• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type C Genome Project

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I, Claudius: ENTP
Father: EsTJ
Mother: ISFJ

Sisters :
ISTP
ExFJ (I lean toward ENFJ)

Brothers:
iNTP
ENTP

I'm the youngest, then my istp sister is 4 years older and all my other siblings are 12 to 15 years older than me.

Ooopsy. Looks like someone was an accident.......just sayin' ;) :hug:

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Very interesting! It would be fun to know your grandparents' types to see where you get your intuition and feeling.

Mat. G-ma - ESFP
Mat. G-pa - ESTJ

Pat. G-ma - ISFJ
I never knew my Grandpa.

I was thinking that it may be more environmental. If you want to go with the functions being there in the first place, both my ISTP Dad and ESTP mom have the same functions as I do, just different orders.

I have read (I cannot find where, I'll keep looking) that intuition can be, or is, honed during conflict in childhood. It goes along with having to size up a situation to make sure it is safe, without actually letting on that is what the child is doing. Or to get a feel for someones mood.

Also for the Fe, I was often the mediator in my childhood, and felt responsible to help others understand each other.

So my thought is that those particular functions were (possibly) there, but refined and strengthened by my environment out of necessity more than anything.

Your thoughts?

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Mom: INFJ
Dad: INTJ

I have no idea what my siblings are :D

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
AA I would suggest paying close attention to Ni/Se patterns-ie INTJ/ISTP dads/sons. Also Fi/Te combos-ENFPs having INTJ children.

Do you mean that Ni passes on to Se? Same with Fi to Te? Can you elaborate on your logic here? Or is it just a trend you've noticed?

Also-skipping of generations? Every single grandkid in our family matches to a grandparents type. All of the middle generation tentitively match to the great grandparants, although there is much error there.

This seems counterintuitive, and not what I've observed, but I think it would be interesting to see how the data falls out. Perhaps in some families where there seems no link between parents/children, there WILL be a strong correlation between grandparents/children.

mom ixfp (thought infp for a long time, then wondered isfp but I kinda think she is infp after all - she is certainly VERY impractical but to a degree living in the moment also - more like fluttering from one panic to another)

dad xNTx (I think he's ENTP or less likely, ENTJ but he thinks he's INTJ)

me: istp
sister 1: isfp
sister 2: exfp - leaning towards s but I don't know her very well
sister 3: infx - I think infj. possibly intp but I don't think so.

edit: I think my maternal grandfather was istp, though it's hard to tell in older people. Possibly intp or intj.

So are you gonna analyze all the results somehow? We've had a bunch of these threads over the years but no real conclusions, I'd be interested if there were trends. In the past it's seemed like some families have strong trends but others have completely unrelated types (esfj --> intp seems common, for example)

I hadn't planned on it, but, yeah, I'm leaning that way. I will see if my husband can write some sort of app with a scatter plot or something to see if there are any positive correlations. I think I should do mbti type because that's what everyone is reporting, but I might also look at it from the standpoint of dom/aux as well, since (for the most part), mbti and dom/aux seem to correlate.

You should firm up your parents' types. Surely you can tell if your mother is n or s? I know N/S can be difficult.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mat. G-ma - ESFP
Mat. G-pa - ESTJ

Pat. G-ma - ISFJ
I never knew my Grandpa.

I was thinking that it may be more environmental. If you want to go with the functions being there in the first place, both my ISTP Dad and ESTP mom have the same functions as I do, just different orders.

I have read (I cannot find where, I'll keep looking) that intuition can be, or is, honed during conflict in childhood. It goes along with having to size up a situation to make sure it is safe, without actually letting on that is what the child is doing. Or to get a feel for someones mood.

I think it's not environmental so long as you had a basically normal childhood without lots of abuse or something. If abused people prone to "n" then I think someone would have noticed that correlation by now, especially Jung himself who worked a long time with psychiatric patients. Not to mention others who have studied personality type this past 100 years.

Also for the Fe, I was often the mediator in my childhood, and felt responsible to help others understand each other.

So my thought is that those particular functions were (possibly) there, but refined and strengthened by my environment out of necessity more than anything.

Your thoughts?

I just don't think dom/aux in a normal person can be influenced that heavily by environmental factors. It's all up for debate though. :)

Mole

Permabanned
The genome is digital and can be sequenced with exquisite precision.

On the other hand MBTI is analog and can't be analysed with any precision.

MBTI has four letters just as the genome has four letters, but MBTI mimics the genome because it is a confidence trick.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I think it's not environmental so long as you had a basically normal childhood without lots of abuse or something. If abused people prone to "n" then I think someone would have noticed that correlation by now, especially Jung himself who worked a long time with psychiatric patients. Not to mention others who have studied personality type this past 100 years.

I just don't think dom/aux in a normal person can be influenced that heavily by environmental factors. It's all up for debate though. :)

I am not debating, because I am not knowledgeable enough on the subject, but, how would you account for my N, which is quite strong?

I am genuinely curious on your thoughts. :)

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Me- ISFP
Dad- INTP
Mom- ENFJ
Dad's Mom- INFP
Dad's Dad- ISTJ
Mom's Mom- ISFP
Mom's Dad- ESTP

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Me: eNFP
Mom: ESFP
Sister 1: ISFj
Sister 2: ENFJ
Sister 3: EnFP
Father: type unknown
Maternal Grandfather: ISTJ

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I disagree emphatically, mainly because I see firsthand in myself just how different I am from my adoptive family, and how similar I am to my biological family.

You have a belief that's based largely on personal experience, and while this may be a convincing argument for you, it's not enough for me. There have been a number of cases of adopted children being similar, in regards to personality, to their biological parents, but there also have been a number of cases where the children are more like their adoptive parents, in regards to personality.

The nature vs. nurture debate is not obsolete. You seem to be overly willing to make it so, however.

Phenotype = genotype + environment

I'm not denying that genes have some influence on our personality. I'm just more inclined to believe that environment plays a larger role in the phenotype variable than does the genotype (and if not larger, then perhaps equal).

Even though they are in very early stages of studying behavioral genetics, it looks like studies are corroborating what I know to be true from my own experience:

The study that you posted corroborates that there is a link between a gene and a particular neurochemical phenotype, and that there exists a trend in the way this neurochemistry manifests as a particular psychological trait.

I certainly agree that neurochemistry and psychological traits go hand-in-hand and that neurochemical phenotypes have strong genetic ties. I'm just skeptical that neurochemistry is the primary causal factor associated with the personalities that we grow to possess.

To the bolded: those are strong words. Steer clear of affirming "corroborations." The one study that you posted merely suggests that there is a genetic factor that affects our personality. It does not corroborate, by any means, that personality and genes are strongly linked, nor does it corroborate that personality is more affected by genotype than it is by the environment.

Do you have a genetics background?

I've almost completed a biology and bioengineering degree, and I spent 2 years in a laboratory genetically modifying H. pylori strains to have different flagellar phenotypes. So yes.

How do you mean?

If one is raised by two parents that hold certain beliefs/values and possess certain personality traits, then social indoctrination (a result of the environment, rather than genetics), could theoretically influence one's personality. Thus, analyzing parent's personalities as a way to discern genetic relationships among personality is a bit inconclusive. Is the correlation between the offspring's personality and the parent's personality due to traits being passed on via internal pressures (genes), or is it due to traits being passed on via external pressures? (And again, obviously this question is moot in cases like yours, as the external pressure variable and the internal pressure variable are separated.)

Matches up nicely, doesn't it?

Not really. No one in that list has Ti, so if I'm getting it from genetics, then where is it coming from?

Although there is a strong "inheritance" of Fi among my mother's side of the family. Maternal grandmother has Fi in the top 2 and so do her two children.

Very interesting! It would be fun to know your grandparents' types to see where you get your intuition and feeling.

I certainly hope you're open to the idea that not all personality traits come from our genes...

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I too think it's a combination of genetics and environment. I think I may have inherited my ExxP temperament from my mother, but I was raised in an overwhelmingly SJ environment (away from her for the most part...I mean really hardly around her at all) where I was encouraged to read constantly, do well in school, and have traditional values. I was also around my grandparents in an older, more stable and affluent part of their life than my mother was in her own childhood. I think this is why my Si is so developed for an xNFP. I am actually kind of conservative compared to my biological mother, and I'm certainly more theoretical and abstract. I attribute a lot of my personality to my upbringing, but I do agree that I share my mother's ExxP temperament and that my sisters display some aspect of her personality but the one who spent the most time away from my mother (aside from me) is an ENFJ and also more "conservative" than my mother (though not really conservative in any real sense of the word.)

In fact, I decided to come back and edit this and elaborate...my ENFJ sister was heavily, heavily influenced by her ESFJ paternal aunt...which is why I say she seems more "conservative" and very well may be the reason she's an Fe dom. My EnFP sister who spent the majority of her development with my mom leans more toward ESFP (like my mother) while I lean more toward INFP (probably due to Si influence). My ISFj sister (who also spent larger amounts of time actually being raised by my mother) definitely has Fe and Si, but she's a "soft J" making her seem almost xSFP at times...like my mother.

And when I say I'm more conservative than my mother (don't laugh, seriously, I am), I don't just mean she's a batshit crazy unstable person (um, which she was for the majority of my childhood which is why she didn't raise me...my dad was her first husband, and my sisters' father was her second husband, which is why they spent more time with her)...I mean she's STILL now that she's older and more stable stupidly permissive with children, lacks discipline toward herself and others, and her political values are actually more "bleeding heart" liberal than mine, because she doesn't temper it with any real logic or value for personal responsibility at all. I attribute this to somewhat unhealthy and definitely out-of-control Se/Fi, because basically she's always done what seemed right to her in the moment without a great deal of foresight, and I'm not saying all ESFPs are like this so don't take it as that. But yeah.

Nurture over nature FTW.

sculpting

Do you mean that Ni passes on to Se? Same with Fi to Te? Can you elaborate on your logic here? Or is it just a trend you've noticed?

This seems counterintuitive, and not what I've observed, but I think it would be interesting to see how the data falls out. Perhaps in some families where there seems no link between parents/children, there WILL be a strong correlation between grandparents/children.

Hmmm-well it really is a whole lotta Ne honestly. It just seems like there may be patterns but it is complicated to tease apart.

I would avoid MBTI and look at functions. The trends I noted are what I see in mine and my ex husbands family. I mapped it out by functions and could start to see the trends I mentioned-but the data is exceptionally sparse-just teases.

I'd expect the functions would be groups of SNPs that are inherited together, if I had to guess. But given there do seem to be certain ways of using these functions that are a bit more innate-at least for the dom and aux-it kind points to some sort of expression and repression that occur to form the pairs. I would be very interested in the role of enviornmental stress on the mother and epigentics in the eventual way the innate type is expressed. Under long term stress cortisol levels will be increased. This will alter other hormone levels likely due to modulation of gene expression or maybe methylation of dna, thus reducing transcription, but damn I am out of date on the molecular biology. So innate type but strong effect of the enviornment on the type expression perhaps?

Poki-isnt your dad Intj and your son intj? I think that is where Ni/Se correlations kinda mimiced by husbands family but who knows.

Some interesting links about innate type preferences in children:

Carlow University - Carlow Journal
The PEOPLE Process

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Type genetics seems like a stretch for me. But anyhoo;

Mum: FeSiNeTi
Dad: FiNeSiTe

Both Ne-Si users, yet all my siblings are Ni-Se users.

Bro: TeNiSeFi
Sis: FiSeNiTe
Sis: NiFeTiSe

Me: NeTiFeSi

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
My type: ISFP
mother: INFJ
father: INTJ
my son: ESTP

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mom: ENFP
Dad: INTJ

Mom's mom: ESFJ
Mom's dad: INTP

Dad's mom: INFP
Dad's dad: ENTJ

Mom's sister: ESFJ
Cousins (Oldest to youngest): ESTJ, ESFJ, INTP, ENFP

Dad's siblings (oldest to youngest): ISTJ, INFP, INTP, ESFJ

Last edited:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks to everyone who has posted so far!

I am not debating, because I am not knowledgeable enough on the subject, but, how would you account for my N, which is quite strong?

I am genuinely curious on your thoughts. :)

I'm not debating either. Just curious. I have no idea where your N came from. :) My personal opinion is that people's genes are largely responsible for their personality types, therefore must 'come' from somewhere in your recent line, barring some bizarre childhood or something.

You have a belief that's based largely on personal experience, and while this may be a convincing argument for you, it's not enough for me. There have been a number of cases of adopted children being similar, in regards to personality, to their biological parents, but there also have been a number of cases where the children are more like their adoptive parents, in regards to personality.

I haven't even delved into studies yet. As is typical of Ni, I'm starting with my own experience>combining it with observation>attempting some primitive data gathering to see if I can see a pattern>and now if I don't find something better to think about, will probably start studying up on it.

The nature vs. nurture debate is not obsolete. You seem to be overly willing to make it so, however.

That's just my bias showing. If I didn't have bias, or stated that I didn't have bias in this situation, it would be a fallacious statement, because obviously I do, since most of my opinion involves my personal experiences. I simply see it so clearly, that I forget there are real divergent opinions on the matter. But, yeah, even in my own family, 33% think it's nurture, and 66% think it's nature over nurture. I'm not sure of the general public's opinion on it. Probably about even, I'd guess. I'll even go so far as to say I'm about 85% nature effects/15% nurture effects, given a normal environment. So that's where I personally stand on the issue.

I'm not denying that genes have some influence on our personality. I'm just more inclined to believe that environment plays a larger role in the phenotype variable than does the genotype (and if not larger, then perhaps equal).

Yes, thanks for stating that relationship in straightforward terms. I think it also needs to be said that, well, I'll let this statement say if for me (from wikipedia):

Despite its seemingly straightforward definition, the concept of the phenotype has some hidden subtleties. First, most of the molecules and structures coded by the genetic material are not visible in the appearance of an organism, yet they are observable (for example by Western blotting) and are thus part of the phenotype. Human blood groups are an example. So, by extension, the term phenotype must include characteristics that can be made visible by some technical procedure. Another extension adds behaviour to the phenotype since behaviours are also observable characteristics.

And

Simple single-celled eukaryotes have relatively small amounts of such DNA, whereas the genomes of complex multicellular organisms, including humans, contain an absolute majority of DNA without an identified function.

My point being that we are an accumulation of a lot more genetic material than is ever apparent, and scientists think that certain conditions might elicit expression of some of that 'hidden' DNA, which could also (my own pov next>) eventually account for the effects termed 'nurture.' But, even so, we cannot just take phenotype and say anything not readily observable in a parent or other close relative means it comes from environment, which can be a temptation for many, especially those biased toward nurture>nature.

The study that you posted corroborates that there is a link between a gene and a particular neurochemical phenotype, and that there exists a trend in the way this neurochemistry manifests as a particular psychological trait.

I certainly agree that neurochemistry and psychological traits go hand-in-hand and that neurochemical phenotypes have strong genetic ties. I'm just skeptical that neurochemistry is the primary causal factor associated with the personalities that we grow to possess.

Why are you skeptical of that? I'm especially interested in your scientific assessment since you work/study in this realm, but personal is good as well.

If one is raised by two parents that hold certain beliefs/values and possess certain personality traits, then social indoctrination (a result of the environment, rather than genetics), could theoretically influence one's personality. Thus, analyzing parent's personalities as a way to discern genetic relationships among personality is a bit inconclusive. Is the correlation between the offspring's personality and the parent's personality due to traits being passed on via internal pressures (genes), or is it due to traits being passed on via external pressures? (And again, obviously this question is moot in cases like yours, as the external pressure variable and the internal pressure variable are separated.)

Exactly. That's why they like to look to adopted children and twins to hold those variables a bit more stable than would normally be possible. Surely in your travels around the science department you know of studies that corroborate or refute nature over nurture debate.

Not really. No one in that list has Ti, so if I'm getting it from genetics, then where is it coming from?

Although there is a strong "inheritance" of Fi among my mother's side of the family. Maternal grandmother has Fi in the top 2 and so do her two children.

Well, it could be coming from anywhere, couldn't it. I have seen quite a few Ne doms (mainly Ti aux though) who can't seem to trace their Ne/Ti to any/many close relatives, mainly parents. Perhaps there is a facet to Ne that is more promoted by environmental influence, perhaps it is repressed more easily, and then seemingly appears out of nowhere, or perhaps it (by the nurture theory) is just cultivated by external events.

I certainly hope you're open to the idea that not all personality traits come from our genes...

No, I definitely think other factors are involved, but that they mainly become players when a normal loving environment is tampered with. I believe by default, a genetic organism (in this case a person) will inherently be a product of his genes, down to his mannerisms, expressions, cognitive functions, and basic mindset. I think ego plays a huge role in all our personalities, but, again, when that ego development has been screwed up for some reason. If a person has not had a normal development physically and emotionally in his primary developmental years (<20y.o), then he will manifest the fullest expression of his innate genotype, inasmuch as possible. If there is some need to survive, whether physically or emotionally, then, of course, that person will bend to whatever external pressures exist. I will propose, however, that even how the person flexes, the nuances of that, is probably an inherent mechanism at play that is normally dormant. That's why I still believe we are like 85-90% nature.

I too think it's a combination of genetics and environment. I think I may have inherited my ExxP temperament from my mother, but I was raised in an overwhelmingly SJ environment (away from her for the most part...I mean really hardly around her at all) where I was encouraged to read constantly, do well in school, and have traditional values. I was also around my grandparents in an older, more stable and affluent part of their life than my mother was in her own childhood. I think this is why my Si is so developed for an xNFP. I am actually kind of conservative compared to my biological mother, and I'm certainly more theoretical and abstract. I attribute a lot of my personality to my upbringing, but I do agree that I share my mother's ExxP temperament and that my sisters display some aspect of her personality but the one who spent the most time away from my mother (aside from me) is an ENFJ and also more "conservative" than my mother (though not really conservative in any real sense of the word.)

In fact, I decided to come back and edit this and elaborate...my ENFJ sister was heavily, heavily influenced by her ESFJ paternal aunt...which is why I say she seems more "conservative" and very well may be the reason she's an Fe dom. My EnFP sister who spent the majority of her development with my mom leans more toward ESFP (like my mother) while I lean more toward INFP (probably due to Si influence). My ISFj sister (who also spent larger amounts of time actually being raised by my mother) definitely has Fe and Si, but she's a "soft J" making her seem almost xSFP at times...like my mother.

And when I say I'm more conservative than my mother (don't laugh, seriously, I am), I don't just mean she's a batshit crazy unstable person (um, which she was for the majority of my childhood which is why she didn't raise me...my dad was her first husband, and my sisters' father was her second husband, which is why they spent more time with her)...I mean she's STILL now that she's older and more stable stupidly permissive with children, lacks discipline toward herself and others, and her political values are actually more "bleeding heart" liberal than mine, because she doesn't temper it with any real logic or value for personal responsibility at all. I attribute this to somewhat unhealthy and definitely out-of-control Se/Fi, because basically she's always done what seemed right to her in the moment without a great deal of foresight, and I'm not saying all ESFPs are like this so don't take it as that. But yeah.

Nurture over nature FTW.

Not knowing your father's type or the father(s?) of your sisters really makes it impossible to process your data objectively. But it is still interesting and food for thought.

Hmmm-well it really is a whole lotta Ne honestly. It just seems like there may be patterns but it is complicated to tease apart.

I would avoid MBTI and look at functions. The trends I noted are what I see in mine and my ex husbands family. I mapped it out by functions and could start to see the trends I mentioned-but the data is exceptionally sparse-just teases.

Yeah, functions for sure, I agree.

I'd expect the functions would be groups of SNPs that are inherited together, if I had to guess. But given there do seem to be certain ways of using these functions that are a bit more innate-at least for the dom and aux-it kind points to some sort of expression and repression that occur to form the pairs. I would be very interested in the role of enviornmental stress on the mother and epigentics in the eventual way the innate type is expressed. Under long term stress cortisol levels will be increased. This will alter other hormone levels likely due to modulation of gene expression or maybe methylation of dna, thus reducing transcription, but damn I am out of date on the molecular biology. So innate type but strong effect of the enviornment on the type expression perhaps?

Pairs is an interesting concept to ponder. Jag had a link to someone who proposed that we use pairs of functions at various times in our lives like waves, changing pairs as we go through life.

Finally, I will leave you for now with a quote from Jung pps 331-333:

In the same family one child is introverted, the other extraverted. Since the facts show that the attitude-type is a general phenomenon having an apparently random distribution, it cannot be a matter of conscious judgment or conscious intention, but must be due to some unconscious, instinctive cause. As a general psychological phenomenon, therefore, the type antithesis must have some kind of biological foundation.

The fact that children often exhibit a typical attitude quite unmistakably even in their earliest years forces us to assume that it cannot be the struggle for existence in the ordinary sense that determines a particular attitude. It might be objected, cogently enough, that even the infant at the breast has ato perform an unconscious act of psychological adaptation, in the at the mother's influence leads to specific reactions in the child. This argument, while supported by incontestable evidence, becomes rather flimsy in face of the equally incontestable fact that two children of the same mother may exhibit contrary attitudes a t an early age, though no change in the mother's attitude can be demonstrated. Although nothing would induce me to underrate the incalculable importance of parental influence, this familiar experience compels me to conclude that the decisive factor must be looked for in the disposition of the child. Ultimately it must be the individual disposition which decides whether the child will belong to this or that type despite the constancy of external conditions. Naturally I am thinking only of normal cases. Under abnormal conditions, i.e., when the mother's own attitude is extreme, a similar attitude can be forced on the children too, thus violating their individual disposition, which might have opted for another type if no abnormal external influences had intervened. As a rule, whenever such a falsification of type takes place as a result of parental influence, the individual becomes neurotic later, and can be cured only by developing the attitude consonant with his nature.

As to individual disposition, I have nothing to say except that there are obviously individuals who have a greater capacity, or to whom it is more congenial, to adapt in one way and not another. It may well be that physiological causes of which we have no knowledge play a part in this. I do not think it improbable, in view of one's experience that a reversal of type often proves exceedingly harmful to the physiological well-being of the organism, usually causing acute exhaustion.

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Paternal grandfather: ISTP
Paternal grandmother: ISFJ
Dad: INFP
Dad's sister: ESFJ

Maternal grandfather: ISTP
Maternal grandmother: ESFJ
Mom: ESFJ
Mom's older sister: ENFJ
Mom's younger sister: ISTJ
Mom's brother: ENTP

Me: INTJ
Older half-sister: INFP (different mother)
Younger sister: ESFP
Younger brother: ESTP

All of these types are speculative on my part, so there may be some error. Even still, I don't believe there is a correlation.

I'm beginning to think one of these threads should be floated.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Me - INFJ NiFeTiSe
Mom - ISTJ SiTeFiNe
Dad - ISFJ SiFeTiNe
Brother - INTP TiNeSiFe

Dad's Dad - INTJ NiTeFiSe
Dad's Mom - ESFJ FeSiNeTi
Dad's Sister - xNTx ?? (she's definitely not INTJ, but of the other three I really don't know)

Mom's Dad - ISTJ SiTeFiNe
Mom's Mom - ISxJ Si ? ? Ne
Mom's Sister - ISxP ? SeNi ?

teslashock said:

Very valid points; I was thinking these same things

Also, the other fact that while personality itself is influenced/created by genes to a degree, we still have to remember *we're* the ones who've 'made up' the mbti dichotomies and functions, and the categories we've created may not have any bearing on the 'categories'/personality characteristics the genes code for. If that makes any sense.

Last edited:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not knowing your father's type or the father(s?) of your sisters really makes it impossible to process your data objectively. But it is still interesting and food for thought.

The father of my three sisters is most likely xSTP. I'd lean toward ESTP.

I think your numbers for nature vs. nurture are too high. While some biological, genetic factors are obviously going to have an impact, I don't think you're giving nearly enough credit to environment, upbringing, learning, culture, etc.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mom: eNFJ
Dad: INTP

^These I'm confident of (that if they were to take the official test, they'd get these results). My sister & uncle I'm less certain of.

Sister: ISxx (first guess ISTP, second guess ISxJ)
Dad's brother: ENTJ

My son: INFJ (I'm pretty sure. But then, he's only 16.)

^His dad: ENTJ

Also, the other fact that while personality itself is influenced/created by genes to a degree, we still have to remember *we're* the ones who've 'made up' the mbti dichotomies and functions, and the categories we've created may not have any bearing on the 'categories'/personality characteristics the genes code for. If that makes any sense.

^This is always where I end up. I always feel the need to point out that- no matter how much we think we know- it should still be taken with a grain of salt. People form constructs to categorize events and phenomena for the sake of sharing and improving our understanding of them, but then we can inadvertently shift toward studying the construct as though it were the same as studying the actual event or phenomena (instead of something we created to represent the event or phenomena, basically mistaking the map for the territory).

...if THAT makes any sense.