User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    She said, "I see a candle light, which reminds me of candles, which reminds me that I want to watch 'Sixteen Candles,' which reminds me I can't because youtube won't play it."
    What function are you suggesting that quote illustrates?

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I say this without sarcasm: I just don't find these threads useful in determining anything of value between Si and Ni.

They're interesting, and creative, but there's not nearly enough 'controls' built into the experiment to show anything at all with any sort of validity. There just aren't. It's just sort of a mess, from an intellectual/experimental POV.

People are perfectly free to enjoy them and learn what they can from them, however. If they stimulate thought in you and discussion with others, A-A, then that's cool.

I guess I see it as a qualitative versus quantitative "study." When considering new theories or something which little is known about, like cognitive functions, open-ended, characteristic-gathering studies are necessary so that you can try and see if any patterns exist in the data you receive. Qualitative studies require fewer 'n' and are mainly just looking in an open-minded way at new concepts, attempting to hold some variables constant, in this case, mbti reference point.

From there quantitive studies can be developed than have controls, and large numbers of n, etc. Although it sounds fluffy to a Ti-er perhaps, what I'm suggesting is very much part of the scientific process, in its initial phases of exploration, and using picture interpretation as one key methodology.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    What function are you suggesting that quote illustrates?
    Si
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I guess I see it as a qualitative versus quantitative "study." When considering new theories or something which little is known about, like cognitive functions, open-ended, characteristic-gathering studies are necessary so that you can try and see if any patterns exist in the data you receive. Qualitative studies require fewer 'n' and are mainly just looking in an open-minded way at new concepts, attempting to hold some variables constant, in this case, mbti reference point.
    Well, let's get away from this abstracted process that you describe (which, as a general process, i do see as valid) and again look specifically at the thread(s) in question, which is what I am discussing. Is what you are suggesting in theory actually being accomplished in this specific scenario?

IMO, no. I'm not really seeing any inherent "patterns" being established, I'm just seeing people projecting the cog functions we've already imposed prior to our "test."

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry;
    She said, "I see a candle light, which reminds me of candles, which reminds me that I want to watch 'Sixteen Candles,' which reminds me I can't because youtube won't play it."
    is said by you to be:

Si
    funny. It's also Ne, which springboards from one piece of an idea to the next:

Candle light -> candles -> sixteen candles -> youtube won't play it

It sort of just reinforces my point in this post, these threads are just self-justifying.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Si
    I already knew that would be your answer, my dear.
    I needed you to say it, outright.
    It's not Si, it's Ne.

Now, read this quote:

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Extraverted intuition would be more like: notice something -> realize that it reminds you of something -> realize that the second thing reminds you of something else -> forget that whole sequence as you notice something else -> realize that that reminds you of something... so on and so forth. As you can see, not very useful without other ways of thinking to temper its fury.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I see that picture as a movie. The next thing that happens is, the family turns around together, smiling, and gets in their car, which is packed with their suitcases, and they go down the road on an adventure to their next new house.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Well, let's get away from this abstracted process that you describe (which, as a general process, i do see as valid) and again look specifically at the thread(s) in question, which is what I am discussing. Is what you are suggesting in theory actually being accomplished in this specific scenario?

IMO, no. I'm not really seeing any inherent "patterns" being established, I'm just seeing people projecting the cog functions we've already imposed prior to our "test."
    I'm just pointing out the general idea of a picture thread to glean insight into cognitive functions is illuminating, and highly illuminating for me. I can already see some parallels into functions and MBTI type just from this meager response. If you can't, oh well.

I never implied, that I know of, that this was a perfect thread, lol, in that regard. What is it about some NTPs that makes you want to immediately jump to a conclusion about what (you think) someone is saying?

is said by you to be:

funny. It's also Ne, which springboards from one piece of an idea to the next:

Candle light -> candles -> sixteen candles -> youtube won't play it

It sort of just reinforces my point in this post, these threads are just self-justifying.
    I don't see it that way. One thought segueing into the next via subjectifying objects to me is Si. I interpret Ne as more grasping everything and understanding the underlying premise behind abstract concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I already knew that would be your answer, my dear.
    I needed you to say it, outright.
    It's not Si, it's Ne.

I know that, Darling, but I said it anyway because it is true. Unless you guys can make a better point at how this is Ne and not Si, then I will stick by it. Perhaps an true Si user can help out this discussion.........unless you are one.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

They look pretty happy to go.

Maybe it was infected with mold.
    Can't really say that. I thought they were holding each other together as a sad last farewell. *breaks into tears with ice-cream tub*

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Alright, jag. Interesting that you noted the similarities between the 'reminds' phrase in onemoretime's post and my daughter's account.

Originally Posted by onemoretime
    I like that chart. It's pretty indicative of introverted intuition. Extraverted intuition would be more like: notice something -> realize that it reminds you of something -> realize that the second thing reminds you of something else -> forget that whole sequence as you notice something else -> realize that that reminds you of something... so on and so forth. As you can see, not very useful without other ways of thinking to temper its fury.
    Please not that OMT's post does not specifically point to objects, besides possibly an initial object to spur thought.

If you notice in my daughter's account,

she is specifically speaking to objects appealing to her senses which have been stored in her memory. A light bulb shaped like a flame, she sees as a candle light. This reminds her of candles. Candles reminds her of a movie (which is a sensory experience and one of immediate concern because she wants to watch it now, in this moment). There is nothing abstract about this account. One object has inspired all this subjective perception based on sensory input.

I think an Ne user would be spurred by an object initially, but that his brain would quickly begin to splinter into abstractions, not more objects. For example, he might see a light that reminds him that circuits conduct electricity which reminds him that electricity is but one form of energy which reminds him that each kind of energy can be harnessed to varying degrees, and on and on and on.

Right?

I went back to Jung for illucidation, but unfortunately couldn't find too much that applied, imo. His definition of introverted sensation is very foggy to me. His definition of extraverted intuition is better. I will quote to show the difference.

We should speak of sensation when sense impressions are involved, and of intuition if we are dealing with a kind of perception which cannot be tracked back directly to conscious sensory experience. Hence I define sensation as perception via conscious sensory functions, and intuition as perception via the unconscious.
    And on intuition,

But since extraverted intuition if directed predominantly to objects, it actually comes very close to sensation; indeed, the expectant attitude to external objects is just as likely to make use of sensation. Hence, if intuition is to function properly, sensation must to a large extent be suppressed.
    This is interesting for me on two counts. First, it shows how my little illustration can be confused with Ne. Second, it implies that it might not be that difficult for an Ne user to use Si.....What if he doesn't suppress his Si very well? What results? Si?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

Alright, jag. Interesting that you noted the similarities between the 'reminds' phrase in onemoretime's post and my daughter's account.
    Call it Si. You'll feel better.