice versa. It could be a justification for an introvert's insecurity. (I lack social skill yet I think before I speak therefore I am better)

Phantonym

I don't really know about that "right". Sounds fishy.

People who use Xi as a dominant function might feel that it is more powerful to them and Xe users find the same for theirs.

Maybe a scream you hear in your head is indeed more powerful than a scream you hear from a roof top. But it's all a matter of perspective.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    It is to a sense saying that all introverts have to right to look down on extraverts. And it is not surprising an introvert would say this as many more introverts do in fact look down on extraverts than vice versa. It could be a justification for an introvert's insecurity. (I lack social skill yet I think before I speak therefore I am better)
    This is the most obvious counterargument.

But it's simplicity is its fault, in my opinion.

To begin with, I am a very outgoing introvert.

Also, I very much appreciate my extroverted auxiliary function and the role it plays in my life, but I do see it in a similar sense as inferior to its introverted counterpart...

Also, and importantly, see below:

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    I don't really know about that "right". Sounds fishy.

People who use Xi as a dominant function might feel that it is more powerful to them and Xe users find the same for theirs.

Maybe a scream you hear in your head is indeed more powerful than a scream you hear from a roof top. But it's all a matter of perspective.
    But, you see, the other person who feels the exact same as I do about this matter is an extrovert.

She thinks her extroverted dominant function is, in some sense, inferior to its introverted counterpart, but that her introverted auxiliary is, in some sense, superior to its extroverted counterpart.

So...

Back to the original question: is there something more substantive about the introverted form of a function? Something more robust? More, I dunno, deep?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

They're more in depth; not more "powerful".
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    They're more in depth; not more "powerful".
    I do think that "deeper" is actually a better way of putting it.

Glycerine

^ If that's what you were trying to say, then yes, I agree with your premise. However, in the OP, there seemed to be a notable semantics issue.