• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help figuring out your type?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
false advertising. tisk tisk.

ah, thanks ivy. i will read up on ISFP.

you can move my blog wherever you want, Ivy.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
cutthegrass, I think you're ISFP. You have that SP vibe about you. The ISFP's dominant function is Fi, which I've seen a lot of in your posts, and the auxiliary is Se, which I've also seen a lot of in your posts. At first I thought you were ESFP but I get less E from you these days, and plus the ESFP is Se/Fi rather than Fi/Se. It's a toughie but I think the Fi takes it.

I'd doubt that. She has an intense drive for self-mastery and is very open to esoteric ideas. That screams NT. Though she is not as analytical as primary thinkers, so right now I am guessing that she is either an ENTP or an INTJ. Probably an ENTP though.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
i've tested as ENTP, INTJ, and INTP only. just for the record. mostly INTP, but i just don't seem like the rest of them.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
it circles back to the Ti and Ne functions and it might be helpful for me to look at them again. in general i like to look at how the various components play together - looking at individual pieces never really tells the whole story. i am mostly interested in how conflicting items relate and interact. that said, i need to refamiliarize myself with the building blocks.

Yes, it is difficult to see the big picture just by looking at these individual pieces. This is something else that you might want to think about.

Our functions tend to grow in this order.

Ti
Ne
Te
Ni
Si
Se
Fe
Fi

By the time we're 20 we should be good with Ti and Ne and our Si will begin to flourish in the next decade. Simultaneously, we will be comfortable with our Ti and wont need to focus on it exclusively as we did when we were younger, we then will shift more focus onto the Ne. So some of us will actually be confused about why we act so ENTPish yet are not extroverted enough to call ourselves ENTPs. 30-40, then it will feel like our Si gets more of a say than the Ne, but the reality of it is that Ne is more firmly grounded in our psyche, this is just a short period of time in our lives when Si is getting slightly more attention, but it will never outgrow a function that is superior in rank to it. Though once again, in the big picture we have a conflict of the Ti and Ne. Two very different, yet not antithetical to each other functions. The Ti should clearly receive more attention, but not too much, as cultivating the Ne is the only way for us to grow, namely through finding a healthy balance. Untill we do this, we will be getting torn between the need to isolate ourselves (which will then force us to repress the Ne needs) and it will come out backwards onto us where we will hardly have a choice but then fall slave to the passions about how we should be this larger than life, restless force.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i've tested as ENTP, INTJ, and INTP only. just for the record. mostly INTP, but i just don't seem like the rest of them.

Your approach is very unstructured indeed as you asked me to set up the table for you. You dont seem systematic enough of a thinker to be an INTP. And you seem to have many doubts about yourself and your knowledge, more so than an average INTP would. This is very common for a primary Ne as Ne is all about what could be and not what is. Hence ENTPs can be very sensitive to criticism because of this. Their Ne foundation of the self-concept can be very very shaky because the Ne entertains too many possibilities... even those that are ridiculous...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
false advertising. tisk tisk.
ah, thanks ivy. i will read up on ISFP.
you can move my blog wherever you want, Ivy.

No blog moving yet, dear. :)

You don't read like ENTP. I'm more interested in a holistic approach, rather than trying to discern a particular function such as Ivy or SW seem to be doing. (I'm much more inclined towards Ivy, though.)

I'm also well-aware of inherent bias -- for example, I'm not quite sure what an 18-year-old female looks like in different types. There are a few female INTPs here who are your age (such as Varelse) and I -know- you don't "look like them" in terms of psych profile... but I don't have many other points of comparison.

So far I've seen flip-flopped thinking -- sometimes you have skated on the surface like typical ESFJs, but at other times have shown a harder more iconoclast side.

Wish I could just bamf you here for five minutes or watch you around your peers / parents / and otherwise for a few minutes, it would give me a much better idea.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

You don't read like ENTP. I'm more interested in a holistic approach, rather than trying to discern a particular function such as Ivy or SW seem to be doing. (I'm much more inclined towards Ivy, though.)

I'm also well-aware of inherent bias -- for example, I'm not quite sure what an 18-year-old female looks like in different types. There are a few female INTPs here who are your age (such as Varelse) and I -know- you don't "look like them" in terms of psych profile... but I don't have many other points of comparison.

So far I've seen flip-flopped thinking -- sometimes you have skated on the surface like typical ESFJs, but at other times have shown a harder more iconoclast side.

Wish I could just bamf you here for five minutes or watch you around your peers / parents / and otherwise for a few minutes, it would give me a much better idea.

Once more, our information here is still insufficient to pass a reliable assessment.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP

i am a recluse. i have superior social skills in public and with strangers. i am very warm with my friends, but don't talk too much. i live inside my head. i am extremely confident and assertive. i live to debate and discuss why. i am far from the type of bubbly person that waves hello to people. i am low key

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
SW, this could be a very bad idea you know. For one I think your enneagram - MBTI relationship is flawed.

The Te - 8 I can see, the one that marked that lot out for attention was the 9.

Yes I know that 9s are defined as negotiators and calming etc etc but that does not necesarily indicate the presence of F. I'm fairly confident that I am a 9 (the tests back this up) and that I use Ti for most of it and Te for the final part.

If you analyse any system of variables and fixed parts then there are natural torque points. The same exists within situations involving people and emotions etc. All I do is analyse until I see them and then try to come up with a solution to suit all of them. After that you just tweak the situation and the people in accordance with your plan. Now that's definately more Ti than Fi.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I shan't be moving any blogs. Your blog goes where you genuinely self-identify. We're not in the business of prescribing types here!

I went from a holistic "feely" temperament thing (SP) to looking at the function orders to figure out which SP I think CTG seems most like to me.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
SW, this could be a very bad idea you know. For one I think your enneagram - MBTI relationship is flawed.

The Te - 8 I can see, the one that marked that lot out for attention was the 9.

Yes I know that 9s are defined as negotiators and calming etc etc but that does not necesarily indicate the presence of F. I'm fairly confident that I am a 9 (the tests back this up) and that I use Ti for most of it and Te for the final part.

If you analyse any system of variables and fixed parts then there are natural torque points. The same exists within situations involving people and emotions etc. All I do is analyse until I see them and then try to come up with a solution to suit all of them. After that you just tweak the situation and the people in accordance with your plan. Now that's definately more Ti than Fi.

9s tend to be peaceful negotiators. I associate this with Ne seeing the big picture and Fi, trying to find a sense of inner peace. INTPs could be 9s for the same reason as Fis--introverted judgment's demand for inner peace. Though Fis tend to need it more than Tis.

Toonia once alluded to the INTP 5 and 9 distinction and how both of those types are quite common yet could be difficult to distinguish one another from.

Its mostly due to the choices that they make. Not all INTPs chose to focus on intellectual enterprises. Those who do not oftenly become 9s on Ennegram.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
:popc1: Can this be a case of over analysis? We have yet to establish a firm link between E/I and J/P with the positioning of functions. Judging from her blog, Cut the grass appears to be more introverted than extraverted. Yet as you mentioned, Ti doesn't seem to be dominant. So is she an in-between? Forcing her into one of INTP/ENTP might not show her true nature...

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
I'm next . . . I'm next! I want to be next! Pick me! :party2:

(Shut up Xander. You're harsh'n my mellow.)

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:popc1: Can this be a case of over analysis? We have yet to establish a firm link between E/I and J/P with the positioning of functions. Judging from her blog, Cut the grass appears to be more introverted than extraverted. Yet as you mentioned, Ti doesn't seem to be dominant. So is she an in-between? Forcing her into one of INTP/ENTP might not show her true nature...

Noone is forcing her into anything. I am just trying to see if the Ne is dominant over the Ti... which it seems to be....

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Noone is forcing her into anything. I am just trying to see if the Ne is dominant over the Ti... which it seems to be....

But how do you argue against I/E preference? She is very clearly an introvert.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
But how do you argue against I/E preference? She is very clearly an introvert.

If I see an Ne ... than extroversion follows... her introversion is less than manifest at this point. Yet again, I could have easily mistaken the Ne for the Ni not strongly influenced by the Te. As iNtuitions their are identical, its just a matter of figuring out what way they are facing.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
so i am an INTP!

You're going to have to be more specific with your concerns... otherwise I dont know what to tell you... though your massive ambivalence in this thread suggests a primary Ne(ENTP) rather secondary (INTP)