User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 40

  1. #1
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default Pairing up types.

    Okay so perhaps I'm nagging about this now but as different thinking occurs I post different things....

    Right, an INTP who is forced to sort something out will engage parts of their shadow. It seems to me that in such a situation an INTPs thinking will closely match that of an ENTJ (if they can handle the situation).

    An ENTP being definitive is very similar to an INTJ and an INTJ who is trying to be spontaneous with people is more ENTP.

    I'm wondering what people think about such crude pairings.

    My theory fits this model but I'm not sure if anyone else can see it or if there's other theories which are similar.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  2. #2

    Default

    Hmm.. from my experience..yes. Especially, with the ENTP-INTJ pairing. I think I tend to slide back and forth. <if there's such a thing >

    I haven't studied MBTI that much but I think the pairings you made may be possible. I've been getting a lot of ENTJ in my results these days tho..

    I'm interested in your theory. Let's see if I ever slip into INTP mode...

  3. #3
    Wannabe genius Splittet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    632

    Default

    There is kind of a identical theory, yes. It says the best fit type, is the type with opposite direction on it's dominant function. If you are Ni dominant (INTJ and INFJ), your best fit type is Ne dominant (ENTP and ENFP), if you are Fe dominant (ENFJ and ESFJ), your best fit type is Fi dominant (INFP and ISFP) and so on...

  4. #4
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bai_lin83 View Post
    Hmm.. from my experience..yes. Especially, with the ENTP-INTJ pairing. I think I tend to slide back and forth. <if there's such a thing >

    I haven't studied MBTI that much but I think the pairings you made may be possible. I've been getting a lot of ENTJ in my results these days tho..

    I'm interested in your theory. Let's see if I ever slip into INTP mode...
    If you do then may I suggest a name change? How's about soap
    Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    There is kind of a identical theory, yes. It says the best fit type, is the type with opposite direction on it's dominant function. If you are Ni dominant (INTJ and INFJ), your best fit type is Ne dominant (ENTP and ENFP), if you are Fe dominant (ENFJ and ESFJ), your best fit type is Fi dominant (INFP and ISFP) and so on...
    But none regarding the pairing within a person? Perhaps it has to do with admiring things from the other type I'm not sure.

    The whole thing started off with a conversation about development for INTPs, me specifically. Now it came up in that conversation that I, and other INTPs, would benefit from looking at the ENTJ thought processes more. After that discussion I was talking to Wildcat and we were going through function order (again) and I noted the pattern of INTP to ENTJ to ESFJ. Whaddya know it fits.

    Then of course came the debacle of typing my ENTP friend, he acts quite INTJ. Then there's the INTJ I know who's very much the smartass as long as he's not tired. Studying the model I found it was there again. Now I'm just trying to expand on this and see if it works in a more universal environment.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  5. #5
    The Black Knight Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni
    Posts
    11,443

    Default

    I've been mistaken by others for an ENTJ, INFJ, INTJ and (by other Sensers) ESTP. Very schizophrenic, but I can't explain it any better.

    This just reinforces the feeling that my ENFJ isn't really a personality and is more like a catch-all drawer for weird free-ranging traits. Some of them don't even seem to go together!

    So you go into ENTJ mode do you? Just under pressure?
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

  6. #6
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Okay so perhaps I'm nagging about this now but as different thinking occurs I post different things....

    Right, an INTP who is forced to sort something out will engage parts of their shadow. It seems to me that in such a situation an INTPs thinking will closely match that of an ENTJ (if they can handle the situation).

    An ENTP being definitive is very similar to an INTJ and an INTJ who is trying to be spontaneous with people is more ENTP.

    I'm wondering what people think about such crude pairings.

    My theory fits this model but I'm not sure if anyone else can see it or if there's other theories which are similar.
    I see what you're saying... that the opposite orientation of the dominant should theoretically be easy to engage. Ne seems to be relatively usable for me in some situations, but still not as easy as Ni. The problem is that I know many INTP's who can't really use Te well at all, yet some of them claim they can use Ni. (I have no way to test any of this, because they can always take advantage of an ambiguity in description, or a tendency in a test, to make what they're saying seem valid. There's nothing I can use to dispel it, even if I don't really agree with it.) Also, I've seen INTP's who seem to act more like ENTP's when they interact with others, and even a few who behave like really weird, clingy, and issue-circumventing xSFJ's (this can seem really sad, sweet, or irritating depending on my mood.)

    What makes you say ENTJ rather than ENTP, INTJ, or even xSFJ? Just curious.

  7. #7
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    There is kind of a identical theory, yes. It says the best fit type, is the type with opposite direction on it's dominant function. If you are Ni dominant (INTJ and INFJ), your best fit type is Ne dominant (ENTP and ENFP), if you are Fe dominant (ENFJ and ESFJ), your best fit type is Fi dominant (INFP and ISFP) and so on...
    Gawd no! After dating an INTJ I'm at about my ends with the whole type. Fe, Ti vs. Te, Fi is a recipe for disaster. I don't know how Jen does it. It was like pairing a spiritualist with a scientist. You both may be using the same dominant function, but the way you use it is completely opposite of each other. And that whole "opposites attract" thing is great in the beginning, but it falls apart once you realize how differently you interpret the world.

  8. #8
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    When I'm enjoying myself (and not having some quiet discussion) with friends, the type I most resemble is ENTP.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  9. #9
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I've been mistaken by others for an ENTJ, INFJ, INTJ and (by other Sensers) ESTP. Very schizophrenic, but I can't explain it any better.
    Hmm schizophrenic type. Oooo you could have a new one there

    Personally I think you'd be difficult to type. Rampant intelligence unfocused. Kinda like my sister. I'm not sure how it works but I think with ENFJs they pick up so much from delving around in other's heads and problems that they possibly pick up a little of everything.

    Perhaps by understanding others you are able to emulate or sythesise some of those facets yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    This just reinforces the feeling that my ENFJ isn't really a personality and is more like a catch-all drawer for weird free-ranging traits. Some of them don't even seem to go together!
    Nah. You're just a wierd free ranging ENFJ

    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    So you go into ENTJ mode do you? Just under pressure?
    Not pressure so much just when I feel (look I said feel !!!) that stuff needs sorting I engage a more commanding role and take over. At those points I'm kinda manifesting ENTJ. I produce plans which solve all the problems and work out in an orderly manner A-Z through all opposition.

    I'm not sure it's fully ENTJ but it matches the description of the planning and problem solving part of ENTJ just with an INTP advisor hanging over their shoulders.
    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I see what you're saying... that the opposite orientation of the dominant should theoretically be easy to engage. Ne seems to be relatively usable for me in some situations, but still not as easy as Ni. The problem is that I know many INTP's who can't really use Te well at all, yet some of them claim they can use Ni. (I have no way to test any of this, because they can always take advantage of an ambiguity in description, or a tendency in a test, to make what they're saying seem valid. There's nothing I can use to dispel it, even if I don't really agree with it.) Also, I've seen INTP's who seem to act more like ENTP's when they interact with others, and even a few who behave like really weird, clingy, and issue-circumventing xSFJ's (this can seem really sad, sweet, or irritating depending on my mood.)
    Would that be the ESFJ shadow? See I've recently been noticing more and more the latent F in many INTPs actions. Yes the whole claim of objective logic is there but the F is hidden beneath unnoticed by the person doing it.

    Oh and like any type pointing out the shadow is never a good thing
    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    What makes you say ENTJ rather than ENTP, INTJ, or even xSFJ? Just curious.
    Well I was aware of the ability to plan and such but when discussing the MBTI with my fatehr he was describing the whole healthy ENTJ mindset. It matched what I observed of what I was doing and as the discussion turned to this he said himself that it's good progression for INTPs to learn things from ENTJs (him being an ENTJ may have something to do with that though ). When I was analysing the functions with Wildcat the pattern was kinda obvious.

    As for 'why not another type' well the only other with similar styling is the INTJ but I disagree with my friends style of problem solving (the problem in isolation to the human factor) and so thus far I've plumped for ENTJ. That was one point of the thread. It'd be nice to find out others experiences to see if they think the pattern works or if not why not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    When I'm enjoying myself (and not having some quiet discussion) with friends, the type I most resemble is ENTP.
    Now if I remember rightly you are an INTJ are you not?
    (memory being one of those things I've not found any way to get better at yet )
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  10. #10
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    It's very possible for an introvert who became more focus on the external world to resemble an E... at least temporary. Using the auxillary function more would make an INTP seem more like an ENTP. Although in my case I tend to prefer Ne over Fe when forcing myself to notice my surroundings. I've never been that strong of a J though, so perhaps your pattern can still hold true. At least for people who aren't borderline...

Similar Threads

  1. Sum up each type into a few sentences or words
    By KarenParker in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 07:25 AM
  2. If you were to "dress up" as a MBTI type for halloween
    By swordpath in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-11-2008, 07:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO