failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Curious: I've noted the same thing. INFJs in real life seem to like me very well, even though we approach things with slightly different priorities. Online, the tertiary Ti seems to kick in and not a few are easily offended by remarks that were never intended to insult. I don't get this "easily offended" vibe from all online INFJs, just a few.

As for affinities, in no particular order ...

No real affinity for INTJ - I understand them very very well, but there's not much to make a connection with, which is what you get when two anti-social people try to be social. However, when I click with an INTJ, it really clicks until we get bored of each other.

High affinity for xNFP - They shine so brightly, even if the world is somewhat less orderly after they pass by.

I'm also rather partial to xSFP - Genuinely warm, often good dancers.

xNFJ - I like and respect, especially in real life. I always feel welcome in their presence, and many such people seem drawn to me. Online, as I mentioned above, some self-declared xNFJs seem to be a bit pricklier. I believe my Mom was INFJ.

xNTP - very cool and fun to talk with, especially in real life. Not so fun to work with, and online conversations get muddled.

ENTJ - I understand 'em but it's kind of like INTJs, I usually don't want to spend time being buddy-buddy with 'em. Kind of the opposite of xNTPs - great to work with, as communications are always clear, but not so fun to shoot the breeze with.

ESTJ - Not as bad as you might think (from an intuitive's perspective)

ESTP - Also not as bad as you might think. *waves at Whatever*

ISTJ - I usually mistake these folks for INTJ, until I'm exposed long enough to get the underlying S vibe.

ISFJ - the real life ones I know of are sweet, but I don't have a good sample size.

ESFJ - I married one, and am now divorced. I don't dislike her, and I truly did love her, but in spite of very similar values and interests, communication difficulties killed it.

ISTP - fairly cool online, remarkably annoying in real life (at least the ones I know); no good way to resolve disagreements.

I shall now close with a disclaimer: type has nothing to do with whether you like people. It really doesn't. We like people for other reasons. Type comes into play as people get closer, and communications are trickier, less formalized. MBTI types can help you work around the communication difficulties if you let it, and you are the one who decides to adapt to the other's mode(s) of communication. And it doesn't matter if you have an ideal match, like ENFP with INTJ: you won't necessarily like each other, you won't necessarily share any interests, you won't necessarily understand each other. Rather, if you like each other, the MBTI types will help guide your understanding of each other.

I really like how you described your preferences. And I like your final distinction about how mbti helps you work through communication difficulties. I've definitely found that to be true, more than any sort of discrimination. In fact, if new friends or family don't subscribe to the MBTI thing, I sort-of get bummed because I know that they won't quite know my nuances, or understand them, nor appreciate how well I know them, like they might if they understood personality typing.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INFx

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    High affinity for xNFP - They shine so brightly, even if the world is somewhat less orderly after they pass by.
    I really like that, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    what else are you supposed to call people who discriminate on the basis of type?
    Monkey butts.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    16 ENTP
    LMAo. jaguar your funny LOL

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    I sort-of get bummed because I know that they won't quite know my nuances, or understand them, nor appreciate how well I know them, like they might if they understood personality typing.
    Love that line.

I don't use it much socially, but since I'm the MBTI geek at work, I get a lot of flack because I take it further than that test they administer to everyone.

So they laugh, but I'm the one who sees the ENTP's 'randomness' as more ideas ability, less as him being a freak, or spacey.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    INTJ
    INTJ
    INTJ
    INTJ
    INTJ
    INTJ
    INTJ
    INTJ
    INTJ
    INTJ
    INTJ

XNTJ
    ENTJ
    INTX
    INTP
    ISTJ
    Wow, what a great illustration of Ni's penchant for exploring and accumulating a diverse array of perspectives...:rolli:

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    16 ENTP
    I think the model governing this thread lists the types in descending order, from most preferable to least preferable, not ascending order from least preferable to most preferable. I'll overlook your negligent error though...just this once.

What Quinlan says:
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I took "resonate" to mean when I'm reading a post or whatever and I'm thinking to myself "yeah they really get it!" ("it" being some obscure indefinable something), it's a vibe, like you're on the same wavelength.
    That's...useful, but still not specific enough for me. There are, of course, different kinds of being on "the same wavelength."

For example, I just finished a project with an INTP female, "Y". She was extraordinarily kind & generous to me--in my experience, INTP women usually and inexplicably treat me wonderfully--and we got along swimmingly, with me appreciating her level-headedness & work ethic, and she amused by my chronic insouciance & irreverence...Great person. Love her to death. Probably a LT friend. No romantic attraction at all.

Yesterday I received a scathingly funny email from an INTJ female I know, "F," a dear friend I had a fling with way back when. Interactions with her are far more charged, in every sense of the word. For good and for bad. Our rapport is more fickle and our interactions more precarious, yet I feel infinitely more alive in her presence...

FWIW, If I had to generalize, very broadly, I find I generally "resonate" most easily with iNtuitives whose extroverted function is N or T and with whom I differ on at least one letter...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w? sp/sx

INTP
    INXX
    INTJ
    INFP
    INFJ
    ENTP

And everyone else iz phail.
    "A spill at the plant increased the phosphates in the lake and produced a scum of algae so thick that the swamp smell filled the air, infiltrating the genteel mansions. Debutantes cried over the misfortune of coming out in a season everyone would remember for its bad smell."

I don't resonate with types. I resonate with people. Some people. Sometimes.

Like uumlau said, type may be a helpful tool, in a specific context, for communication, perception or understanding. Type plays a role in how one's mind matrix is constructed, which may include what information is discarted or stored, and why, based on an interaction between the existing content in the mind and the new information being processed by the type engine.

It may be helpful on becoming more insightful of the drive or bias, in ourselves and in other people. It may even go as far as enabling us to revise our existing perceptions of the world, and rebuild some or all of our mind matrix.

In all, the amount of resonance between two people will depend on the amount of existing synergy, either for conscious/unconscious and/or biased/unbiased reasons.

Good luck.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

I really like how you described your preferences. And I like your final distinction about how mbti helps you work through communication difficulties. I've definitely found that to be true, more than any sort of discrimination. In fact, if new friends or family don't subscribe to the MBTI thing, I sort-of get bummed because I know that they won't quite know my nuances, or understand them, nor appreciate how well I know them, like they might if they understood personality typing.
    The curse of the INxJ is that while we are supremely good at understanding ... we will rarely, ourselves, be understood.