User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISFP

Default One personality forever?

Why does the Myers-Briggs system assert that type does not change over time?

(I now think it can.)

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well your personality type doesn't change, but you develop more into it as you grow. People can also get messed up functions wise, like going into dominant-tertiary loops etc.

Why do you think you can change?
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ISFP

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Well your personality type doesn't change,
    This is exactly what I'm curious about: why you said that. What reasons does the Myers-Briggs system (or Jung perhaps) give for asserting that personality type doesn't change?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    but you develop more into it as you grow. People can also get messed up functions wise, like going into dominant-tertiary loops etc.

Why do you think you can change?
    Personal experience. I can be more specific if you need me to, but I'm mainly wondering if there are good reasons to think that personality type doesn't change.

MBTI says you sepnd the first part of your life learning your first two functions-

So FiSe for you, then the second part of live learning to use the second two functions to supplement-NiTe for you.

Assuming we are buying into standard MBTI dogma for the purpose of this post, this means you would get the urge to do things that involve those second teo functions more as you age. Maybe before that you could use them here and there, but as you get older, you can use them more skillfully.

(However keep in mind standard MBTI dogma is under massive scrutiny by many members of our happy forum family, and could totally be a clusterfuck)

So my question-assuming standard dogma is true-

L&S would spend the first part of her fluffy pancake life tending towards being an ISFP FiSe...but then grow into something kinda funny as she ages to become more INTJish flavored...NiTe as those last two functions get more developed...

But kinda but viewed through an Se perceiving function. So an old ISFP would be a weak INTJ who uses direct Se perceptive information?

MBTI
    ISFP

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    MBTI says you sepnd the first part of your life learning your first two functions-

So FiSe for you, then the second part of live learning to use the second two functions to supplement-NiTe for you.

Assuming we are buying into standard MBTI dogma for the purpose of this post, this means you would get the urge to do things that involve those second teo functions more as you age. Maybe before that you could use them here and there, but as you get older, you can use them more skillfully.

(However keep in mind standard MBTI dogma is under massive scrutiny by many members of our happy forum family, and could totally be a clusterfuck)

So my question-assuming standard dogma is true-

L&S would spend the first part of her fluffy pancake life tending towards being an ISFP FiSe...but then grow into something kinda funny as she ages to become more INTJish flavored...NiTe as those last two functions get more developed...

But kinda but viewed through an Se perceiving function. So an old ISFP would be a weak INTJ who uses direct Se perceptive information?
    Thank you for your observations, and yes, we can certainly all analyze me if necessary. But before going there in this thread, if at all, I will wait for someone to tell me why "standard MBTI dogma" (as you put it) says that personality type doesn't change.

garbage

It becomes a more elegant and attractive system if it's asserted that types don't change--that is, if the external factors that it measures are controlled. Suddenly, it can explain a lot more. Variances in type "make sense" with respect to the theory, if this is asserted.

And that's attractive to people.

And that's why it's asserted.

MBTI
    ISFP

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Eyebrows View Post
    It becomes a more elegant and attractive system if it's asserted that types don't change--that is, if the external factors that it measures are controlled. Suddenly, it can explain a lot more. Variances in type "make sense" with respect to the theory, if this is asserted.

And that's attractive to people.

And that's why it's asserted.
    Thank you.

I certainly do get that the system as it stands is attractive to people. It was attractive to me.

So, does anyone know if there's any reason that Meyers or Briggs (or Jung?) gave for asserting that personality types do not change? This assumption is key to the whole system. (Some talented person could doubtless build another equally appealing system around the assumption that personality types do change.)

Your question is a very Ni question because you are poking at the gap.

I think that everything Jung did was based off of what he observed/intuited. Then Myers-brigss built upon those ideas based upon what they observed. Both certainly did assert that personality type is innate. MBTI asserts it does not change-but does develop.

What did Jung say about personality type changing over time? Not just development but actual change to something else? I dunno...I dont recall reading these details.....

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by LeafAndSky View Post
    Thank you.

I certainly do get that the system as it stands is attractive to people. It was attractive to me.

So, does anyone know if there's any reason that Meyers or Briggs (or Jung?) gave for asserting that personality types do not change? This assumption is key to the whole system. (Some talented person could doubtless build another equally appealing system around the assumption that personality types do change.)
    See the post right above yours. that's why.

MBTI
    INTJ

I buy into it that it's you at your core. So no- it doesn't change. But as you mature, experience things and such, you realize that there's no need to be the same way all the time.

I see it especially in my father. At the core, he's still my dad, but in a lot of situations, He's not the same man he was when I was a kid.