User Tag List

Results 1 to 3 of 3

  1. #1
    Happy Dancer uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,708

    Default Te and Fi synthesis

    In General Relativity, mass-energy causes space-time to curve, space-time causes mass-energy to move differently. Looking at either one alone results in an incomplete picture.

    So it is with Te and Fi. Te causes Fi to change shape, Fi causes Te to move differently.

    What we see is affected by the balance of Te to Fi. If Fi is stronger, then Te moves rather erratically, and Te barely affects Fi. If Te is stronger, Fi can curve almost into a black hole, with no light coming out.

    If they're of comparable strength, then a third qualitatively different case arises. Te can be used to "sculpt" Fi, establish rules, teach Fi core principles to adopt. Fi in turn can be used to steer Te in accordance with the Fi core principles.

    I'd ask for examples of this, but, um, I once started a thread asking what someone balanced in T and F would look like. About 20% of respondents replied "more mature," and variations thereof. The other 80% said, "Like me," or some variation thereof. It turned out to be one of my least productive threads evah.

    This is not to say, though, that in particular situations one is never primarily employing Te aspects of oneself, or primarily employing Fi. But rather it is to say that the lessons learned in Te context can be used to teach Fi, and the lessons learned in Fi context can be used to teach Te.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

  2. #2
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Nice analogy, I really like it. BUT I would argue that Fi is mass-energy and Te is space-time. Thus Fi usually changes shape to Te, and Te is able to channel Fi into what Fi considers meaningful.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  3. #3
    Happy Dancer uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Nice analogy, I really like it. BUT I would argue that Fi is mass-energy and Te is space-time. Thus Fi usually changes shape to Te, and Te is able to channel Fi into what Fi considers meaningful.
    All analogies fail at some level.

    The reasons I chose this mapping rather than your just-as-reasonable alternative is that space-time is that subtle underlying fabric of everything, all mysterious and invisible except for its effect on the world. Mass-energy is the objective, visible world; it is that which is obvious to the beholder. Either way, the point is that they affect each other, which isn't as obvious when one is very dominant. It's a synthesis, not a tail wagging the dog or vice versa.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Similar Threads

  1. Why does Ti always go with Fe and Fi with Te?
    By sofmarhof in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 03:57 PM
  2. People that are strong in Ni,Ti,Te and Ne
    By Virtual ghost in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 02:11 PM
  3. [JCF] Ti/Te and Math
    By Eric B in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 03:27 PM
  4. [NF] Communicating between Fe and Fi
    By heart in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 05-29-2008, 02:51 AM
  5. Masochism and Fi
    By SolitaryWalker in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-23-2007, 05:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO