User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'm working on the premise that if something made invidiuals dysfunctional, then a society full of these dysfuncitonal individuals is in trouble.
    Ok, well I guess we're talking about different things then.

I was working from the approach that if you removed individuals who used those functions (and, most specifically, those who used them in the dominant position), what would happen to society?

I can see the value of your approach, though.

It is another understandable way to approach the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'll focus on Se. Without Se you lack a basic capicity to react to external concrete details/stimulus/information what-have-you. Without that, what can you? I hate to answer a question with a question, but how would Ne take over for Se?
    I've recently had this discussion with SillySapienne and Simulated World, and we arrived at a different conclusion.

I don't think lacking Se means one can't "react to external concrete details/stimulus/information what-have-you".

I don't think lacking Se means one no longer has sensory perceptions.

Rather, I think of Se as a disposition.

It's a way one orients oneself to the world, specifically with regard to how one prefers to perceive incoming data.

All human beings have sensory perceptions.

Se doms (and heavy users in general) just prefer to deal with incoming data in a more concrete, sensory-oriented way.

That is: they don't like to, or don't have much ability to, absorb the incoming data and see many abstract connections within it.

Hence why I feel that, in many ways, Ne is Se plus abstract connection-making.

(aside: although, I was just thinking about whether the same holds true for Ni and Si, and, at first, I felt that it didn't, as I believe Si does make connections, but, on second thought, maybe these connections are not abstract connections, but concrete connections, and, thus, the same thing can be said for Se, that it makes concrete connections; but, then, that got me thinking on the difference between concreteness and abstractness, which, I am sure, will now be a major question in my thinking over the next couple of days...)

I know your position, and you could stick to your ground there I suppose, but I do believe it's a difficult position to maintain...

Same goes for Ti.

I don't think one need use Ti to be able to ratiocinate.

I just think those who prefer to use Ti more tend to make their decisions based more on ratiocination.

Remember, this is personality theory, not the basis of our entire neurological happenings (unless, of course, you want to make the argument that it is, which, as I said before, I'm open to, but I think is a very difficult position to maintain).

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Unless you are aware of the details you can't improvise worth shit, they are inextricably linked, and therefore one, or something like that.
    I dunno, I kinda suck at noticing details (I do love sensory experiences though) and I love improvising.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

^ Explains your lack of knowledge of detailed MBTI.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I don't think lacking Se means one can't "react to external concrete details/stimulus/information what-have-you".

I don't think lacking Se means one no longer has sensory perceptions.

Rather, I think of Se as a disposition.

It's a way one orients oneself to the world, specifically with regard to how one prefers to perceive incoming data.
    Hmmm, not sure if this is a good example, but I prefer to read a book than to watch a movie based on the book.

Se would be like watching a movie where you know exactly what a character, object, scene looks like. Ne would keep things abstract. I may not even care what the hero looks like and if I read the book multiple times, it might even change every time.

That sounds logical?
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    On the fly analysis and improvisation is Ne. Se is detail awareness.
    Look man, gear shifting theories ultimately fail. World view theories dont. Im sick and tired of explaining this to people on the forum. THEY ARE WORLD VIEWS, NOT SKILL SETS.

A Ne person is a schemer, they can pay attention to details or not, thats not the point! Ne is not about seeing the possibilities on the micro, its about on the macro level: "live one day at a time, take out a big loan, have no plan, it will all be fine! we'll figure something out to make it work out..."

think BIG PICTURE, not day to day tasks. That goes for EVERY world view. If a Fe person happens to wave to somebody thats not "engaging Fe", because again that would be MICRO. Instead, that person might be a Fe because on a MACRO, they see their existence as one that has loyalties and dis-loyalties.

EDIT:
    "well babylon, who made you the authority on this?"
    --look, if gear shifting theories fail, then all we are left with are world view theories, all I've done is shortened some of the better world view theory descriptors that I've ever read. Philosophical Exegesis

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

^I don't see why it can't be explained with macro and micro (to use your terms) examples. And I'd hesitate to call typology a world view. Because as we approach individuation (hopefully we are on that journey), we utilize different functions and ways of being, so that we are shifting in how we gather and process data; and a world view encompasses so much more than that.

Worldview definition:

A comprehensive world view (or worldview) is the fundamental cognitive orientation of an individual or society encompassing natural philosophy, fundamental existential and normative postulates or themes, values, emotions, and ethics.[1] The term is a loan translation or calque of German Weltanschauung [ˈvɛlt.ʔanˌʃaʊ.ʊŋ] ( listen), composed of Welt, 'world', and Anschauung, 'view' or 'outlook'. It is a concept fundamental to German philosophy and epistemology and refers to a wide world perception. Additionally, it refers to the framework of ideas and beliefs through which an individual interprets the world and interacts with it.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    ^I don't see why it can't be explained with macro and micro (to use your terms) examples. And I'd hesitate to call typology a world view. Because as we approach individuation (hopefully we are on that journey), we utilize different functions and ways of being, so that we are shifting in how we gather and process data; and a world view encompasses so much more than that.

Worldview definition:
    I have nothing against that definition of world view... in fact I smiled when they mentioned German epistemology and philosophy (Jung was a big Kant fan ). The problem aphro is that if we go by micro examples, the theory falls on its face. I don't have time right now to give a long winded example, but I will later.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    I have nothing against that definition of world view... in fact I smiled when they mentioned German epistemology and philosophy (Jung was a big Kant fan ). The problem aphro is that if we go by micro examples, the theory falls on its face. I don't have time right now to give a long winded example, but I will later.
    I'm not saying to go predominantly by micro examples or anything like that, but one doesn't need to be a typology nazi when it comes to interpreting the cognitive functions and how they work, especially considering how little we really know about them, need one?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Functional world views are basically what Jung detailed in Psychological Types.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

And as the discoverer of typology, he would. I'd hesitate to put that much stock in one way of viewing the world however, especially one that is just scratching the surface of the human psyche.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com