User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Si remembers sensory experiences and draws conclusions.
    Ni takes information abstractly (not via the senses) and draws conclusions.

Ni is about synthesizing information and creating a vision of the future.
    Si is about synthesizing information and creating a vision of the past, a frame of reference for the future. Both impel one to realize goals and keep you focused.

Si is comparative, as is Ni, but Ni does it on an abstract level whereas Si does it on a concrete level.

Ni takes in information and melds it into a shape as does Si. Why do you think SJs are often conservative?

Si bases itself on the past and facts. If it's worked and is empirically based, then it's good enough to keep for the future.

Ni bases itself on symbolic concepts since it gathers it's information abstractly and thus is focused on the facts' patterns rather than the actual facts. So it theorizes of what might be the best approach in the future based on such perceived patterns.
    No, the way the information is ordered and applied, and which information is selected, is vastly different.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    That's like stating that lawnmowers and airplanes are the same because they both use fuel and have engines.
    Well, I didn't say they were the same. I said they were similar. Similar != the same. Similar means they share certain qualities but also possess their own unique qualities that make them distinguishable from one another.

As onemoretime stated, Ni and Si are the same process, just with different "standards" (thereby making them similar [read: not the same]). If you know anything about functions, you certainly can't deny that.

And I actually like your lawnmower/airplane analogy. Since both use fuel and have engines but remain different, we can look at the airplane to learn something about the lawnmower, and we can look at the lawnmower to learn something about the airplane. Maybe, if we can escape the realms of our own limited perspective, we can even compare lawnmowers and airplanes to synthesize a new idea or add to our existing notions regarding lawnmowers and airplanes. That doesn't sound like a nice idea to you?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Well, I didn't say they were the same. I said they were similar. Similar != the same. Similar means they share certain qualities but also possess their own unique qualities that make them distinguishable from one another.

As onemoretime stated, Ni and Si are the same process, just with different "standards" (thereby making them similar [read: not the same]). If you know anything about functions, you certainly can't deny that.

And I actually like your lawnmower/airplane analogy. Since both use fuel and have engines but remain different, we can look at the airplane to learn something about the lawnmower, and we can look at the lawnmower to learn something about the airplane. Maybe, if we can escape the realms of our own limited perspective, we can even compare lawnmowers and airplanes to synthesize a new idea or add to our existing notions regarding lawnmowers and airplanes. That doesn't sound like a nice idea to you?
    I can see why some may consider them similar, but they really aren't, apart from their initial intake of information and data.

Read this and compare:

Introverted Sensing
    Introverted iNtuiting

Many of the different functions can be compared in the manner in which you do, such as Fi and Ti, yet I wouldn't consider them similar at all.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

To say Ni is the source of intelligence is wrong.
    Ni is just a word for imagination. even people with low intelligence can have imagination.

If this thread is about debating what the definition of intelligence is, then this is another subject matter.

And I really fail to see the difference between Ni and Ne. It seems like they are both sides of the same coin.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    It doesn't matter if it's condescending. I assure you that I don't care enough about your personal opinion to be affected.
    You can rest assured that I feel the same about you. In fact, that you think my consideration was directed at you does more to illustrate my point than anything I could have said.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post

I am still trying to figure out why a lawnmower is compared to a plane. Would this be a John deere compared to a rusty old crop duster?

Ni vs Si would be like a 2.2L turbo pumping out 900HP vs a 454 pumping out 900 HP. Or a diesel pumping out 900 HP if you want to get a little more extreme in differences.

Lets combine them, maybe add dual turbo, split it between a 4 and V8 and end up with a V6 that pushes 1800HP
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    I am still trying to figure out why a lawnmower is compared to a plane. Would this be a John deere compared to a rusty old crop duster?

Ni vs Si would be like a 2.2L turbo pumping out 900HP vs a 454 pumping out 900 HP. Or a diesel pumping out 900 HP if you want to get a little more extreme in differences.

Lets combine them, maybe add dual turbo, split it between a 4 and V8 and end up with a V6 that pushes 1800HP
    Hah, well I was just extending LT's analogy.

And that's car-talk you're speaking. I only do English. Sawy.

But if you're implying that we could combine Ni and Si to make an uber introverted perception beast, then I'm all for it.

No one can truly understand Ni unless you are INFJ or INTJ, or you have an INJ brain.
    So all our guesses and deductions seem pointless........

One can argue Ni seems like Si and another can argue Ni is a unique snowflake all on its own.

But I guess there is a way for us non-Ni users to understand it, that is, to actually know and have a strong relationship with a INJ user in real life, or have an INJ brother or sister.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

I believe it's useful to note the similarities between Ni and Si, but that beyond that functional similarity, they are extremely different in application.

Ni seems more apt to process data faster, but it's lossy. Kind of like an MP3 (Ni) file vs a WAV (Si) file. The WAV carries every last bit of info about the sound that was recorded, but it's 10x as big as the equivalent MP3. The MP3 will be slightly off, and if your hearing is really good, you can hear a high-end "chirping" that tells you it's MP3 and the frequencies have been cut. But the MP3 conveys 95-99% as much information as the WAV, and is 10x "faster."

That said, it matters what kind of application to which you wish to apply it. Wherever pattern-matching (Ni) is advantageous, it will be faster, but there are many cases where simply remembering details is more immediately advantageous. For most abstract reasoning tasks, Ni will have the advantage, while for many practical applications where specifics matter more than generalities, Si will be more appropriate.

MBTI
    STP

Lets say we pull in 50 pieces of detail an ISTJ tries to link those to something else with similiar detail, lets say 40 of the 50 things. Ni though deals with patterns and tries to link things together like that. The difference is that all the detail is not a single pattern, and the single pattern lacks all the detail.

Take a chart and randomly place dots. Si is the dots while Ne is shallow connections between them, Ni is the line that best fits with Se like a blurred vision that allows dark points and light points which allow you to draw the line that fits the best.
    Im out, its been fun