User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Extraverts and Gaming

I'm interested in the different approaches to video gaming taken by introverts and extraverts. Many introverts say they don't know any extraverts who are 'really into gaming'. My personal experience is that I've known plenty of extraverts who are into gaming in a big way, but they approach it differently and often like different kinds of games.

Your thoughts, anyone?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTP

I personally like any competition game like sports, shooter, whatever as long as it’s competition. There is plenty of crap talk to go with that ass kicking too. Strategy games are ok too but it’s a little awkward crap talking in the middle of the game

MBTI
    INTJ

Hmm...I can think of two Es (both ESXP, most likely), IRL who play games.

The first (little brother), tends to play only games that have multiplayer. FPS and racing games. He doesn't have the patience for my stealth games, and hasn't even tried any RPGs. He considers MMORPGs stupid. Oh, and he plays Halo on easy. Doesn't care for Live too much, prefers lan parties.

The other is the boyfriend of a friend of mine. He plays FPS, things like Guitar Hero and DDR, the occasional game of Splinter Cell, and Oblivion. Is always going on about how he pwned something or other. Uses cheats on Oblivion to create an uber character, has no interest in the storyline-just killing things.

I'm hoping I have a biased sample.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Varelse View Post
    I'm hoping I have a biased sample.
    Somehow I think it's close enough though. I think E's would much rather play against someone else than a computer. I myself get bored of playing against a CPU because they are very predictable and it's easy to put them into a pattern or unsafe spot.

Games that don't offer any player on player competition I will play and beat once, if it can hold my interest that long, but I will never play it again.

I tend to get bored of many RPG type games that have you do repetitive things like wonder endlessly in circles trying to level up...collect money AKA rinse repeat or the even more dreaded rinse repeat forever ( everquest types).

MBTI
    INTJ

It's the part about the uber character and playing on easy for the purpose of slaughtering everything that annoys me...that and a complete lack of regard for any artistic aspects of the game.

And I would get bored of wandering endlessly in circles trying to level up as well, though.
    We are not poets

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Varelse View Post
    It's the part about the uber character and playing on easy for the purpose of slaughtering everything that annoys me...that and a complete lack of regard for any artistic aspects of the game.
    I have sometimes put a game on easy setting (used to do it on Heretic years ago), but not all the time. It's when I'm using it, not as an intellectual pursuit, but a tension diffuser. Extraverts by definition deal with people more - dealing with people can be stressful, even for extraverts lol so when you come home after a day of it, it can feel good to just blast through a few levels, shooting things. Stress relief. At times like that I'm not interested in long, tedious plots or frustrating puzzle-solving exercises, or stopping to smell the polygons flowers - I just wanna run, run, run and kill, kill, kill.

However, at other times I've sat for many hours upon hours playing Medieval Total War I & II, building empires and exploring all the many possible outcomes and methods. Random pitched battles also, all the variables such as landscape, different troops and strategies, very absorbing for the Ne/Ti axis to get its teeth into.

But also, being an extravert and therefore spending more time with people (generally), I don't often get long stretches of time when I can play like that, nor would I want to. So I play human players as much as I can, and even better if there's a buddy or two with me and we make an evening of it with a few beers in, play it on a big 'screen' (hang a sheet on the wall and use the projector to make it BIG!), and play each other at things like Age of Empires etc.

Oh, and beat 'em ups can be hilarious entertainment - four friends, much alcohol, an old skool SNES and Street Fighter II Turbo - hours of fun and mutual pwnage! Sometimes I've laughed so hard I thought i'd die!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Well just a game style comparison... the ENTs I know prefer action/fast response type of games more than I do. I think some of them play to beat the game... or compete with another person to see who levels faster... that sort of thing.

Me? I'm more interested in figuring out variables in the game mechanics and tweaking things to optimize for specific tasks. Not too into crazy shooters either... I prefer more sedated games.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Well, I would be rather surprised to find much differences. I can see arguments for and against gaming in this case. I can imagine extraverts liking gaming because they need external stimulation to get themselves going. In fact, I would imagine that it's the ExTx types that are the most into gaming.

I've always been a big video game fan because it enables me to *do* something rather than staying passive when you watch TV or read a book. I need to have challenges and goals. Games give me that exactly and are relaxing for me.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Oh, and beat 'em ups can be hilarious entertainment - four friends, much alcohol, an old skool SNES and Street Fighter II Turbo - hours of fun and mutual pwnage! Sometimes I've laughed so hard I thought i'd die!
    Yeah that and WCW revenge!

MBTI
    INTJ

Good points, sub. You seem to put more thought into it than the extraverts I know...I get tired of discussions with then that are merely "and then I pwned him and threw his body over the edge" or "I used this cheat to give my character Daedric armor at level 10 and then slaughtered everything".

Of course, I pay more attention to games than most people...I've been told to go into designing them.
    We are not poets