• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

what function is this

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Somebody told me he spends most time thinking about stuff like this : he's in a bus and he sees a tree outside and then he immediately starts to think about the layers within tree, then he goes from the outside to the inside of the tree, layer by layer, then different direction upside, down... etc...

so what function is this, what type this person could be..

Sounds like the type of person that may need to be medicated

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok, I'll start with Si. It does indeed deal with things that are concrete. I regard it as a preferance for facts, principals or other information that the user regards as concrete, reliable or otherwise immutable. When an Si user is presented with information, they will grade it according to how much faith they can put in it. The more reliable it is, the more it will feature in their decision making. By contrast, uncertainty brings about caution and perhaps an urge to avoid the associated risks.

Si gets in backward looking character from the fact that certainty of outcome is only really seen in things that have already run there course. Thus the SJ will examine what has gone before to find what has already worked or failed. The future always contains some uncertainty, and so the Si user will try to find the most certain way of assuring a good future.

Similarly, the SJs reputation for being able to recall lots of factual information comes about because facts are usually easier to verify than ideas, and once certified as good the fact becomes more valuable to them. This importance makes the SJ more likely to remember the fact.

This is why I do not regard the example in the thread as Si, because it is not trying to certify the image of the inside of the tree as true. It's a flight of fancy, an idea of how things might be. It's little more than a random idea that popped into the persons head and was played with for awhile to see what happened.

I'll wait to see what you think of this before saying anything more.

What Tom said. The recollection of learned facts sparked by the image of the tree. Trying to certify something would be just one aspect of Si. But in a way, that is kind of trying to certify it. What it must look like. The whole "idea of how things might be" would be Ne working in tandem with Si (the functions do not operate in their own little vacuums, I believe). But the initial data is clearly based on concrete remembrance.

deleted
I don't see anything that would disprove INTJ and Ni for this. Seems like something an INTJ might think about. Technical and architectural, with the kind of indirectness or uselessness that is attributed to what iNtuitives think about. So NT overall.

Tom

MBTI Type
Jipe
Enneagram
Memb
Just a thought - Perhaps the N version of the example would be seeing the tree without prior knowledge of its structure and theorising that there's probably be some kind of tube to transport water from the roots to the rest of the plant, and various layers for whatever, etc? For that I'd guess NT, probably INT.

As it is though, it seems like quite isolated Si.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Are you sure this isn't Ti lol

Breaking down a tree, taking it apart piece by piece, layer by layer, analyzing each part, figuring it out how it all connects, then refitting it all back together into one.

Chloe

Are you sure this isn't Ti lol

Breaking down a tree, taking it apart piece by piece, layer by layer, analyzing each part, figuring it out how it all connects, then refitting it all back together into one.

This is why I opened the thread - I was between Ti and Ni.

does this sound like something you'd think about ? (OP example)

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It sounds very Ti in my opinion. I do this when I want to understand things. "Why" though is I don't believe Ti alone.

Chloe

It sounds very Ti in my opinion. I do this when I want to understand things. "Why" though is I don't believe Ti alone.

the thing is guy is clearly INT, and I very much doubt he's INTP. :huh: INTJ matches him very well.. I doubt he's ISTP since he is like NTs not SPs.. and is always going on tangents and whatnot.
well I guess I could also said some things I think about that are Fe and in general I dont use it (much) so...

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was thinking that it could be either. It sounds like something I might dream up. INTJ=> practical imagination + logic, INTP=> logic + creative imagination... right?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I was thinking that it could be either. It sounds like something I might dream up. INTJ=> practical imagination + logic, INTP=> logic + creative imagination... right?

Imagination is just imagination. It would be more true to say that INTJs have practical motivation more than anything else. I think of all sorts of rubbish, which is why I often sit around giggling like a lune to myself, but I only tend to to share the bits that will be useful to the world at large.