• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

what function is this

Chloe

Somebody told me he spends most time thinking about stuff like this : he's in a bus and he sees a tree outside and then he immediately starts to think about the layers within tree, then he goes from the outside to the inside of the tree, layer by layer, then different direction upside, down... etc...

so what function is this, what type this person could be..

edit: i know the type of the person (not 100% sure, i'm between 2 types [both types use same perceiving functions so...], but one is much more likely. but i'll say after some answers)

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
More likely Ne. Ne sees patterns branching out from external reality.

Ni is much more focused, determining what is hidden from view based on what is seen. Usually Ni sees a pattern and "connects the dots".

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ

Ni is much more focused, determining what is hidden from view based on what is seen. Usually Ni sees a pattern and "connects the dots".

The layers of a tree are unseen.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ

You know, lately I've been wondering if I do use Ni in some form. I'm deeply fascinated about patterns, and I love interpreting themes and conceptual commonalities between things.

I confess I STILL don't understand what Ni is. Yes, I've read of the nice metaphors used to explain that if Ne is a "V", Ni is a "V" upside down...but I still don't get how that actually translates into practical things and thoughts and considerations....

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I confess I STILL don't understand what Ni is. Yes, I've read of the nice metaphors used to explain that if Ne is a "V", Ni is a "V" upside down...but I still don't get how that actually translates into practical things and thoughts and considerations....

You aren't the only one. I think I've got a better grasp of it than I used to, but I still can't explain it in words. And there's a saying, "If you can't explain it clearly, you don't understand it well enough".

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
You aren't the only one. I think I've got a better grasp of it than I used to, but I still can't explain it in words. And there's a saying, "If you can't explain it clearly, you don't understand it well enough".

Or you're bad with words.

Chloe

so any more suggestions what function is that in OP?

i really doubt it's Ne.

The layers of tree are unseen.

:yes:

when I see a tree I think more like "why is this tree planted here? are those trees next to this one planted in the same time or before? what is planned to built next to this tree ? ... and then "omg, it'd be cool if there are 2 trees next to each other so I can put this and this between them and do this and this then, and if that person over there would be interested in participating with .. blah blah" - i think this is the way how Ne thinks in this situation.

or
"hmm, this tree wasnt here before because i see its much smaller than other trees next to him. i wonder was here something else before, maybe it was an old house. eh, they probably knocked down that house... huh, I wonder where's that family living now... maybe it was some old lady.. or some old couple... like that couple i knew who got paid really well for selling their old house.." - a tree is forgoten within 2 minutes :D

Chloe

So OP person is either INTJ or ISTP. Odds that he's INTJ are 90% and ISTP are only 10%.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Aye, it could be Ni. Does he simply know where the lines are? or Does he consider it as one of many possibilities?

Chloe

Aye, it could be Ni. Does he simply know where the lines are? or Does he consider it as one of many possibilities?

hm,.. I need to ask him! :huh:

I got impression he "knows" meaning.. he scans a tree and goes through it bumping into lines... and not thinking "is a line here.. or here"-possibilities...

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The layers of a tree are unseen.
And they're also concrete objects that you know are there, from learning about trees. Ni deals with abstract data such as underlying meanings.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
The persons thougts certainly seem to be introverted. Considering the tree doesn't prompt them to take action. Furthermore, they are not drawing any conclusions from their wondering thoughts. Basically, all they are doing is generating ideas about what it might look like inside the tree... or perhaps just "a" tree. It sounds more Ni to me than anything else.

Ni works as an information generating function much of the time, creating ideas with little outside stimulus. It's an odd function really, as while the psychological energy flows inwards to fuel the thought processses, the flow of information is actually outwards, utilising the auxillary.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ni involves the gathering or "flashing" of wanted information alone. It can also lead to the desire of manipulating information: ambition. It is "cultured" idea. Ne desires more information simply because it does. It is "gathered" idea.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The persons thougts certainly seem to be introverted. Considering the tree doesn't prompt them to take action. Furthermore, they are not drawing any conclusions from their wondering thoughts. Basically, all they are doing is generating ideas about what it might look like inside the tree... or perhaps just "a" tree. It sounds more Ni to me than anything else.
There's also Si.That's what it sounds more like. The data, once again, is concrete, not abstract. Only it's internalized, rather than external and current. It's taken from what was once seen in a tree (even if an ilustration in a book on trees or nature show).
Si does work in tandem with Ne, so that would explain looking at a tree and imagining its rings based on previous knowledge of the inside of trees.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
There's also Si.That's what it sounds more like. The data, once again, is concrete, not abstract. Only it's internalized, rather than external and current. It's taken from what was once seen in a tree (even if an ilustration in a book on trees or nature show).
Si does work in tandem with Ne, so that would explain looking at a tree and imagining its rings based on previous knowledge of the inside of trees.

It would seem that your definitions of Si and Ni are different to mine. I don't consider Si to be intrinsically linked to memory, nor Ni to deal only with the abstract. Given this difference, your explanations make not sense to me, and mine make none to you. Unless one of us changes our thoughts on these two functions, the point is irresolveable. Do you wish to hear my thoughts on Si and Ni?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't say intrinsically/only, but still, S (either attitude) is concrete, N (either attitude) is abstract, and the internal perception being made there is clearly concrete, and internal concrete perception often manifests in the form of memory (it also includes internal body senses).

But OK, you give your thoughts on Si and Ni.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Re OP.

Y'ever take a look at what Poki writes?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I didn't say intrinsically/only, but still, S (either attitude) is concrete, N (either attitude) is abstract, and the internal perception being made there is clearly concrete, and internal concrete perception often manifests in the form of memory (it also includes internal body senses).

But OK, you give your thoughts on Si and Ni.

Ok, I'll start with Si. It does indeed deal with things that are concrete. I regard it as a preferance for facts, principals or other information that the user regards as concrete, reliable or otherwise immutable. When an Si user is presented with information, they will grade it according to how much faith they can put in it. The more reliable it is, the more it will feature in their decision making. By contrast, uncertainty brings about caution and perhaps an urge to avoid the associated risks.

Si gets in backward looking character from the fact that certainty of outcome is only really seen in things that have already run there course. Thus the SJ will examine what has gone before to find what has already worked or failed. The future always contains some uncertainty, and so the Si user will try to find the most certain way of assuring a good future.

Similarly, the SJs reputation for being able to recall lots of factual information comes about because facts are usually easier to verify than ideas, and once certified as good the fact becomes more valuable to them. This importance makes the SJ more likely to remember the fact.

This is why I do not regard the example in the thread as Si, because it is not trying to certify the image of the inside of the tree as true. It's a flight of fancy, an idea of how things might be. It's little more than a random idea that popped into the persons head and was played with for awhile to see what happened.

I'll wait to see what you think of this before saying anything more.

Tom

MBTI Type
Jipe
Enneagram
Memb
Similarly, the SJs reputation for being able to recall lots of factual information comes about because facts are usually easier to verify than ideas, and once certified as good the fact becomes more valuable to them. This importance makes the SJ more likely to remember the fact.

When I read the original post I immediately thought along these lines. Though to me it seems like a clear-cut case of Si; the recollection of learned facts sparked by the image of the tree. Perhaps its clouded because other functions are inevitably used too?

Just by the first post, I'd chime in with ISTJ.