• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Post Filtration

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
A rep I just received inspired this thread. A post of mine was referred to as a pragmatic viewpoint, and I thought to myself, had I authored that post under a different type, would I have ever received such a comment?

Please share the filters you apply when reading the posts of members of various types.

What do you ready yourself for when you read the post of an ENFJ, for example? An ENFP? An INTJ? An ESTP?

Added: Alternately, do any of you see a pattern in how people respond to your posts? As if they're seeing the type and not you?

P

Phantonym

It's actually funny (considering how long I've been around here) but I try not to pay too much attention to the type of the poster. I find myself mostly rebelling against MBTI. :doh: I don't want it to influence my judgement too much. People might type themselves wrong, so any kind of opinion I form of different types can be wrong as well.

I mostly concentrate on the poster instead, so with different posters I could ready myself for some kind of a "typical" response from them. But there can be so many different variables that I'm unaware of that influence posters and how they express themselves in threads at any particular time, so I always keep an open mind and see what happens. I like to observe.

I don't filter out anybody nor concentrate more on specific types or people here in general, everybody is equal in my mind.

Added: Alternately, do any of you see a pattern in how people respond to your posts? As if they're seeing the type and not you?

Haha. Yeah. They mostly don't respond. :D

I still think it's individual and dependent on particular posts, not so much on type. People who seem "softer" get softer responses and people who are more confrontational, get the same returned. That's the pattern I've noticed around here.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I think I am mildly dyslexic
I thought this thread was titled "Post Flirtation" and I was wondering what the heck it was doing in the MBTI section:dry:

I don't have any preconceptions of types.. I would be lying if I said I didn't notice patterns.. But every person is unique and that is how I like to keep it.
However after a while, I am able to guess with accuracy how a certain poster might respond.. but its based on the individual.. not their type

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Alternately, do any of you see a pattern in how people respond to your posts? As if they're seeing the type and not you?

(I do not feel that way about the rep I received, btw. That was merely just the spark of inspiration.)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Having been on both sides of the fence here, people are a lot more shocked when I say something smart with an S under my picture than with an N under there! :laugh:

I usually only check out the post if I think that the person typing is nuts... then I see what type crazy people are! :devil:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't pay any attention to their type. I don't notice whether they pay any attention to mine. I try to learn individual personalities.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I am mildly dyslexic
I thought this thread was titled "Post Flirtation" and I was wondering what the heck it was doing in the MBTI section:dry:

I don't have any preconceptions of types.. I would be lying if I said I didn't notice patterns.. But every person is unique and that is how I like to keep it.
However after a while, I am able to guess with accuracy how a certain poster might respond.. but its based on the individual.. not their type

I read it the same way haha also mildly dyslexic :)

And yeah I don't associate the content of most posts to type at all anymore..I did somewhat in the begining but now I just associate with the poster.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Alternately, do any of you see a pattern in how people respond to your posts? As if they're seeing the type and not you?

Yup, I prefer to have no type listed cause it impacts on how people that don't know you interact with you. I've legitimately gone through INTJ, INTP and ENTP as well having ESTP and ENFP listed as my type on MBTI forums and the way people responded to me changed.

It's not always a bad thing, more interesting to see, although annoyingly the worst judgements based solely on type that I've been on the receiving end of are when I've had ENTP in my type :steam:

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Yup, I prefer to have no type listed cause it impacts on how people that don't know you interact with you. I've legitimately gone through INTJ, INTP and ENTP as well having ESTP and ENFP listed as my type on MBTI forums and the way people responded to me changed.

It's not always a bad thing, more interesting to see, although annoyingly the worst judgements based solely on type that I've been on the receiving end of are when I've had ENTP in my type :steam:

Yeah. I had to laugh when a newbie made an offensive remark having to do with the advice I gave in my post epitomising the micromanagement-mindedness of the ENTJ. If he'd have been around long enough he would have seen that I've been an INFP, INTP, ENFP, ENTP, INTJ and an ENTJ. :laugh:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
One of the things I've noticed with some users is the similar reactions to Fi and Te...they categorize similar behavior (being nasty, confrontational or reactive) as negative...but prescribe different reasons for it. Because of this, I just wonder if what I do that's been called "Fi whining" would just as easily be called "Te stubborness" if I changed my type to ENTJ and ditched the cat avatar.

I further wonder this because people said when they saw my video they were surprised my voice didn't sound "screechy" or whatever because of my cat avatars. I sometimes wonder how much people are talking to my posts, and how much they're talking to my MBTI type description or my avatar.

I know I too am guilty of this, I don't hold myself exempt of reacting to people's types or avatars.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Thank you for your response, marmalade. I knew I wasn't alone in my observation and appreciate your contribution. :)

I agree about the Fi whining/Te stubborness thing. When I was typed as an INFP, I would get mad because the generalisations people attributed to me were so incorrect. Now, with the generalisations that come with being an ENTJ, I just shrug because it's rather true.

heart

heart on fire

Towards myself, I find this response most likely from TPs. (Yes, I realize the irony potiential in that statement.) But it's not a universal with TP, just some.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One of the things I've noticed with some users is the similar reactions to Fi and Te...they categorize similar behavior (being nasty, confrontational or reactive) as negative...but prescribe different reasons for it. Because of this, I just wonder if what I do that's been called "Fi whining" would just as easily be called "Te stubborness" if I changed my type to ENTJ and ditched the cat avatar.

I further wonder this because people said when they saw my video they were surprised my voice didn't sound "screechy" or whatever because of my cat avatars. I sometimes wonder how much people are talking to my posts, and how much they're talking to my MBTI type description or my avatar.

I know I too am guilty of this, I don't hold myself exempt of reacting to people's types or avatars.

You know...I think when I first joined people thought I was hyper due to my avatars or writing style and my type possibly but I think people get to know ya a bit more after you're here awhile and pay less attention to that stuff...maybe.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
lol... I was looking through old rep comments the other day and noticed that I got a lot of comments while ESTP commenting on how people were surprized that I didn't sound like an idiot every time I typed an answer to something or when I wasn't a total jackass :shock:

I noticed after I changed it to N there weren't any more comments on intelligence made, though the shock at not being a total jackass sometimes were still made :cheese:

I think the environment has changed some now though, I'm not getting NEARLY as many "OMG you're not drooling on the keyboard!" type comments anymore!

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
I usually only check out the post if I think that the person typing is nuts... then I see what type crazy people are! :devil:
Same here. I usually notice a poster's type only if:

1) someone seems nuts
2) someone says something unusually mean/nice about a particular type
3) it's a thread for one particular type, and someone's response seems totally out of the blue. You know, threads like "ESTJs, what do you think about..." and there's this nice ESTJ synchronicity going on, when there's suddenly a vehement response that goes against the flow, and sure enough, it's an INFP or something.

That actually kind of annoys me. I think it's inconsiderate to do so without explicitly identifying that you're not actually of the specified type. Normally I don't pay much attention to people's types, though. I question how many of us have correctly identified our types, anyway.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You know, threads like "ESTJs, what do you think about..." and there's this nice ESTJ synchronicity going on, when there's suddenly a vehement response that goes against the flow, and sure enough, it's an INFP or something.
YES. So, so true. And yeah, I have the same reaction with things like that. Usually, I read the post, and then I check out their type right afterwards. But I always check type.

But in response to the OP: I've gotten a bunch of comments from people since I joined about how I'm "adorable" and such, and I think most of that comes from them knowing I'm an ESTJ. Something about Thinkers who are softies/have marshmallow centers, I think.

I actually have the same reaction with INTx people on this site, when they say something sweet. If they were Feelers, I wouldn't react nearly the same way. But since they list themselves as introverted thinkers, I go "Aww!!!! :wub:"