User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

I wonder, has INFP been a transition type to any other members?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Biggest change I've seen is a stressed self claimed INTJ changed after de-stressing to ESFP.

Ginkgo

I think that there are so many competing theories about typology and so many misconceptions about the practice that makes it difficult for people to discern what type they are. It's not necessarily that people's types are changing, it's that their opinions about their types are changing because they find faulty descriptions on these forums and elsewhere. For instance, an INFP might see a behavior pattern about an INTP, INTJ, or another type, and then jump to the conclusion that he/she must be that type.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    It's like the "Misc/Uncategorized" bin
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    It's like the "Misc/Uncategorized" bin

Personally I am just relieved I got rid of the emotional mess I couldn't deal with. I wasn't a very successful INFP.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I would say Stevie Wonder. Everyone looks at hm now and insists INFJ, but when he was younger, he really seemed like an ISTP. I mean; would an Ni dominant have a top hit whose refrain is "when you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer"?
    He always sang about "love", but was not quite as "feely" as later on. He didn't even sing about 'peace" as much! He seemed very concrete and logical.

37 years ago, he was in an accident where a log hit him in the right side of the head. (we almost lost him!) That seems to be when he started to become more "love/peace" focused, and "spiritual". He has mentioned in biographies how that had an impact on him. (naturally).
    It is then he tried to settle down more, and produced albums and went on tours less.
    In the brief period of his artistic independence before the accident, most of his songs were about his broken and new relationships, political awareness and, also the mind moreso than just general appeals to "love and peace" or "spirituality". A lot of us diehard fans actually liked those earlier messages better. It was more indepth. For instance; it's one thing to just sing about "peace"; and yet another to directly address what's wrong in politics. The latter is what he tended to do more earlier.

However, as far as type, the right brain ISTP's closest left-brain counterpart is INFJ! (TiSeNiFe--> NiFeTiSe). So that change would make sense.

I've asked Lenore Thomson about this, since the neurological angle is her specialty, so I'm waiting to see her take on it.

Otherwise, I don't hold to types really changing. Behaviors can change, though.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    In the brief period of his artistic independence before the accident, most of his songs were about his broken and new relationships, political awareness and, also the mind moreso than just general appeals to "love and peace" or "spirituality". A lot of us diehard fans actually liked those earlier messages better. It was more indepth. For instance; it's one thing to just sing about "peace"; and yet another to directly address what's wrong in politics. The latter is what he tended to do more earlier.

However, as far as type, the right brain ISTP's closest left-brain counterpart is INFJ! (TiSeNiFe--> NiFeTiSe). So that change would make sense.

Otherwise, I don't hold to types really changing. Behaviors can change, though.
    Interesting. INFP->ISTJ would make a similar pair. But doesn't the change in thinking also change your type? In order to effectively change your behavior, you have to change your thinking first.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    9, 5
    Socionics
    INTj

Yes, when I went through a hermit-like depression, due to a certain stimuli named John-I tested as INFP, for about a year. Now that I feel more confident, less second guessing, and more eager for knowledge, I tested several times in the past 2 months as INTP-although N and S have come up twice as 50%.
    I related to the INFP wholly, at that time, and read a lot about them, so I hold them close to my heart.
    When this period dissipated, I knew something had changed, so I revisted the testing, and I claim INTP. I have always taken the tests very seriously and thoroughly, so I know it was no misinterpretation. I am the absent-minded professor, through and through.
    What is normal to one, is incomprehensible to another.

ALL anger in this world stems from a lack of control.

All of reality bows to the illusion of life and death.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Interesting. INFP->ISTJ would make a similar pair. But doesn't the change in thinking also change your type? In order to effectively change your behavior, you have to change your thinking first.
    Well what I'm suggesting is a special case where the one side of the brain suffers trauma, so then the other side becomes more active, appearing to change the type. I don't really think the type changed; just a shift in the functions, with the J-like Ni and Fe increasing.

This I would say would be the closest sort of thing to a type changing, rather than someone willfully trying to change it by thinking or behaving differently.
    Last edited by Eric B; 06-30-2010 at 08:36 AM.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

i think drugs, puberty, and abuse altered my behavior for awhile. spiritual ideas/generally getting my head on straight kind of set back to how i was before that.