Father: EsTJ
    Mother: ISFJ

Sisters :
    ISTP
    ExFJ (I lean toward ENFJ)

Brothers:
    iNTP
    ENTP

I'm the youngest, then my istp sister is 4 years older and all my other siblings are 12 to 15 years older than me.

Ooopsy. Looks like someone was an accident.......just sayin'
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post

Very interesting! It would be fun to know your grandparents' types to see where you get your intuition and feeling.
    Mat. G-ma - ESFP
    Mat. G-pa - ESTJ

Pat. G-ma - ISFJ
    I never knew my Grandpa.

I was thinking that it may be more environmental. If you want to go with the functions being there in the first place, both my ISTP Dad and ESTP mom have the same functions as I do, just different orders.

I have read (I cannot find where, I'll keep looking) that intuition can be, or is, honed during conflict in childhood. It goes along with having to size up a situation to make sure it is safe, without actually letting on that is what the child is doing. Or to get a feel for someones mood.

Also for the Fe, I was often the mediator in my childhood, and felt responsible to help others understand each other.

So my thought is that those particular functions were (possibly) there, but refined and strengthened by my environment out of necessity more than anything.

Your thoughts?
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Mom: INFJ
    Dad: INTJ

I have no idea what my siblings are
    When I get sad I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Video Challenge Question Video
    Race: Werepire
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    7w8 sx>so>sp
    Give me an E! E
    Give me a N! N
    Give me a T! T
    Give me a P! P
    What's that? Yeah right, that's me!

Always expect the unexpected! - Terry Pratchett

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    AA I would suggest paying close attention to Ni/Se patterns-ie INTJ/ISTP dads/sons. Also Fi/Te combos-ENFPs having INTJ children.
    Do you mean that Ni passes on to Se? Same with Fi to Te? Can you elaborate on your logic here? Or is it just a trend you've noticed?

Also-skipping of generations? Every single grandkid in our family matches to a grandparents type. All of the middle generation tentitively match to the great grandparants, although there is much error there.
    This seems counterintuitive, and not what I've observed, but I think it would be interesting to see how the data falls out. Perhaps in some families where there seems no link between parents/children, there WILL be a strong correlation between grandparents/children.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    mom ixfp (thought infp for a long time, then wondered isfp but I kinda think she is infp after all - she is certainly VERY impractical but to a degree living in the moment also - more like fluttering from one panic to another)

dad xNTx (I think he's ENTP or less likely, ENTJ but he thinks he's INTJ)

me: istp
    sister 1: isfp
    sister 2: exfp - leaning towards s but I don't know her very well
    sister 3: infx - I think infj. possibly intp but I don't think so.

edit: I think my maternal grandfather was istp, though it's hard to tell in older people. Possibly intp or intj.

So are you gonna analyze all the results somehow? We've had a bunch of these threads over the years but no real conclusions, I'd be interested if there were trends. In the past it's seemed like some families have strong trends but others have completely unrelated types (esfj --> intp seems common, for example)
    I hadn't planned on it, but, yeah, I'm leaning that way. I will see if my husband can write some sort of app with a scatter plot or something to see if there are any positive correlations. I think I should do mbti type because that's what everyone is reporting, but I might also look at it from the standpoint of dom/aux as well, since (for the most part), mbti and dom/aux seem to correlate.

You should firm up your parents' types. Surely you can tell if your mother is n or s? I know N/S can be difficult.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post
    Mat. G-ma - ESFP
    Mat. G-pa - ESTJ

Pat. G-ma - ISFJ
    I never knew my Grandpa.

I was thinking that it may be more environmental. If you want to go with the functions being there in the first place, both my ISTP Dad and ESTP mom have the same functions as I do, just different orders.

I have read (I cannot find where, I'll keep looking) that intuition can be, or is, honed during conflict in childhood. It goes along with having to size up a situation to make sure it is safe, without actually letting on that is what the child is doing. Or to get a feel for someones mood.
    I think it's not environmental so long as you had a basically normal childhood without lots of abuse or something. If abused people prone to "n" then I think someone would have noticed that correlation by now, especially Jung himself who worked a long time with psychiatric patients. Not to mention others who have studied personality type this past 100 years.

Also for the Fe, I was often the mediator in my childhood, and felt responsible to help others understand each other.

So my thought is that those particular functions were (possibly) there, but refined and strengthened by my environment out of necessity more than anything.

Your thoughts?
    I just don't think dom/aux in a normal person can be influenced that heavily by environmental factors. It's all up for debate though.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

The genome is digital and can be sequenced with exquisite precision.

On the other hand MBTI is analog and can't be analysed with any precision.

MBTI has four letters just as the genome has four letters, but MBTI mimics the genome because it is a confidence trick.

I think it's not environmental so long as you had a basically normal childhood without lots of abuse or something. If abused people prone to "n" then I think someone would have noticed that correlation by now, especially Jung himself who worked a long time with psychiatric patients. Not to mention others who have studied personality type this past 100 years.

I just don't think dom/aux in a normal person can be influenced that heavily by environmental factors. It's all up for debate though.
    I am not debating, because I am not knowledgeable enough on the subject, but, how would you account for my N, which is quite strong?

I am genuinely curious on your thoughts.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Me- ISFP
    Dad- INTP
    Mom- ENFJ
    Dad's Mom- INFP
    Dad's Dad- ISTJ
    Mom's Mom- ISFP
    Mom's Dad- ESTP
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Me: eNFP
    Mom: ESFP
    Sister 1: ISFj
    Sister 2: ENFJ
    Sister 3: EnFP
    Father: type unknown
    Maternal Grandfather: ISTJ

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I disagree emphatically, mainly because I see firsthand in myself just how different I am from my adoptive family, and how similar I am to my biological family.
    You have a belief that's based largely on personal experience, and while this may be a convincing argument for you, it's not enough for me. There have been a number of cases of adopted children being similar, in regards to personality, to their biological parents, but there also have been a number of cases where the children are more like their adoptive parents, in regards to personality.

The nature vs. nurture debate is not obsolete. You seem to be overly willing to make it so, however.

Phenotype = genotype + environment

I'm not denying that genes have some influence on our personality. I'm just more inclined to believe that environment plays a larger role in the phenotype variable than does the genotype (and if not larger, then perhaps equal).

Even though they are in very early stages of studying behavioral genetics, it looks like studies are corroborating what I know to be true from my own experience:
    The study that you posted corroborates that there is a link between a gene and a particular neurochemical phenotype, and that there exists a trend in the way this neurochemistry manifests as a particular psychological trait.

I certainly agree that neurochemistry and psychological traits go hand-in-hand and that neurochemical phenotypes have strong genetic ties. I'm just skeptical that neurochemistry is the primary causal factor associated with the personalities that we grow to possess.

To the bolded: those are strong words. Steer clear of affirming "corroborations." The one study that you posted merely suggests that there is a genetic factor that affects our personality. It does not corroborate, by any means, that personality and genes are strongly linked, nor does it corroborate that personality is more affected by genotype than it is by the environment.

Do you have a genetics background?
    I've almost completed a biology and bioengineering degree, and I spent 2 years in a laboratory genetically modifying H. pylori strains to have different flagellar phenotypes. So yes.

How do you mean?
    If one is raised by two parents that hold certain beliefs/values and possess certain personality traits, then social indoctrination (a result of the environment, rather than genetics), could theoretically influence one's personality. Thus, analyzing parent's personalities as a way to discern genetic relationships among personality is a bit inconclusive. Is the correlation between the offspring's personality and the parent's personality due to traits being passed on via internal pressures (genes), or is it due to traits being passed on via external pressures? (And again, obviously this question is moot in cases like yours, as the external pressure variable and the internal pressure variable are separated.)

Matches up nicely, doesn't it?
    Not really. No one in that list has Ti, so if I'm getting it from genetics, then where is it coming from?

Although there is a strong "inheritance" of Fi among my mother's side of the family. Maternal grandmother has Fi in the top 2 and so do her two children.

Very interesting! It would be fun to know your grandparents' types to see where you get your intuition and feeling.
    I certainly hope you're open to the idea that not all personality traits come from our genes...