• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does an INTP have to be socially awkward geek?

Aphex

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I see so much stuff about INTP's being these quiet, nerdy mathematician geeks who have no social skills.

I'm definitely an introvert, but I have well-developed social skills and hate maths and technical subjects. I'm not outgoing, but I can speak my mind when I have to.

Am I just an atypical INTP, or do I have one of my preferences wrong? And does an INTP HAVE to be a shy, socially messed up nerd who loves science and maths?

P.S. My favourite subjects are English, HSIE subjects and Music.

ElizaJane

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
My husband is an INTP. He does happen to be a math teacher-in-training, but he isn't completely shy or awkward. Just as you say, he's not outgoing, but he can speak up when he has to. I've noticed that a lot of people actually look up to him and are intrigued by him — he has that mysterious thing going on.

Also, he is a drummer and has co-authored two books, so loves English and Music too. You may not be so atypical after all!

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Mine's more of a history/computer geek - really doesn't care much for math and his interest in science is generally related to application.

He is quiet, sometimes socially awkward, and generally avoids conflict but he's gotten less so with age. He is a gifted public speaker, though.

I'd say he fits the stereotype fairly well, but not every INTP does. I've met several who do not.

Don't knock the quiet geeky INTPs. Mine is yummy. :wubbie:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't fit the geek stereotype exactly. I played sports and partied and was pretty well-liked in high school for an INTP. Slacked off all the time.

I think there's two kinds of INTPs. The bonafide nerds that seem to have it in their DNA, it's in every movement and breathe they take, and the INTPs who look like normal people, with the same nerd brain, but non-nerd stature. They get treated a lot differently, maybe they are the true social chameleons. Not totally atypical, but definitely a minority.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
Ive never had much interest in math but I do find any new subject interesting at first, I guess its just never really got a hold of me. Im in to history, technical subject, science and theories in general. Im not one to be terribly interested in one thing. I look for the interaction, the intersection that random subjects might have on eachother.

And Ive encountered other people that are somewhat more reserved than me, I can speak up if I think it is needed, but keep quiet most times. 1 or 1 interaction I might even be the one carrying the convo, eventhough I might not have started it.

What I find in intps is that the same initiative we can have on the start up of projects and other areas, we seem to lack in the personal interaction with others. It can be diamentrally different.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I guess being interested in scientific and "unusual" stuff makes you nerdy (?)

My INTP is not a math wizz, he does not even like math that much.
I wouldn't say he's nerdy/geeky. He definitely has his weird areas of interests, and he loves philosophy, biology, game design, games ect, but I don't know. Does that make him a nerd? What is a nerd? Nerdy is a werid word. He is not a misfit, with the glasses and hunchback. He's pretty well adapted - on the outside.

He does have difficulties in social settings and naturally feels uncomfortable around a lot of people. But he has developed and learned good social skills. I think the Ti-doms can seem shy because of well, the Ti and esp. if you're a strong Introvert. But they are not shy and timid people. Mine is NOT outgoing and social, but he does speak his mind.

My guy also loves languages and he's much better at languages than math.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I guess being interested in scientific and "unusual" stuff makes you nerdy (?)

My INTP is not a math wizz, he does not even like math that much.
I wouldn't say he's nerdy/geeky. He definitely has his weird areas of interests, and he loves philosophy, biology, game design, games ect, but I don't know. Does that make him a nerd? What is a nerd? Nerdy is a werid word. He is not a misfit, with the glasses and hunchback. He's pretty well adapted - on the outside.

He does have difficulties in social settings and naturally feels uncomfortable around a lot of people. But he has developed and learned good social skills. I think the Ti-doms can seem shy because of well, the Ti and esp. if you've a strong Introvert. But they are not shy and timid people. Mine is NOT outgoing and social, but he does speak his mind.

He's just idiosyncratic. But if he knows what that word means, he's a nerd. :)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
intps are just easily pulled towards nerdy stuff because of their way of thinking.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
He's just idiosyncratic. But if he knows what that word means, he's a nerd. :)

Then he is a nerd. He knows A SHIT LOAD of facts and just, stuff. I have yet to ask a question about ANY subject that he couldn't answer or give some insight to. It's freaky. I mean, nerdy!

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Then he is a nerd. He knows A SHIT LOAD of facts and just, stuff. I have yet to ask a question about ANY subject that he couldn't answer or give some insight to. It's freaky. I mean, nerdy!
I love that!

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Not necessarily. Like AJblaise, I always did the sports thing in high school and always had a reasonable group of friends, and on the surface you'd never be able to tell I was the way I was. Only when you got to know me could you begin to experience the insanity. I'm never going to love and be drawn to that much social interaction and networking, but that doesn't mean I can't do it. Just when I do, it may not be pretty.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I see so much stuff about INTP's being these quiet, nerdy mathematician geeks who have no social skills.

I'm definitely an introvert, but I have well-developed social skills and hate maths and technical subjects. I'm not outgoing, but I can speak my mind when I have to.

Am I just an atypical INTP, or do I have one of my preferences wrong? And does an INTP HAVE to be a shy, socially messed up nerd who loves science and maths? P.S. My favourite subjects are English, HSIE subjects and Music.

Apparently not.

What I find in intps is that the same initiative we can have on the start up of projects and other areas, we seem to lack in the personal interaction with others. It can be diamentrally different.

Yeah. I am usually really good at starting a project and getting it all "figured" out, then never finishing.

Despite how Katsuni just teasingly called me a "socialite" elsewhere, most of that is because I'm a mod, so I have an excuse and a purpose... I want people to feel that staff is accessible. If I had to just "make friends cold," I would crash and burn. Any people skills i have were hard-won and I did not start developing them decently until maybe my mid-20's. Before then, I usually just took a socially compliant role when I had to interact, in order to blend in and be accepted since I had no confidence in my people skills.

:)

...I think the Ti-doms can seem shy because of well, the Ti and esp. if you're a strong Introvert.

Ones who focus more on Ne tend to empathize with people more and ironically be less abrasive and don't come right out with the "Ti" comments. A stronger focus on Ti I think is more apt to make one be vocal but more blunt with their ideas. In either case, introversion rules and batteries need to be recharged in private. I used to only be really blunt with people I knew well and could trust they wouldn't screw up my life if I told them exactly what I was thinking.

Both languages and math are collections of rules, language just seems more complex to me since it can be contextual and math is constant regardless

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Not necessarily. Like AJblaise, I always did the sports thing in high school and always had a reasonable group of friends, and on the surface you'd never be able to tell I was the way I was. Only when you got to know me could you begin to experience the insanity.

yes... clever ruse.

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
wikipedia told me the olsen twins are intps

go figure.

anyone can be any type.

sure, we have the stereo types that INTPs are cute awkward lil math loving computer nerds, or that ENTJS are business CEOS, go-getters, decisively cold ambitious robots, and that my type, us lil enfps are bouncy happy-go-lucky pixies.

but people are all individuals within their four letters as well, with different degrees of each quality and their own ambitions and goals. you approach the world with the same preferences, but you're all obviously very different.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't fit the geek stereotype exactly. I played sports and partied and was pretty well-liked in high school for an INTP. Slacked off all the time.

I think there's two kinds of INTPs. The bonafide nerds that seem to have it in their DNA, it's in every movement and breathe they take, and the INTPs who look like normal people, with the same nerd brain, but non-nerd stature. They get treated a lot differently, maybe they are the true social chameleons. Not totally atypical, but definitely a minority.

hmm....ive normally typed those "normal INTP" as ENTPs ...whoops :D