User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Default Drastic mistyping: what's the greatest "change in type" you've seen?

Anyone who frequents MBTI forums sees people questioning their type and on occasion changing their type. Usually it's something simple, like INTJ to INFJ, or ISTJ to ESTJ. Simple, one-letter changes, as one gradually adjusts one's self understanding.

But what about the big changes? I've seen a few, with a brief summary of reasons.

INTJ to ENTP - better understanding of MBTI
    ISFP to INTP - rather young in the first place
    ENFJ to INTJ - optimistic person who went through difficult trials

What kind of type changes have you seen? And what do you think the reasons were?

How much is lack of understanding? How much is that one really hasn't faced a real trial in life? How much is it just that MBTI is a pseudo-science and cannot be used with precision?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

ISFJ to ENTP

Significant life changes, alongside an academic shift of focus in college -- his entire outlook and depth of approach was configured.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

ESFP to ISTJ... maturity did it!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

An ISTP mis-typing as an INTP is common... Spending a little time at INTP Central got me to my "sensor" real quick.

Then there was yesterday meeting with a small group of three for the first time. It made me feel like the only extrovert in the room. Their talk time 3 minutes while mine went for 21 minutes.

Couldn't stand the silence or lack of their responsiveness to my attempts at including them in the conversation. So I talked and talked and talked.

Reminded myself ISTP's are typically the most social of introverts. So no real E there.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

How's about you, uumlau?

Any particular rationale you observed?

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

i think it's probably mostly the pseudo science part... i think more like that as i've been here for a while...

i think i've gone gradually from INTP to iNTP to INtP to INFP to INfP... i'm not sure about childhood, that's just from when i've been testing.

i still think i switch between Ti and Te and Fi and Fe.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    How's about you, uumlau?

Any particular rationale you observed?
    I think the standard MBTI tests are pretty much a "best guess." The reasons for changes are numerous.

For me, the most surprising change is E to I or vice versa: it's usually really easy to tell whether one is introverted or extroverted. Also, it really doesn't make a difference which it is, especially if it's close to balanced.

Similarly for J/P, as long as you don't score near the middle, it's fairly solid and unchangeable.

T/F is fairly easy to switch, because people think "F" means "emotional" and "T" means "intellectual." Also, it's fairly easily affected by a time of crisis: some times in our lives, we abandon are natural inclination, because we feel betrayed by it, and throw ourselves into the other. I've seen many reluctant Fs become INTJ after realizing "but I have FEELINGS" doesn't say anything about how you process feelings, and reluctant Ts become INFJ after realizing that for most matters, they judge things subjectively and personally, even though they're extremely smart and inclined toward math/computers/science.

N/S is mostly inscrutable. It's a concept you either "get" or you don't.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    I think the standard MBTI tests are pretty much a "best guess." The reasons for changes are numerous.

For me, the most surprising change is E to I or vice versa: it's usually really easy to tell whether one is introverted or extroverted. Also, it really doesn't make a difference which it is, especially if it's close to balanced.

Similarly for J/P, as long as you don't score near the middle, it's fairly solid and unchangeable.

T/F is fairly easy to switch, because people think "F" means "emotional" and "T" means "intellectual." Also, it's fairly easily affected by a time of crisis: some times in our lives, we abandon are natural inclination, because we feel betrayed by it, and throw ourselves into the other. I've seen many reluctant Fs become INTJ after realizing "but I have FEELINGS" doesn't say anything about how you process feelings, and reluctant Ts become INFJ after realizing that for most matters, they judge things subjectively and personally, even though they're extremely smart and inclined toward math/computers/science.

Agreed, with particular emphasis on certain 'stigmatizing' elements of classification. Some Ps misconstrue aspects of their organizational behavior and presume a sense of duty and goal-seeking is necessarily restricted to a J. Conversely, Js who are, say, suspicious of authority or dislike leading others can misrepresent their decisions as indicative of their P counterpart.

Depending on the layout of the test (as well as administration style - proctor v. self-evaluation), there is additional opportunity for mistaken diagnosis. Familiarity with the MBTI can negatively influence final outcome, as certain 'key' words or phrases are illuminated above others (words like 'abstract' or 'analytical' or 'empathy), so semantic structure is an important consideration as well.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm still sort of amazed at my FiL's original score. He's textbook ISTJ, even by people who don't know a ton about MBTI, and worked as an engineer his entire career... but when he self-scored the test for his workplace, he came out ENFJ.

The counselor worked with him on the re-test... ISTJ.

There's just a lot of reasons someone can get confused when self-scoring a test like this.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post

I understand the N/S divide, I even recognize that I use Ne plenty, I just use Se a bit more

It's hard to describe that to people though... even if you recognize the sensing characteristics in someone who's claiming to be an N "because it seems to fit and they don't seem to fit into society" it's not like they'd care to be informed of it... too many people seem to see the functions as a dichotomy- you're either one or the other, on or off... I think that you're right on that attitude causing a lot of people to end up mistyping themselves
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett