User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    What kind of problems? Without knowing more, I will simply say "Yes". For me, Fi usage is especially critical in the early stages of problem solving. (Understand/Determine the problem, Develop requirements for a solution.)
    I was hoping uumlau would respond too.... I was hoping you had an example...

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I was hoping uumlau would respond too.... I was hoping you had an example...
    I mean an example of a problem. Different types of problems require different strategies for solutions.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Is Fi useful for problem solving?
    Fi solves a different kind of problem. Remember that Fi is slow, not fast.

Ni/Te is very fast (for me) and solves problem like crazy.

However, where Ni/Te is really good for thinking my way out of a paper bag, Fi-understanding is really good for not finding oneself in a paper bag in the first place.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

And branches are the various theorems? So what is the root of the tree? Aka, what goes into creating an axiom?

Honestly, the axiom structure doesn't resonate with me that much. I guess whatever I have provides direction rather than answers. Perhaps my Fi just isn't all that developed, though.
    Hmm yes that's a metaphor on the fly ... let me give it life with roots and branches and leaves - shall ponder that one.

Did you read my assertion example above? Does that help at all?

Is Fi useful for problem solving?
    Each tool in the toolbox has a job. I find Fi instantly gives me access to what feels right or wrong about a problem. Then I have to work through all the possible variables to see why I feel bothered so. Ne is flying around at this point, creating multiple scenarios, possibilities and solutions. Then a lil break is in order to let the other functions weigh in so to speak - are the possible solutions practical, logical, feasible.

I love problem-solving. Don't always love problems, but all the possibilities ... whee!

Edit: I should add though that emotion-laden issues that need attention will be full of (imagine) emotions whilst I sort them out. It can be stressful.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Fi solves a different kind of problem. Remember that Fi is slow, not fast.

Ni/Te is very fast (for me) and solves problem like crazy.
    That's interesting, because I don't perceive Fi as slow, exactly. I think it's slow to verbalize and slow to understand logically, but it often does evaluate things relatively quickly. I would say it doesn't tend to lead to time awareness, but instead tends to wants plumb things in depth and understand their nature (much like Ti). Of course, for me this could be some Ne spilling in there, too.

Te (the little I understand it) feels more impatient and goal oriented by comparison.

Areas where Fi is useful for problem solving:
    • Aligning one's actions with one's own values.
    • Coming up with solutions that respect the values of others (and personal autonomy in general).
    • Making aesthetic evaluations, especially ones involving self expression. (ISFPs can be good at this, in particular)
    • Evaluating subtle difference in emotional tone (helpful when communicating or analyzing the communications of others).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

This is a problem that INFPs can run into. What if one of your axioms *is* wrong? Would you be willing to face that devastation? Or would you cling to your axiom at all costs... and "fight" to the bloody end, WINNING by any logical means, brute force tactics, or olive branch extending compromises, over whoever challenged it?

Or have you designed your axioms such that they are 100% guaranteed to be correct?
    Personally, I see the world mostly in shades of gray instead of black and white. There might be some axioms that are sacrosanct, but I doubt there will be many. The example of stealing can have exceptions such as the case of Robin Hood or people looting a supermarket for food after a disaster like an earthquake.

I think that is part of the 'maturing' process; the figuring out of the threshold of each axiom. Because a mature Fi-user to me would be one who could stand his ground yet at the same time be willing to compromise to a certain point.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    Personally, I see the world mostly in shades of gray instead of black and white. There might be some axioms that are sacrosanct, but I doubt there will be many. The example of stealing can have exceptions such as the case of Robin Hood or people looting a supermarket for food after a disaster like an earthquake.

I think that is part of the 'maturing' process; the figuring out of the threshold of each axiom. Because a mature Fi-user to me would be one who could stand his ground yet at the same time be willing to compromise to a certain point.
    As I mentioned already though, even in the case of justifiable exceptions, you are not going to believe stealing to be fundamentally or morally correct, are you?
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    As I mentioned already though, even in the case of justifiable exceptions, you are not going to believe stealing to be fundamentally correct, are you?
    Nope, it's more like "Stealing is wrong" is 99.99% true, not "Stealing is right" is 0.01% true
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

uumlau, gonna throw this out there
    Fi is hard to articulate because we are communicating with a tool that is very new to the earth....english.
    english does articulate science very well, however, when it comes to nature, it sucks, imo. yet, i did find a symbol that might work well in mixing nature with this science concerning Fi.
    *sovereign*
    actually, i think i've seen it a time or two in descriptions.
    sovereignty exists, it's not granted. i seen somewhere Fi despises beaurocracy. could be a difference there with Fe. Fe would understand a beaurocracy comes with a civilisation and would value a popular consenus. Fi would understand maintaining sovereignty within the individuals/groups or even that civilisation itself from greater consensus due to valuing an idea of one size does not fit all.
    for what it's worth
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

A = B or A is B makes it 100% correct though ...

If stealing is wrong, then ...

(I am just being a bit provocative here.)
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching