• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ideal Type(s) for Telemarketers

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I just had one call me, and I said no the first time, he continued to talk. I told him again no thanks, and that I was about to hang up. As I hung the phone up he was rattling off a phone number that I could call if I had any questions.

It just sparked the question: What types would be suited for that type of job?

I'm thinking an ExTP would be ideal- having that ability to talk to people and take rejection and hear all kind of rude and ignorant crap thrown at you.

Anybody else?

Jaguar

When they call asking for Mr. Jaguar, I say: "He died last week." :wink:

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Isn't that a stereotypical ENFP position? They can charm you, and motivate you, and know what's good for you, and reason with you, "champion" the product or cause, etc.
I would think any Get Things Going type and the ESTP, though the ESFP might get bored with it, I imagine. The ENTP might be good also, though they might not care for it either.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ

LOL I can't say that about myself man.....

I just say I'm busy and can't talk, and if they try to persist, say I'm hanging up and hang up.

I don't like hanging up on people tho. That's rude.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Isn't that a stereotypical ENFP position? They can charm you, and motivate you, and know what's good for you, and reason with you, "champion" the product or cause, etc.
I would think any Get Things Going type and the ESTP, though the ESFP might get bored with it, I imagine. The ENTP might be good also, though they might not care for it either.

Won't an F get their feelings hurt if the person is callin you and your mama nasty stuff?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Won't an F get their feelings hurt if the person is callin you and your mama nasty stuff?

insults made by people who don't know me and know nothing about me don't hurt me at all. i don't think most F's are that sensitive.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ugh... I can't stand cold calling people... it's BORING :cry: And... I'd have to sit still! :boohoo:

I've worked in door to door sales and in retail sales (and some wholesale work as well!) I am fine with upselling, but I actually think it takes a bit more stubborn determination and an attention span than I could manage :doh:

G

garbage

I don't like hanging up on people tho. That's rude.

Yeah.

Because of the nature of the job, telemarketers pretty much have to exploit this in other people. This extends to other 'pushy' sales positions, too.

I can only rationalize hanging up by the fact that they halfway expect their clients to hang up anyway.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I use caller I.D. They always call from weird numbers. Anyway, I guess ENTP would be the best because they have some Ne+Fe to grease the wheels and they don't get upset by minor insults coming from unknown people. But like Whatever said (who is an ESTP, I know, but I still think it applies) it would be boring for them, they would have to stand still, attention span, etc. So I don't think anyone would really be perfect for the job. I could never do that though. I get anxious about calling my friends because I am afraid I will interrupt; I could never impose on someone I know even less. Also I couldn't handle all the rudeness. It'd be like getting spit on every 2 minutes.

Lightyear

I could never do that though. I get anxious about calling my friends because I am afraid I will interrupt; I could never impose on someone I know even less. Also I couldn't handle all the rudeness. It'd be like getting spit on every 2 minutes.

Same here. Horrible, horrible job.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
ugh... I can't stand cold calling people... it's BORING :cry: And... I'd have to sit still! :boohoo:

I've worked in door to door sales and in retail sales (and some wholesale work as well!) I am fine with upselling, but I actually think it takes a bit more stubborn determination and an attention span than I could manage :doh:

I have to agree with whatever. It is totally boring. I like selling things to people because it can be interesting and engaging. Telemarketing? Blech.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Hee Hee, that's funny! :laugh:

My standard response:

"You're looking for Mr. Halla? Well I am too. That motherfucker owes me money so if you find out where he is please call me back."

:yim_rolling_on_the_

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Extraverts. Fe, Ne, and Se doms would be best in telemarketing, or any sales position for that matter.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hllDWSbuDsQ"]This is how you do it[/YOUTUBE]