User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Agree witht he OP. All the attempts to turn MBTI into something wich explains causes rather than describe symptoms, IMO end up in the realm of metaphysics (i.e. the realm of fail - elegantly worded fail but fail nonetheless).

I guess you could argue that this makes an anti-Jungian and I shouldn't therefore even be on an MBTI forum - but I would counter that I find MBTI has some value in that it helps me predict and manage interactionw ith different personalities, and I don't need to share someone's whole philosophical outlook in order to make use of some of the insights they may throw up.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

POW!

(sorry, I just re-watched some scenes from Step Brothers.)

But yes, it makes perfect sense. Like Keirsey said, "Words and tools. There's nothing else." You can speculate all you want about deep inner meanings if that's fun for you, but the people that try to ascribe a particular Jungian function to every single action someone makes is just silly.

If I see a cloud and say "That cloud looks like a razor blade, which reminds me i need to shave. By the way, did you know that ancient Thessalonians shaved with tree bark?" That's not me "extroverting Ne" or whatever, it's just a statement and some people are hella over-thinking things.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Agree witht he OP. All the attempts to turn MBTI into something wich explains causes rather than describe symptoms, IMO end up in the realm of metaphysics (i.e. the realm of fail - elegantly worded fail but fail nonetheless).
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    I guess you could argue that this makes an anti-Jungian and I shouldn't therefore even be on an MBTI forum - but I would counter that I find MBTI has some value in that it helps me predict and manage interactionw ith different personalities, and I don't need to share someone's whole philosophical outlook in order to make use of some of the insights they may throw up.
    Well I always read the name, "Typology Central" and figured it was up for grabs! You can bring any type theory you want here. Socionics folks drag their confused jumbled mess in here, too! Why can't I make a splash?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    POW!

(sorry, I just re-watched some scenes from Step Brothers.)

But yes, it makes perfect sense. Like Keirsey said, "Words and tools. There's nothing else." You can speculate all you want about deep inner meanings if that's fun for you, but the people that try to ascribe a particular Jungian function to every single action someone makes is just silly.

If I see a cloud and say "That cloud looks like a razor blade, which reminds me i need to shave. By the way, did you know that ancient Thessalonians shaved with tree bark?" That's not me "extroverting Ne" or whatever, it's just a statement and some people are hella over-thinking things.
    Totally.

Hey, Jeffster. I'm going to get checked out tomorrow to figure out the reason for all my fatigue. Do you think it's because I don't have enough Fe in me?
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Quote Originally Posted by stellar renegade View Post
    What's this elusive sense of identity apart from how you act?
    [youtube=PmwLPU5H6_Q]Doooooooooooo[/youtube]

But but but

[youtube=cufk6MMwd5o] [/youtube]

I can't decide which one is true! It's almost like both are right!

Gosh, if only there was a way of categorising and reconciling these two perspectives into some sort of system - one that's able to illustrate not only the similarities, but also the differences, in how we all think and behave
    Hello

MBTI
    ESTP

The ability to act seemingly differently than your own type is also predetermined by your type. For instance, I think my acting somewhat like a little intuitive was determined by my Artisan ability to be extremely adaptable.
    -stellar renegade

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

MBTI
    INFP

It's about how you act.

Get it straight, yo.
    I'm gonna need to see some sourceage.

MBTI
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    I'm gonna need to see some sourceage.
    "Sourceage" would only determine how personality type is defined, of which there are several theories, all different. We have to figure out the most efficient way for it to operate ourselves.
    -stellar renegade

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

MBTI
    INFP

"Sourceage" would only determine how personality type is defined, of which there are several theories, all different. We have to figure out the most efficient way for it to operate ourselves.
    Okay. Given that, you would agree that one's personality changes over the course of their lives?

How about over the course of a day, depending upon one's company or task?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    Gosh, if only there was a way of categorising and reconciling these two perspectives into some sort of system - one that's able to illustrate not only the similarities, but also the differences, in how we all think and behave
    +1 rep, because that's nicely dialectical (even if you don't agree with materialist version of said method :p).
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Why is it called personality type if it's about how people act rather than how they think?

I never understood that about Kiersey. All of his descriptions aren't really about how people think; it's not really "personality."
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)