User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Btw, I'm very familiar with the similarities and the differences between the two, as I'm an Ni dom user, and my Dad is an Si dom user.

The ways in which the two manifest themselves in the world, while similar in some regards, end up being very different in many other regards.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Why don't we move this discussion to its own thread?

It's not about INTJs and whether or not they're intelligent.

It's about the similarities and differences between Si and Ni.

How do we do that, btw?

Can we just move everything from that point that we derailed?

Does a mod have to do it?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Why don't we move this discussion to its own thread?

It's not about INTJs and whether or not they're intelligent.

It's about the similarities and differences between Si and Ni.

How do we do that, btw?

Can we just move everything from that point that we derailed?

Does a mod have to do it?
    I agree. This has been the best part of this thread.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Tell me which thread number you'd like me to begin at, and I will perform the transplant.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Incidentally, with that description of Si...

I think Si is more than collation. I suspect (without knowing) that Si is something of a generative endeavour, for it is about identifying differences and similarities. Lots of them. There will be a whole user-generated scheme detailing higher and lower level differences and similarities, extending out to include even arcane, but observably real, connections. It will be a considerable, realistically organised, and--most importantly--dynamically accessible database.

One assumes so, anyway.
    I think to switch this over to Se: Se is about noticing the differences and similarities, but not really identifying them. Se is all about dynamics, but not the detail within the dynamics. I can dig deeper into the detail if I want, but I will be slower then an Si to dig into the details because I am not used to figuring out where to dig as I mostly sit high level.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Tell me which thread number you'd like me to begin at, and I will perform the transplant.

Night,

Post #360 is a good stop/start point.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post

Ni is more generative, more creative, is looking to build new frameworks, find new connections, push the boundaries, look at things from as many different perspectives as possible to find the one that will be most useful in a particular situation, and more.

Si is less generative, less creative, is looking to use an existing framework or frameworks, establish how old connections fit the current situation, keep the boundaries where they are, look at things from the same perspective (or set of perspectives -- I won't say Si users have only one perspective, cuz that would be wrong) because that perspective seems to have always worked in the past, and so on.
    This is really good, but like others in this thread, you seem to be implying that Ni is somehow inherently better than Si (more generative, more creative, etc.). Considering that Si continually gets a bad rap for being "boring, dull, and robotic" while Ni is viewed as this desirable, mystical function that could bring to light answers to the universe's greatest questions, I think a discussion on these two functions would be better if we could open our minds to the positive and negative characteristics of both. Otherwise I see this turning into yet another Si bash vs. Ni idolatry fest.

Rather than comparing Si to Ni through the positive skillsets that Ni definitively allows for (creatively organizing external information according to novel/unique internal constructs), it would be better to examine the two through some other lens, set apart by an equal distance from both Ni and Si, that way there's no comparative bias.

While Ni may be "more creative" than is Si (according to your Ni perspective on generative and creative, at least), Si is "more" of other positive skill sets than is Ni. Si rigidly molds external data according to a more organized, practical, and structured framework, while Ni loosely molds external data according to a more conditional, experimental, and flexible framework. Both have their merits, and both come in handy depending on the context.

Pardon me if this all seems nit-picky. I'm just not a fan of using positive Ni characteristics to desribe Si, as this description is set in terms that implicitly humbles Si to Ni.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Transplant complete.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

*wanders in to see if these introverted function thingies are anything like their extroverted counterparts...*

“Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    *wanders in to see if these introverted function thingies are anything like their extroverted counterparts...*

Oh no. Are we going to need two more threads that compare Se/Si and Ne/Ni? Way to start rounding out a snowball...