• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI types for government?

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
Which types do you think would be best for running a government and in which roles?

backatya

Well, I've worked at the federal level for about eight years so I don't think I'm an expert, but I'd have to say that it depends on the department for which you work. Working for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will be different than working for NASA. One is populated mostly by biologists, and the other mostly by engineers. However, I will say that the federal government like many other publicly-funded entities is not as welcoming to very ambitious or enterprising individuals. This may eliminate the "E" types, as well as other types to expect things to happen quickly. I worked for a scientific organization and was surprised at the sometimes complete lack of logic when designing projects, etc. If you are intolerant of inefficiency and downright absurdity as many TJs would be (myself included) then navigating the politics and poor organizational management that you sometimes find in government could make for a very toxic situation. Sometimes efforts seem to be a bit of a farce or "boondoggle". They are not affected directly by market forces, so bad management is often times accepted or even the norm.

Having said that, there are many government organizations that do great work. Again, it really comes down to the department, agency, and even office in which one works. Also, many introverted types may find government to be a safe harbor and even thrive.

Not sure if this is helpful.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Stereotypically, ISTJ. Less F's and SP's I'd say.

My govt time was in science/tech/engineering, lots of IT's, and IJ's and EJ's.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
INTP
^ ^ ^ ^
ENTJ ENTJ ENTJ
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
ISTJ ISTJ ISTJ ISTJ ISTJ ISTJ ISTJ ISTJ ISTJ

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
President ENFJ. (If it were a for-profit corporation I would go with ENTJ, but running a government fairly requires attention to the way people feel and ability to merge disparate perspectives for compromise.)

As for his cabinet, a bunch of INTs with a few INFs thrown in. They can help with the more technical problems and advise the president on what to do, as long as they stay out of the public eye.

Vice President ENFP or ESFP, some kind of sunny face to help keep the public happy and advocate for the government's new ideas, and make the people feel like they have someone in office that they can really relate to.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
INTP
^ ^ ^ ^
ENTJ ENTJ ENTJ
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

How bout this
ENTP
^^^^^
INTP INTP
^^^^^^^^
ESTP ESTP ESTP
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
INTJ INTJ INTJ INTJ INTJ
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ENTJ ENTJ ENTJ ENTJ ENTJ ENTJ
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ESTJ ESTJ ESTJ ESTJ ESTJ ESTJ ESTJ
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TPs top of pyrmaind
SPs enforcer class
FJ public relations
NFPs (? sorry you got to make yourself useful)
TJs Proleteriat
SJs bean counters and pyramind slaves

I don't mind being an INTP's right hand man though:)