User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 44

  1. #21
    No Cigar Litvyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,787

    Default

    I can fake ENFP anytime. Anytime. And it makes things much easier. Yet I'm an INTJ.
    People are so fucked up as an adult with bad experiences and a shitload of social pressure that it is impossible to adjudge their "default" behavior, if there is such a thing. The usage of cognitive processes is the primary determining factor.

  2. #22
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I think extraverts are much more inclined to act as exactly who they are, than introverts.

    Extraverts tend to act then think, thereby revealing their true selves. Whereas the introvert thinks and then acts, where they have a chance to decide whether and how they will act. Us devious introverts don't always behave "as we are".
    Very true.

    anyway, to get back directly to the cog functions of MBTI, everything is based on the interaction of (1) how weperceive the world and then (2 how we evaluate abnd possibly respond to those perceptions.

    sorry if self-reporting is inherently a messy business for you, but if you want to be technically accurate, it's not really about 'how you act."

    but i'll agree in general that in the end, if you don't act or quack or look like a duck,you should reconsider whether you are one.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  3. #23
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    I've been told many times that I "think too much". I try to work out problems before I act, but in many cases.. I eventually can't figure anything out... just say "fuck it", take a dive, and act on Feeling. Does that make me driven by F?

  4. #24
    Senior Member mockingbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Wrong. I act like an 8 and think like an ENFP. If anything Enneagram is about how you act. MBTI is clearly all about cognition. Try to type me irl as ENFP if you don't believe me (unless you get to know me reeaaaally well).
    This.
    Both my youngest brother and I are 9s, but I am an INFP and he is an INTP. We act very simillarly, and, to the casual observer, would seem to be two people of one mind. But if you get to know us, our thought patterns are very different. No matter how hard I try, I simply cannot think like and NT.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.
    ~ Groucho Marx

  5. #25
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gigi_xo View Post
    how i act is who i am

    why would you act in a manner separate from how you are?

    as people, isnt how we act a large part, if not a leading role in who we are?
    I disagree... somewhat. We often act in ways uncharacteristic of ourselves because of the situation, because somebody needs to fill a certain role (so we fill it) or because we are pushed beyond our usual limits. Or we refrain from saying something unkind merely because it is true. We can be very, very different people depending upon the context.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stellar renegade View Post
    Exactly.


    The same type can have all kinds of extreme variants, true, but ultimately you're not gonna act apart from the natural flow of your default personality, not if you're fairly developed and mature at least, and usually even if you aren't.
    Natural flow uh? I don't know what that means. God knows though I act and live very differently from most ENFPs I've read about.

    Quote Originally Posted by stellar renegade View Post
    And once again, I don't subscribe to MBTI.:
    That explains all your ESTP typings of fictional characters lol

  7. #27
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    I can fake ENFP anytime. Anytime. And it makes things much easier. Yet I'm an INTJ.
    People are so fucked up as an adult with bad experiences and a shitload of social pressure that it is impossible to adjudge their "default" behavior, if there is such a thing. The usage of cognitive processes is the primary determining factor.
    Yeah probably I would have to agree...

  8. #28
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Are we really surprised that an Se dom sees action as the most fundamental definition of personality...?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  9. #29
    PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I think extraverts are much more inclined to act as exactly who they are, than introverts.

    Extraverts tend to act then think, thereby revealing their true selves. Whereas the introvert thinks and then acts, where they have a chance to decide whether and how they will act. Us devious introverts don't always behave "as we are".
    I don't necessarily think so, because you're still thinking within the framework of your type. Any planning on your part is going to be done within your type's dynamic as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Eyebrows View Post
    What we do is a huge component of who we are--or, at least, our actions reflect our personality--though it's not the whole story.

    It's just the most obvious facet of who we are, and so it's the one that 'shines through' when we look at personality psychology.
    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Sometimes the line is blurred when I think in terms of action. I could probably resemble a hard assed STJ in some ways, depending on mood and threats to safety. Bad drivers endanger me and can aggravate me enough to care about rules.. people who owe me money and don't deliver on the expected date piss me off... I'd appreciate punctuality instead. Because I like money. Not necessarily because I like rules. The gangster kids on my street piss me off in general, because they make my environment dangerous.

    OTOH if things are going well, I'm easy going and less concerned about "violations" or chaotic behavior around me. And that's how I essentially want to be. It's not my fault that some other assholes are provoking different actions. I'd say those actions are mostly uncharacteristic.
    I agree with both of those.

    I know I didn't explain myself well at first but that's just because I was trying to make my point stand out noticeably. Now I can more fully elaborate on what I mean.

    I used to be typed as an INFP, and I seemed to act like an IXFP. So this must mean one of two things:

    1) Either I believe that a person's type can change over the years, or
    2) I believe that typing someone is pretty relative and you have to look at their life as a whole

    You can't just take a few actions, or a few years, of someone's life and abstract them away or focus on them solely to determine their type. Or if you do, you have to be open to being wrong. People are going to change. But what changes is their character, not their inward nature.

    BUT - most of the time, in most places, people WILL act like their inward nature, or in other words, how their brain is wired. I do believe though that there's a possibility your type can change in slight ways or with some rewiring in bigger ways (though it can be debated to what extent this could actually happen or how authentic the change would be).

    And now you might say, "But it sounds like you're saying that personality type IS who you are, with all this talk about an inward nature!"

    :1377: Nope, because who I am is something way more unique and distinct than that. I can't be the same person as 600 million others. My type doesn't determine WHO I AM, because I am a complex individual just like everybody else and nobody can really explain me fully. I've noticed this, what with all my eccentricities and how I don't even fit neatly within one type 100% of the time.

    So the conclusion is that type doesn't really describe who YOU ARE, just how you as a person is expressed to the world outside. It doesn't dictate your morality, for instance. Idealists aren't necessarily anymore moral or loving than others. Hitler was an Idealist. Rationals aren't necessarily anymore unbiased or clear-headed than others. Some of them are so jumbled up in their complicated thought patterns that they don't make any sense.

    Love and morality come through humbly accepting your interdependence, and truth comes though learning in humility.

    The difference is, Idealists strive to be connected or find meaning, and Rationals strive to understand the world.

    Make sense now?
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!


    Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

  10. #30
    PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    Another caveat: I am a very spiritual person. You can't tell me I'm not by looking at my type. But my spirituality is expressed on much different terms. I'm not able to use intuition to guide me. I'm guided by instinct. I can see through circumstances (observation) that I'm being taken care of. Also, whenever I met with a group of like-minded people to worship, I would usually be the one banging the drum and sometimes dancing or singing loudly, and I got alot out of it. Yes, I did experience a presence but normally I didn't get pictures in my head like others frequently did and my mind wasn't racing but calm and focused on surroundings.

    Does that make me any less spiritual? I'm still who I am, a spiritual animal, but it's just expressed differently because of my type. It just changes how I act, not WHO I AM.

    Get it?
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!


    Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 115
    Last Post: 07-13-2017, 02:36 AM
  2. Is Your Personality Fixed, Or Can You Change Who You Are?
    By Vasilisa in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-02-2016, 12:25 AM
  3. [NF] Being FiNe with who you are
    By William K in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 12-31-2009, 09:31 PM
  4. Post the song(s) that best describe who you are
    By CzeCze in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 05-24-2009, 09:54 PM
  5. Replies: 170
    Last Post: 11-09-2008, 01:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO