User Tag List

12 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Typology and Insight

Is there a typological reflection in an individuals capacity to develop either insight or refectiveness? I have heard some assumptions made that particularly types will be more or less gifted, purely as a consequence of their type or because of their giftedness they can only be a particular type.

<waits for sim, jag, and aphrodite-gone-awry to join the thread>
    It would be fun if Zara enters the thread with conviction as well. More eclectic personalities makes some entertaining bitching. PLEASE DON'T DISAPPOINT ME. I'LL LOVE YOU LONG TIME IF YOU DON'T.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Is there a typological reflection in an individuals capacity to develop either insight or refectiveness? I have heard some assumptions made that particularly types will be more or less gifted, purely as a consequence of their type or because of their giftedness they can only be a particular type.
    You're on the wrong forum. Most people who post here are first and foremost concerned with convincing themselves and others that they are extraordinarily gifted because their whole type is gifted. Good luck.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

*smirks because SW actually made her giggle*

I'd say that everyone has their own gifts and insights and that it wouldn't particularly be type specific because other factors such as experience, intelligence and EQ would play a role as well... and you can't forget that kids are really quite insightful a lot of times... and they aren't developed really at all
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

It's called INsight for a reason, people.

I think INXXs tend to be more reflective than ESXXs, that shouldn't be controversial. For every moment you're in reflection, you're not out there extroverting and sensing in the real world.

But when it comes to insight, it's less clear. Some people gain their insight from vast life experience, not necessarily from looking that far inward. But insight is in the realm of intuition, by definition.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    But when it comes to insight, it's less clear. Some people gain their insight from vast life experience, not necessarily from looking that far inward. But insight is in the realm of intuition, by definition.
    and ESxxs are pretty good at getting in a lot of life experiences... better so than a lot of INxxs

Here's a quick definition of insight that I've stolen and am copying and pasting here

Insight can be used with several related meanings:

-a piece of information
    -the act or result of apprehending the inner nature of things or of seeing intuitively in Greek called noesis
    -an introspection
    -the power of acute observation and deduction, penetration, discernment, perception called intellection or noesis
    -an understanding based on identification of relationships and behaviors within a model, context, or scenario (see artificial intelligence)

which pretty much covers the abilities of any type
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    and ESxxs are pretty good at getting in a lot of life experiences... better so than a lot of INxxs
    Too bad that vast life experience insight only kicks when you're like 50 years old!

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Here's a quick definition of insight that I've stolen and am copying and pasting here

Insight can be used with several related meanings:

-a piece of information
    -the act or result of apprehending the inner nature of things or of seeing intuitively in Greek called noesis
    -an introspection
    -the power of acute observation and deduction, penetration, discernment, perception called intellection or noesis
    -an understanding based on identification of relationships and behaviors within a model, context, or scenario (see artificial intelligence)

which pretty much covers the abilities of any type
    Introspection, acute observation, inner nature of things, seeing intuitively... It's clear which types these definitions favor.

What does any of that have to do with ESTJs, for example?

Too bad that vast life experience insight only kicks when you're like 50 years old!

Introspection, acute observation, inner nature of things, seeing intuitively... It's clear which types these definitions favor.
    I think that insight requires a combination of life experiences AND reflection. It is difficult to have much of either at a very young age. I think the idea is that some are more inclined toward the life experiences and some more toward reflection, but that both "types" of people require time to mature and a good dose of that which is not their natural inclination...

Excessive introspection without life experience doesn't really get you any further than a wide range of life experiences without introspection.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Glycerine

What does any of that have to do with ESTJs, for example?
    haha, my XSTJ is rather reflective, insightful, and fits pretty well with your definition, aj. He's really into new age thinking and the sort. But then again, some of his really good friends are INXPs. However, I would agree with you that it is going to biased towards IN and to a certain extent EN.

EDIT: I am pretty sure he's XSTJ because he gets rather upset when the family breaks tradition like not getting a real Christmas tree, he went to school to be a commissioned military officer (very SJish), has a somewhat forced use of Ne, and gets irritated at people for not following directions.

Even though I gravitate towards experience myself, I would agree that some downtime is definitely valuable..

If there was one extreme or the other though, I'd have to admit that the guy contemplating and sitting on his ass all day actually might know a thing or two more than the guy immersed in experience. Mainly because he is inclined to be less subjective. He's got a world of materials presenting multiple perspectives in his hands. And he knows how to dissect them. In practice, he could still be incompetent and come off like a joke and ruin his credibility, but he's probably more insightful in his own way.