• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

3 questions about MBTI

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
1) I just read fron some thread about interaction styles. Could somebody clarify that matter to me? What are the interaction styles and where I could stydy more about them (literature, links etc.)?

2) Another thing that I don't get are the archetypes. What are they?

3) From where I could learn more about cognitive styles (literature, links etc.)

Thanks already! :blush:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) I just read fron some thread about interaction styles. Could somebody clarify that matter to me? What are the interaction styles and where I could stydy more about them (literature, links etc.)?

start here

2) Another thing that I don't get are the archetypes. What are they?

MBTI archetypes are "clumps" of type (four groupings x four types in each grouping = 16 types) and generally follow two patterns:

Original MBTI = xSTx, xSFx, xNTx, xNFx or otherwise ST, SF, NT, NF
Keirsey = NT, NF, SJ, SP

Keirsey believes that the Sensor types are more accurately grouped in terms of general motivations by using the J/P factor rather than T/F directly. Check his site for more explanation.

There are pro's and con's to either style of grouping.

3) From where I could learn more about cognitive styles (literature, links etc.)

Start with Berens' site.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
start here

Original MBTI = xSTx, xSFx, xNTx, xNFx or otherwise ST, SF, NT, NF
Keirsey = NT, NF, SJ, SP

Start with Berens' site.

Thanks for the links! :)

I'm familiar with Keirsey's temerament types because I started my MBTI journey by reading throught Please Understand me I & II. I'm not familiar with original ST, SF,NT and NF so I'll have to study more about those. I just bought the book Gifts Differing so maybe that will clarify the original MBTI things for me.

Anyhow I feel that Keirsey's temperament styles have been useful for me when typing people.

A book called Building Blocks of Personality Type was mentioned in Beren's site. Is that book any good? :thinking:

Jen, I thought the archetypes were Jung's character projections of the mind. As far as that relates to MBTI, each function has a character in our conscious and unconscious minds, e.g. the dominant function is the Hero, the auxiliary is the Wise Parent, etc. and that contributes to how we view ourselves and others.

Jung's Archetypes
Jungian archetypes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not too familiar with Jung. I'll have to check this out. Thanks for the links! :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jen, I thought the archetypes were Jung's character projections of the mind. As far as that relates to MBTI, each function has a character in our conscious and unconscious minds, e.g. the dominant function is the Hero, the auxiliary is the Wise Parent, etc. and that contributes to how we view ourselves and others.

I wasn't sure what the OP was trying to ask for, and I found all the concepts asked for rather 'clumped together' when I was looking around, so I was guessing that the angle I was giving them was the angle they wanted. I might have been wrong, though. Your links should be helpful, if they were looking more for your angle on things. :)