• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

About primary and secondary functions in combination

Kita

Hey,

I have a question. I have been confused about this for some time.

I was wondering about opposites.
In the main four letters I/E S/N T/F P/J I gather that I is opposite to E, and N to T and so forth.

However, looking at INTP and INTJ to illustrate my question,
INTP has Ti Ne.
INTJ has Ni Te.

1. Would Ti be polar opposite to Ni, and Te to Ne?
2. Or would Ti be opposite to Te, and Ni to Ne?

I am asking this in a particular context, namely, if the first answer is correct, it would be impossible for a generally INTP personality to have Ti and first and Ni as second. Likewise, it would be impossible for a generally INTJ personality to have Ni first, and Ti second.

Thus my final qestion: is it possible to be an INTP with dominant functions Ti and Ni, or likewise an INTJ with dominant functions Ni and Te?

(I am using INTP and INTJ as example, but am asking the question to cover all lettercode pairs with only the end letter different. )

Thanking you.

Qre:us

I was wondering about opposites.
In the main four letters I/E S/N T/F P/J I gather that I is opposite to E, and N to T and so forth.

If I is the opposite to E, given the four letter distinction, then N is opposite to S, not T. T is opposite to F, and P is opposite to J.

However, looking at INTP and INTJ to illustrate my question,
INTP has Ti Ne.
INTJ has Ni Te.

Correct.

1. Would Ti be polar opposite to Ni, and Te to Ne?
2. Or would Ti be opposite to Te, and Ni to Ne?

N/S are the perceiving functions, it's how we gather information.

T/F are the judging functions, it's how we process the information gathered to make decisions.

So, if the perceiving function is introverted (e.g., Ni - "i" denoting introverted [intuition]), then the judging function is extraverted (e.g., Te - "e" denoting extraverted [thinking]).

This is why INTP and INTJ both being I, introverted, have their dominant function as introverted. INTP with Ti, and INTJ with Ni.

Which would mean that their next function will have to be extraverted, so INTP then has TiNe, and INTJ then has NiTe.

So, Ti is not opposite to Ni, as one is a judging function and the other is a perceiving function. Totally different realms.
Ti is "opposite" to Te in that both are judging functions, and both are the thinking function, but Ti is introverted [subjective] thinking, while Te is extraverted [objective] thinking.

Ni is "opposite" to Ne in that both are judging functions, and both are intuition, but Ni is introverted [subjective] intuition, while Ne is extraverted [objective] intuition.

Thus my final qestion: is it possible to be an INTP with dominant functions Ti and Ni, or likewise an INTJ with dominant functions Ni and Te?

Well, generally, there is only ONE dominant function, ONE auxillary function (2nd position), ONE tertiary (3rd position) and so on....

So, if there is a person with Ni and Ti in their top three functions, they'd most likely be INFJ (NiFeTiSe).

There are a lot of online links that explain this well, but, I don't have them handy right now, maybe others can direct you.

Kita

Thanks,

I am one step further to understanding at least.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i didnt read everything that Qre wrote but, intp sees outer world intuitively(big picture kind of way) and judges if something is logical/correct inside his head. intj judges if something is correct/logical in the outer world while taking already proved true info in and has intuitive realization from this already proved true or false information inside his head.

atleast this is how i understand it