User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Does the type make the man?

Or the man make the type?

Does the very act of taking these personality tests, change your personality?

If so, how?

Would this effect distort the results, or be an integral feature of the results?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by eagleseven View Post
    In my opinion, the type tries to provide a generalized construct of representing the many men and women who constitute the continuum of personalities of each given MBTI type.

For me, no. The first MBTI test I took basically told me alot of what I already knew, but it was revealing of some details that I overlooked along the way, it was useful for that.

Would this effect distort the results, or be an integral feature of the results?
    That depends on whether the person in question has an internal locus of control or an external locus of control, right?

Good questions.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    That depends on whether the person in question has an internal locus of control or an external locus of control, right?
    Is this type-dependent as well?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Is this type-dependent as well?

No, I don't think it is at all, but if one has an internal locus of control than they believe "the man decides the type" but if they have an external locus of control then "the type would define them (after being tested or an MBTI type)."

I am no expert on typology or psychology, but I have studied both at school and/or as part of personal interest. There are a few associations between MBTI and other schools of thought that were interesting to contemplate on, but I generally don't try and mix them up if I can help it.

Have you determined your Enneagram type? If not a good free online test is here:

Free Enneagram Personality Test

I'm an ESTP in MBTI, and a 7w8 Enneagram. Those two seems to have a good fit. But, the two systems are distinct.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INTJ

I think in all instances a person is 'made'.

I think for someone who is balanced, it validates their ways, and may give them confidence to continue on as they were.

For others, it helps them to figure out that they need to adjust their view of others and the actions that follow

Then for some, it gives them some kind of meaning to their otherwise meaningless lives, and gives them a feeling of superiority over others, even if they fail to recognize that it's only potential, and in the real world, nobody cares what those 4 letters mean when one is, at best, an internet forum hero yet a douchebag IRL with little to nothing to show for thier self-hyped superior type and ability.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    Then for some, it gives them some kind of meaning to their otherwise meaningless lives, and gives them a feeling of superiority over others, even if they fail to recognize that it's only potential, and in the real world, nobody cares what those 4 letters mean when one is, at best, an internet forum hero yet a douchebag IRL with little to nothing to show for thier self-hyped superior type and ability.
    Preach it!!!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:

Quotes:

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Preach it!!!

:workout:

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Does the type make the man?
    Hell no. Typology is far too general to really capture the essence of who a person is, beyond a rough measuring stick as to their temperament. It tells us how we function, and what our strengths and weaknesses are on that basis, but it doesn't even come close to describing our whole personalities, which are the sum of our experiences, upbringing and heritage.

Probably not. A person can willingly, consciously change their type, but it's extremely difficult. A Perceiver, for example, can act like a Judger (Organized, deliberate, planned, meticulous), but he will probably never feel like a Judger (Compulsively determined to finishing everything he starts).

If so, how?
    It could, if you let your personality be determined by the archetype of your given type (which it doesn't have to -- as I mentioned, personality ranges much broader than type). Changing your type as a result of taking a Myers-Briggs test is unlikely, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    This I just don't understand...it makes about as much sense as believing in racial supremacy. Then again, there were quite a few racial supremacists throughout the course of human history...

I agree with Aleksi above. One reason I dislike these personality types is that it puts people into neat little boxes, when human brains are highly plastic. We're constantly re-networking the neurons in our brain, so why do we assume the personality is a static state, once we reach a certain stage of development?

I intend to be a very different person than I am now, in 5 years, then again in 10 years, and so on.

It is useful, however, in finding people who currenlty think similarly to yourself.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

it's an interesting theory for explaining the differences in people (like why my Te using man is signifigantly better at puzzles than I am, but I kick his ass at trivia games), but people tend to use it wrongly on internet forums to feel better than other people because they're XXXX type and the other person is YYYY type... if you understand the building blocks and the dynamics between them (and how people can develop other functions and such!) it's a useful tool... if you use it for stereotyping and putting people in boxes it's a negative thing (like claiming that all Sensor's are dumb or things of that sort )

it doesn't make a wo/man, it can help you understand them though!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett