User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Rarely do I end a multiplayer session considering where I could otherwise have spent the time, though I often question the investment after playing a game alone.

With Halo, where I interact with most of my online acquaintances, I dislike custom games, preferring to compete as a team, formally and seriously against strangers. Pickup games don't "count."

And, too, in team games I am compelled to keep the group coordinated by requesting updates on location and intention, and even issuing directives as politely as one can do with friends.

What that says about my E/I dichotomy, I don't know.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I think SPs gravitate towards console gaming while NTs gravitate towards PC, simply because they are entirely different experiences. Console emphasizes hand-eye coordination and tactics while PC gaming is about precision and strategy. Not to mention PC gamers have a stronger reputation for being geeks, going back to that NT stereotype.

But as far as E vs. I, I would imagine that the main difference is degree of obsession. But in S vs. N, I would imagine motivation matters more (what they want their game experience to be like); for the S, it's probably more about the gameplay and being skilled. For the N, it's more about following the story and being immersed in a fantasy world which isolates them from reality.

As for the SJs and the NFs, they make up the anti-video game groups who force their significant others to put their gaming systems in the basement. (Yet they will spend hours playing Windows Solitaire for hours and not even know it...)

MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah Uber, I would tend to concur with a lot of what you say there.

I often play console games, but it's when I'm with many other players in the same room, so it's easier to sit around the TV screen with a control pad each, than crowded around my desk at the PC. If it's just me, or me and one other, I always prefer the PC and I've got dozens more PC games than console ones. I keep the consoles in the kids' rooms most of the time cos I don't use them that much since I got the projector for the PC.

But yeah, I've never really known an extravert to be as obsessed with gaming as some of the introverts I've known have been - one guy I know, probably ISTJ though not sure, definitely introvert though, has spent about the past 18 months holed up in his room playing WoW, while the world's passed him by. I can't imagine an extravert ever finding that at all tempting or appealing. Mind you I'm sure many introverts wouldn't find it appealing either, that degree of obsession, but even so, I still think the need to get out and do things and be with people would be an effective curb on that for an E.

I actually known an INFP who is a serious gamer - she spends large amounts upgrading her PC all the time to cope with the game specs and she plays those MMORPG's as well that I can't stand
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTJ

Heh...I do not have the money for a fancy PC, therefore I have a console.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    INTJ

Hrm, for some reason I thought this would be about something totally different.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Varelse View Post
    Heh...I do not have the money for a fancy PC, therefore I have a console.
    I haven't either - I just play the older games or the new ones with the settings turned down!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

How does this compare to the experiences of others:

Typically, what I do first is try to go through normally without a walkthrough. Then I'll be a little confused after the first level or so because I missed some things the first time through, and I'll start a new game to catch them. Then I'll usually get to the last few stages or so, and get so frustrated by something that I finally read a walkthrough, or else I manage to finish without one. Then I go back and read a walkthrough, and start a new game to get/do as many of the things I missed the first time as I can.

If there are several mutually exclusive ways to do something, I'll play through as many times as I must to experience them all. Although I never actually impose artificial limitations on myself, or deliberately raise the difficulty settings. I don't use cheats unless I've already done all of the above, and just want to see what it's like to go through virtually unimpeded.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    As for the SJs and the NFs, they make up the anti-video game groups who force their significant others to put their gaming systems in the basement. (Yet they will spend hours playing Windows Solitaire for hours and not even know it...)
    Not really. While I can't speak for SJs, my ENFP friend has owned every system since NES, and probably will continue to buy every single one till he dies. I think now his game of choice is probably a toss up between Guitar Hero III and Halo 3. He plays competitive bouts with friends all the time. It can be a bit draining with him grabbing a large group of friends every other week to play against, and is annoying when he proceeds to decimate us because of his greater experience.

The only one who can stand against him is the ISTP friend, who spends his time divided between Mass Effect and, once again Guitar Hero III

I don't play games as much as they do, the games I play are 2D fighters, 3D fighters, Zelda games, and the more recent Final Fantasy games.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Man do I love playing video games. I wish I could spend more time and money toward it than I do. When I was younger I used to spend many hours every day playing video games, and I would still do so if I didn't have all these responsibilities and time commitments that I now do.

I tend to like most kinds of video games, but competitive games are my least favorite. I don't really like fighting games or first person shooters. I do like lots of different console type games like platformers, adventure, RPG's, etc.... My favorite games are probably MMORPG's. In general I've always liked cooperative games the best, which is one thing I like about MMORPG's, and also they tend to be large with lots of different aspects to explore, a variety of players, complex economy, etc....

I also like games which are fun while being fairly challenging. I don't like using cheat codes, and will only look at a walkthrough as a very last resort. My wife by contrast (INFJ) likes to download cheat codes immediately for every game she plays.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    How does this compare to the experiences of others: ....
    actually, reading that reminded me pretty accurately of my approach to the Baldur's Gate series.