User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I think SPs gravitate towards console gaming while NTs gravitate towards PC, simply because they are entirely different experiences. Console emphasizes hand-eye coordination and tactics while PC gaming is about precision and strategy.
    Not quite. That distinction is more between genres than platforms. FPSs are always about hand-eye coordination. RTSs are more precision and strategy. Also there's no way I could gib someone in mid air with the rail gun with those shitty little joy sticks on a console they way I can with a mouse and keyboard.

Not to mention PC gamers have a stronger reputation for being geeks, going back to that NT stereotype.
    I think all IxTx types can geek out just as much as NTs.

But as far as E vs. I, I would imagine that the main difference is degree of obsession. But in S vs. N, I would imagine motivation matters more (what they want their game experience to be like); for the S, it's probably more about the gameplay and being skilled. For the N, it's more about following the story and being immersed in a fantasy world which isolates them from reality.
    m4d 5k1llz d00d

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    How does this compare to the experiences of others:

Typically, what I do first is try to go through normally without a walkthrough. Then I'll be a little confused after the first level or so because I missed some things the first time through, and I'll start a new game to catch them. Then I'll usually get to the last few stages or so, and get so frustrated by something that I finally read a walkthrough, or else I manage to finish without one. Then I go back and read a walkthrough, and start a new game to get/do as many of the things I missed the first time as I can.
    Hmmmm this one's interesting... it highly depends on what type of game you're referring to.

strategy puzzles:
    I refrain from using walkthroughs unless I'm extremely stuck. And at that point only use it to get pass the part that I'm stuck on... and then keep on trying on my own.
    The ENTP refuses to use walkthroughs. He considers them as cheats... after he gets absolutely fed up with the game, he'll say the game sucks and refuse to touch it again.

strategy based mmos:
    Sometimes I read up on guides and stuff... but other times I go in blind and try random combinations. The discovery of stats/skills interactions interests me.
    The ENTP in contrast thinks that's a waste of time... somehow guides are not considered as "cheats" in his mind...

I agree with the PC gamer = geek description.

btw, can anybody answer this one for me? What's the female version of geek/nerd called?

Geek and nerd are gender neutral.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I'm interested in the different approaches to video gaming taken by introverts and extraverts. Many introverts say they don't know any extraverts who are 'really into gaming'. My personal experience is that I've known plenty of extraverts who are into gaming in a big way, but they approach it differently and often like different kinds of games.

Your thoughts, anyone?
    Avid PC gamer here. I'm big on rpgs (Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Fallout), mmorpgs (everquest, daoc, wow), fps (tf2, halflife, hopefully STALKER/Crysis once I upgrade) and adventure/puzzle games (Portal, Grim Fandango, Monkey Island series, full throttle - i.e. Lucas Arts games). I never really like RTS games because I found them repetitive. Though I do have a guilty pleasure for Dance Dance Revolution.

I like to refrain from using walkthroughs as much as possible in regards to playing through the first time through. On the other hand, I do like using walkthroughs to find out what could of happened if I did that or if I was like that, or if I do play through it again, see what quests or items I missed. But most importantly, I like to looking at character creation portions of the walkthrough. There's nothing more frustrating than making a n00b character and having to start all over again.

As far as extroverts go, I'll name their type and what their interested in.

ENTJ female - She really LOVES puzzle games like suduko, word searches, logic puzzles, etc. I've recently got her addicted to Popcap Games, such as Peggle and Mystery P.I. (kinda like an interactive I-Spy).

ENTJ male and his ESTJ bro - Mostly mmorpgs like Everquest / WoW. I don't see him that often, but I think he enjoys Call of Duty a lot. His bro plays the same games as well. As far as who plays them the most, I'd say his brother does because he has a lot of time on his hands.

ENFJ male - Back in the day, he played a lot of Starcraft. He also played everquest a little bit, but invested a lot of his time in the selling aspect. E.g. buying low and selling high - he was one rich mother fucker.

By the way, I think almost all powergamers are istjs. Their work ethic combined with their need for perfection at something allow them to play for over twelve hours a day. My istj roommate spends all his time playing WoW when he isn't at work. The only time I see him is when he grabs a bite to eat from the kitchen or plays a few GH3 songs. He only eats once a day. Yeeessssh.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Side question.
    I've been thinking more and more along the lines that people's type kind of reverses when playing games.

My ENFJ friend is quite quiet when gaming and tends to do stuff solo where as I tend to follow others and prefer specific instructions and spend most of my time backing up another player. It's almost like the shadows play the game.

What do you think?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Side question.
    I've been thinking more and more along the lines that people's type kind of reverses when playing games.

My ENFJ friend is quite quiet when gaming and tends to do stuff solo where as I tend to follow others and prefer specific instructions and spend most of my time backing up another player. It's almost like the shadows play the game.

What do you think?
    Not sure. I tend to be a lone adventurer in games, often a mage/wizard. I'm usually either a mage/wizard or a fighter/paladin type (prefer the former). Occasionally maybe something like a Red Mage/Spellsword type. I don't really like to play with stealth/thief, healer classes, or rogue/bard types for some reason. I communicate well, and make sure to talk everyone I see, in every town (to gather information and potential sidequests), but I don't really form connections or try to play cooperatively, although I can if I need to (still, it's a bit distracting from getting through the game itself when I have to focus on that aspect of things, which is why I prefer to play alone.)

Although I much prefer to form close connections with at least a few people in real life, I still wouldn't want a vast social network. I guess I'm just worried I wouldn't pay as much attention to the friends I did have if I had more to worry about.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I don't really form connections or try to play cooperatively, although I can if I need to (still, it's a bit distracting from getting through the game itself when I have to focus on that aspect of things, which is why I prefer to play alone.)
    Yup Sounds like an ESTP to me

See what I mean?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENTP

Good point Xander. Not sure if it's prevalent enough to generalize, but... hm, well...

When I play RPG's either as video games or actual table top stuff the old skool D&D way, I tend to like playing lawful evil characters, often sorta feisty clerics or fight/clerics, usually human. Often my character gets tired of too much talk and not enough action, so waits 'til people are asleep and sneaks off to do stuff on his own and keep the loot to himself, even setting traps in his wake to prevent his own team mates from pursuing him.

Or I play sneaky chaotic good halfling thieves and rogues, but still the tendency to break out on my own quite often, against the will of the rest of the group.

I sorta want to work in a group and have the conveniences and benefits of group cooperation, but don't want it to limit what I can do independently - still want to keep a level of autonomy that the lawful goods in the party don't like much.

When I play lawful evil I often get on well with chaotic good characters, we sorta meet in the middle with their chaos giving their goodness a less goody-goody appearance, and my lawfulness giving my evil a better facade.

All in all I'd say that's actually quite similar to how I am in RL!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTP

Oh, but when I play Medieval Total War I play kinda like an ISTJ... meticulously building things up from the beginning and slowly expanding, very methodical and stuff.

I can see how, when gaming, I can go over to the ISJ side, but I don't see much F coming out in me when gaming. The touching stories of people losing loved ones in wars or whatever just get on my nerves and bore me, and on Baldur's Gate I've been known to beat up a beggar or two, just for laughs and to see what the sound effects were like. When my reputation begins to get too goody-goody for the evil characters in the party to be happy with it, I'll go into a random house and kill a random person just to bring it down a bit.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Yup Sounds like an ESTP to me

See what I mean?
    But can you imagine an ESTP Mage/Wizard type? One that would prefer to wear robes rather than armor? And spend time studying spells? That's the thing that makes it baffling to me... I mean, what types do you usually think of when you think of a mage?