User Tag List

Default Thinking Vs Feeling

I understand that Tinking types make decisions based on logic, pros and cons and analysis, and Fellers make decisions based on other people and their feelings in the moment. I am wondering though,
    -What constitutes decisions? Where to go on a date? I can see thinkers giving that option over to make the other person happy. Or is it something more?
    -Cant people do both? At times take other people into account, and at times use logic.
    How can that be explained?

Senior Member StrappingYoungLad's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

All people can think and feel. Obviously.

In decision making if thinking or feeling can be used, then some people will prefer to use one over the other (but not excluding it from the process).

Quote Originally Posted by StrappingYoungLad View Post

In decision making if thinking or feeling can be used, then some people will prefer to use one over the other (but not excluding it from the process).
    Yeah, that.

As for what constitutes decisions, I've never really thought that where to go on a date is a decision of any importance. I always have in mind more important for one's life decisions (ie, what to study, where and why, how to choose a job, how to chose whether you need to move into a different place to live, whether you'll take into account your personal interest vs others interests in an occasion, etc).

Anyhow, as StrappingYoungLad said, thinking vs feeling indicates a preference on how you will process your decision, not rejecting feelings for thinking or vice versa.

MBTI
    INFJ

What constitutes decisions?
    I would say that anything that you need to think through, and consider your options and the consequences of them would constitute decision-making.

Sometimes the same decisions can be made by Thinkers and Feelers, but with different thought processes. For example... if there were four friends at a video store, and three of them want to hire one movie, and the other wants to hire another...

-- if the odd one out was a Feeler they might put theirs down because they don't want to cause an argument and ruin the happy vibes; or they might argue to watch their one because the friends agreed to watch it last week.

-- if it was a Thinker, they might put the movie down because of a principle about the numbers - three vs. one; or they might argue to watch their one because it has been reviewed a lot better than the other movie.

People can and often use both sorts of reasoning, but they'll often have a preference for one over the other.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by StrappingYoungLad View Post

Yeah, they are called preferences for a reason. Feelers will naturally go to an ethical/contextual mind set when judging, then if those things don't apply then they will revert to their T function. Same goes with how the perception functions work.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

On big decisions, I think and think and think until I've thought of everything I can possibly think of ... and then I wait until I feel it. By that time, I'm ok to move, because I've thought of everything.

If I feel something before I've thought it out, I might put the feeling on a shelf for a minute while I consider the alternatives and possibilities.

Unless it hits me square in the head, and then I just go with it and figure it out later.

But the decisive thing is the feeling.