• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typology and Insight

Lark

Is there a typological reflection in an individuals capacity to develop either insight or refectiveness? I have heard some assumptions made that particularly types will be more or less gifted, purely as a consequence of their type or because of their giftedness they can only be a particular type.

Little_Sticks

:popc1:

<waits for sim, jag, and aphrodite-gone-awry to join the thread>
It would be fun if Zara enters the thread with conviction as well. More eclectic personalities makes some entertaining bitching. PLEASE DON'T DISAPPOINT ME. I'LL LOVE YOU LONG TIME IF YOU DON'T.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Is there a typological reflection in an individuals capacity to develop either insight or refectiveness? I have heard some assumptions made that particularly types will be more or less gifted, purely as a consequence of their type or because of their giftedness they can only be a particular type.

You're on the wrong forum. Most people who post here are first and foremost concerned with convincing themselves and others that they are extraordinarily gifted because their whole type is gifted. Good luck.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*smirks because SW actually made her giggle*

I'd say that everyone has their own gifts and insights and that it wouldn't particularly be type specific because other factors such as experience, intelligence and EQ would play a role as well... and you can't forget that kids are really quite insightful a lot of times... and they aren't developed really at all :newwink:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
It's called INsight for a reason, people. :)

I think INXXs tend to be more reflective than ESXXs, that shouldn't be controversial. For every moment you're in reflection, you're not out there extroverting and sensing in the real world.

But when it comes to insight, it's less clear. Some people gain their insight from vast life experience, not necessarily from looking that far inward. But insight is in the realm of intuition, by definition.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
But when it comes to insight, it's less clear. Some people gain their insight from vast life experience, not necessarily from looking that far inward. But insight is in the realm of intuition, by definition.

:newwink: and ESxxs are pretty good at getting in a lot of life experiences... better so than a lot of INxxs :devil:

Here's a quick definition of insight that I've stolen and am copying and pasting here

Insight can be used with several related meanings:

-a piece of information
-the act or result of apprehending the inner nature of things or of seeing intuitively in Greek called noesis
-an introspection
-the power of acute observation and deduction, penetration, discernment, perception called intellection or noesis
-an understanding based on identification of relationships and behaviors within a model, context, or scenario (see artificial intelligence)

which pretty much covers the abilities of any type :)

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
:newwink: and ESxxs are pretty good at getting in a lot of life experiences... better so than a lot of INxxs :devil:

Too bad that vast life experience insight only kicks when you're like 50 years old! ;)

Here's a quick definition of insight that I've stolen and am copying and pasting here

Insight can be used with several related meanings:

-a piece of information
-the act or result of apprehending the inner nature of things or of seeing intuitively in Greek called noesis
-an introspection
-the power of acute observation and deduction, penetration, discernment, perception called intellection or noesis
-an understanding based on identification of relationships and behaviors within a model, context, or scenario (see artificial intelligence)

which pretty much covers the abilities of any type :)

Introspection, acute observation, inner nature of things, seeing intuitively... It's clear which types these definitions favor.

What does any of that have to do with ESTJs, for example?

gromit

likes this
Too bad that vast life experience insight only kicks when you're like 50 years old! ;)

Introspection, acute observation, inner nature of things, seeing intuitively... It's clear which types these definitions favor.

I think that insight requires a combination of life experiences AND reflection. It is difficult to have much of either at a very young age. I think the idea is that some are more inclined toward the life experiences and some more toward reflection, but that both "types" of people require time to mature and a good dose of that which is not their natural inclination...

Excessive introspection without life experience doesn't really get you any further than a wide range of life experiences without introspection.

G

Glycerine

What does any of that have to do with ESTJs, for example?
haha, my XSTJ is rather reflective, insightful, and fits pretty well with your definition, aj. He's really into new age thinking and the sort. But then again, some of his really good friends are INXPs. ;) However, I would agree with you that it is going to biased towards IN and to a certain extent EN.

EDIT: I am pretty sure he's XSTJ because he gets rather upset when the family breaks tradition like not getting a real Christmas tree, he went to school to be a commissioned military officer (very SJish), has a somewhat forced use of Ne, and gets irritated at people for not following directions.

KDude

Even though I gravitate towards experience myself, I would agree that some downtime is definitely valuable..

If there was one extreme or the other though, I'd have to admit that the guy contemplating and sitting on his ass all day actually might know a thing or two more than the guy immersed in experience. Mainly because he is inclined to be less subjective. He's got a world of materials presenting multiple perspectives in his hands. And he knows how to dissect them. In practice, he could still be incompetent and come off like a joke and ruin his credibility, but he's probably more insightful in his own way.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
haha, my XSTJ is rather reflective, insightful, and fits pretty well with your definition, aj. He's really into new age thinking and the sort. But then again, some of his really good friends are INXPs. ;) However, I would agree with you that it is going to biased towards IN and to a certain extent EN.

EDIT: I am pretty sure he's XSTJ because he gets rather upset when the family breaks tradition like not getting a real Christmas tree, he went to school to be a commissioned military officer (very SJish), has a somewhat forced use of Ne, and gets irritated at people for not following directions.

Maybe some of that insight and such came with age though? A certain amount of wisdom is beat into you if you live long enough.

Do you know any younger ESTJs with those qualities?

Mole

Permabanned
MBTI and the P76

I used to work on the Leyland assembly line putting together P76 engines for motor cars.

And to improve our productivity we tried many changes to our work practices.

We put a lot of thought into these changes to get the best productivity, but we found that no matter what change we made, productivity increased.

So our insight was that it was change itself that improved productivity.

So if we had fixated on one change, we would never have gained the insight.

And our insight was similar to the insight that placebos improve health.

And it may well be that MBTI acts in the same way.

G

Glycerine

Maybe some of that insight and such came with age though? A certain amount of wisdom is beat into you if you live long enough.

Do you know any younger ESTJs with those qualities?
That might be it. He's 23... I am not sure if that counts or not. I think I know one other younger ESTJ that has those qualities. I think as long you know how to think independently, are smart, and intellectual, you're most likely going to be insightful. However, I will bet that INs beat every other group in the intellectual department. Plus many of them are intelligent.

To note: intellect and intelligence are two completely different things. Intelligence= how fast you catch onto things and retain it. Intellect= curiosity.

gromit

likes this
Even though I gravitate towards experience myself, I would agree that some downtime is definitely valuable..

If there was one extreme or the other though, I'd have to admit that the guy contemplating and sitting on his ass all day actually might know a thing or two more than the guy immersed in experience. Mainly because he is inclined to be less subjective. He's got a world of materials presenting multiple perspectives in his hands. And he knows how to dissect them. In practice, he could still be incompetent and come off like a joke and ruin his credibility, but he's probably more insightful in his own way.

Maybe, but not always... I also know people who are such navel-gazers that they almost become fixated on this world they have created in their minds. They think they are profound, but not everyone finds the inner workings of their mind so fascinating. They aren't less subjective, they have an internal, self-serving bias. Not a lot of people, and I suspect (or hope) they will learn as the grow.

It could be that I am frustrated with it in others because I am frustrated when I find this behavior popping up in myself...