• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intuition.. Give a Personal Example

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
What I am asking is.. not for a defintion of Intuition cut and pasted from some description online or borrowed from "Please Understand Me" ,
but rather your own personal experiences..Not theory, but practice in your own life.

Also was it it Ni or Ne..

My example is.. About 6 months ago My then partner and I were walking down our street, it was late summer or early autumn. The leaves had not yet fallen and the grass was still green. It was night time. I suddenly stopped as I was overcome by a vision of seeing the street in winter. I was also overcome by a very strong emotional reaction.
Having never walked down this street in winter before I suppose it was easy
to imagine what things would look like when a fresh snow had fallen. It was not a deep snow but rather something like the 1st snow fall of the season.
But the emotion was something else. very vivid and intense.. and more strong than any other feeling of it's type I had ever felt, it was overwhelming.
My partner asked.. and I told her what I was seeing and feeling.. I told her I am alone.. I feel very alone.. meaning not just walking alone.. but alone in spirit and heartbroken. The feeling would not go away
Yes.. about 6 weeks later on the day the 1st snow fell I was walking down that very street very heartbroken and alone.. The details were uncanny in their similarity and my emotional state was exact . In fact I noticed the feeling before I made the connection to what I was seeing, and then made the connection to 6 weeks earlier.
I am under the impression this is Ni..

What story can you share.. Intution is fascinating, But is rather poorly described and real life examples would be awesome for understanding how it actually works.

Please share. :)

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That was unusually intense.

I'll wait a while to see what drops in before making a contribution. Interesting thread, though.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That sounds a lot like Si to me. Sensory experience (street, snow, climate,etc), memory (past projected forward), feeling the vividity (did I just make up a word?) of it in your senses, overwhelmed sensually.

Okay: Ni for me. Wondering if my bio bro is going to get my letter today, what's he's going to think about it, how he's going to feel about it, is it going to affect his feelings toward me, when can I expect to hear from them again, wondering how the way I've communicated thus far has affected their reaction to me, etc. This is low-key Ni. Rockin Ni is thinking up new concepts, incorporating a lot of Ti or Fi; imagination that appears impossible to reconcile with reality, yet meshing in the mind nicely.

KSchnitzel

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
This one time right, me and my mate were sat in his car and we were both quiet and like I was all hungry and shit and he turned to me and said "Rob, you know what?" and I just like "McDonalds?" and he was like "Exactly, McDonalds."

Then we both got nuggets.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
to give an example of... what? without theory there is no definition of the word intuition. i could give all sorts of examples of various moments of cognition that strike me as odd, but the more they are odd, the less likely they are related to type.

being intuitive about thoughts: meaning you know there is something wrong with your theory but you can not justify or explain how it is wrong. something in you seems to want to believe the opposite. you may have a clear idea about the other version, but cant justify it either. you live with the doubt and entertain both possibilities, even if that means to have doubt about the most significant aspects of your identity of reality. the cause of your doubts may not be related to the topics of your thoughts. rather your psyche is "abusing" the topic to communicate something else to you. everyday topics like typology become like dream symbols that have two meanings: their original objective meaning, and their meaning to the subject - that's you. but the two processes inform each other and must be either synchronized or differentiated in a meaning full way. because you are not just yourself, your brain is the intelligence that creates your whole world and all ideas about it. if you would try to be "objective" you would try to be reductionist, that is to say you would minimize the field that you deal with until you would foolishly believe, that it's too small for your subject to enter it and distort it. introverted perception has no interest in limiting your view in such a pragmatical way because it is not interested in practical reproducible manipulations. it wants to maximize the view and include more and more of the subject and thus embrace the unpredictable, the future of understanding. i could never give an example of this, because its a very long and complicated process of creating your understanding, your view of self and world. it's as complicated as i am. or as complicated as the world. obviously everyone is creating and maintaining a worldview that unites subject and object. this image or map is essentially what we are. but for some people it happens in the background, automatically. i push it around, semi-consciously, fully intentionally (curiously), collecting bits, tweaking tiny aspects of my shrine at a time.

being intuitive about specific sensory input: allowing objects to open you to imagination. this is the perception of art. you hunt through a collection of random objects (say wikipedia articles about vikings, funny words like "kimbern", some nice pictures) and observe what parts of yourself are highlighted in yourself. those parts are the puzzel that you try to get together. true vikings may not be that interesting to you. you are only looking for the viking in your self.

being intuitive about patterns and mapping them with meanings: this is mostly spacial intelligence and association, meaningful memory access. may not be related to typological intuition. but it provides instant insight into the nature of some entity, so it is likely motivated by the personality of a perceiver or intuitive. example: physiognomy. but patterns are not just in visual items, but all sort of abstract topics, but according to the way i understand the term "spacial intelligence" it's what connects things in ways that are not logical. however the connected things may be logical objects. so reading between lines or theory of mind (identifying cognitive functions) requires a spacial intelligence that maps associations and memories.

for me it also seems to be this spacial mapping that creates understanding of movement, process, intrinsic character. its the purpose of the mapping. as soon as i have the mapping i can predict the process. so the map is a function. its somewhat alive. before that i am only "intuitive" about how to complete a map that i am looking for.

the above is inspired by my introverted perception (Ni, Si, i don't care much to separate them anymore) but my wordings may be more general or imprecise ...

being intuitive about whats going on in general: asking for inner guidance, recognizing synchronicity. understanding how live works. too big of a topic to give a specific example. this original meaning of intuition is more like a stage of spiritual development and it's probably somewhat unrelated to typology. its the sort of intuition that people don't listen to. but to the degree you listen to it, it may have something to say about everything. its just to irregular to be typological function. example: my mother was lost. she has a bad case of alzheimers. there was absolutely no way to calculate her whereabouts. i knew where she was. it was a random place. i had no reason to know. i did consciously chose to not listen to it. i had a inner conflict about it. i decided to search town in a effective grid pattern instead. she was found by strangers at the random place i had in mind, initially.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
That sounds a lot like Si to me. Sensory experience (street, snow, climate,etc), memory (past projected forward), feeling the vividity (did I just make up a word?) of it in your senses, overwhelmed sensually.

Okay: Ni for me. Wondering if my bio bro is going to get my letter today, what's he's going to think about it, how he's going to feel about it, is it going to affect his feelings toward me, when can I expect to hear from them again, wondering how the way I've communicated thus far has affected their reaction to me, etc. This is low-key Ni. Rockin Ni is thinking up new concepts, incorporating a lot of Ti or Fi; imagination that appears impossible to reconcile with reality, yet meshing in the mind nicely.

Hmm .. well it was emotional not sensory.. I had the vision 1st then the deja vu.. not the other way around.. And when I remembered, I remembered the feeling first, then the details.
The night I experinced the vision, what stood out was the emotional state and the impending feeling that it was coming. I already mentioned it would be easy to envision what the street would like in a winter state simply from experiencing winter my entire life. It was the emotion and it's intensity that overwhelmed me.. There was no precedent to compare..
Thank you.
and thanks for your example.. If wondering how your choices and descions effect others and how they veiw you is Ni.. I am loaded with the stuff ;)

G

Ginkgo

A personal experience of intuition would be imagining what ensues after I post this.

Last edited by a moderator:

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
But what I was really thinking was: rewax his moustache. ;)

nanook

a scream in a vortex
predicting people when provoking: it's often being intuitive about extroverted feeling. can be extended to prediction of other function. type is involved in the motivation. what reactions are you looking forward to, what reactions do you fear, what common understanding do you want to achieve ideally and why.

posting totally weird and seemingly random pictures in your profile, also known as "egocryptic communication" (a fantasy word actually) is exciting to you, if you imagine the perceptions/interpretations/associations about you, that other people will "have", when discovering these images.

unfortunately your predictions of their perception are doomed to be disappointed frequently, as there are those who have no conscious skills of subjective perception, thus no common sense that could be predicted.
all they will think is WTF??? and that is hardly exciting, except from a standpoint of revenge like "you suck at perception, therefore i confused you by broatcasting total nonsense , now enjoy your confusion, you blind nut, and feel stupid about it" - a motive that seems too common in some users.

i have been guilty of that as well, but usually i want to communicate meaningful things that can only be understood by few, who share some of my perceptive preferences. i am looking for the right english word. like "acquired taste", except for taste in the symbolical realm.

i have also observed cases of a projection of this 'perception issue' in people who are no good at perception (J-dominant autists). it goes like this: "i suck at perception and never understand the views that other people share, therefore i take revenge by making up and communicating intentionally absurd perceptions so that people feel about me what i have to feel about them. alienation. lets see if i can be more frightening or disgusting to them, than they are too me."

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Oh i can do intuition .. So i predict that not many people on this site will be able to give examples of personal intuitive experiences as you don't have them .. Thus you are all sensors.

It's very easy to claim to have the magic 'N' .. But to give examples, well that is a different matter.

Please prove my intuition wrong :D

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Oh i can do intuition .. So i predict that not many people on this site will be able to give examples of personal intuitive experiences as you don't have them .. Thus you are all sensors.

It's very easy to claim to have the magic 'N' .. But to give examples, well that is a different matter.

Please prove my intuition wrong :D

LOL.. seems you might be on to something here..:dry:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm .. well it was emotional not sensory.. I had the vision 1st then the deja vu.. not the other way around.. And when I remembered, I remembered the feeling first, then the details.
The night I experinced the vision, what stood out was the emotional state and the impending feeling that it was coming. I already mentioned it would be easy to envision what the street would like in a winter state simply from experiencing winter my entire life. It was the emotion and it's intensity that overwhelmed me.. There was no precedent to compare..
Thank you.
and thanks for your example.. If wondering how your choices and descions effect others and how they veiw you is Ni.. I am loaded with the stuff ;)

Well, then maybe it was some sort of Fi tied up with Si memory. N is about abstract thoughts and ideas, not feelings invoked by objects or settings. I'm really not trying to shat on your experience, :), but I am a bit of a cognitive function freak, and I like identifying functions and their characteristics.

As an infp, your dom function would be Fi, with tert Si. Which is exactly how your experience sounds to me.

Fi/Ne/Si

Maybe de ja vu is some sort of Fi/Si loop? Interesting..........

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
being intuitive about whats going on in general: asking for inner guidance, recognizing synchronicity. understanding how live works. too big of a topic to give a specific example. this original meaning of intuition is more like a stage of spiritual development and it's probably somewhat unrelated to typology. its the sort of intuition that people don't listen to. but to the degree you listen to it, it may have something to say about everything. its just to irregular to be typological function. example: my mother was lost. she has a bad case of alzheimers. there was absolutely no way to calculate her whereabouts. i knew where she was. it was a random place. i had no reason to know. i did consciously chose to not listen to it. i had a inner conflict about it. i decided to search town in a effective grid pattern instead. she was found by strangers at the random place i had in mind, initially.

I agree that what No Exit is talking about is most likely not intuition in the typological sense. If anything, it would be more S-related as it is to do with perception of reality but beyond the limits of ordinary things you perceive, like nanook knowing where his/her(?) mother was. I can give an example: one night after having spent the evening with a friend, it was unusually late but I was still trying to go to sleep but couldn't because there was a strange energy bothering me. It was really strong like it wanted something that I couldn't sleep at all. I was desperately tired though, so I tried to make it go away or at least calm down by saying to it, "Let's go to sleep together, ok?" And then I could sleep. When I saw my friend again, I asked her if she had been thinking about me at X time that night. She said yes, that at that time she had really wanted to talk to me and wished she could but it was so late already. It turns out she went to sleep around the same time I did when I told the energy that we should both go to sleep.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i want to point out an apparent analogy between my second paragraph in posting #5 and no exit's very first posting.

no exit said:
My then partner and I were walking down our street, it was late summer or early autumn. The leaves had not yet fallen and the grass was still green. It was night time. I suddenly stopped as I was overcome by a vision of seeing the street in winter. I was also overcome by a very strong emotional reaction. I am alone.. I feel very alone.. meaning not just walking alone.. but alone in spirit and heartbroken.

nanook said:
you know there is something wrong with your theory but you can not justify or explain how it is wrong. something in you seems to want to believe the opposite. you may have a clear idea about the other version, but cant justify it either.
your psyche is "abusing" the topic to communicate something else to you.

no exit said:
6 weeks later on the day the 1st snow fell I was walking down that very street very heartbroken and alone..
The details were uncanny in their similarity and my emotional state was exact .
In fact I noticed the feeling before I made the connection to what I was seeing, and then made the connection to 6 weeks earlier.

nanook said:
it wants to maximize the view and include more and more of the subject and thus embrace the unpredictable, the future of understanding.
this image or map is essentially what we are.

possibly Ni about Fe versus Ni about Te

ironically seeing the analogy of the paragraphs (or reading the analogy into them) might be in itself an example for introverted perception, that is perception where we are concerned with what it means to the subject more than with what it "actually" is. we see an arbitrary object in a different light, and the difference is not so much about "the object being actually different" as it is about the prediction of our development, the development of our relationship with it. its a different self of tomorrow, that will see things in a different way, relate to them differently, compared to the known self.

G

Ginkgo

What? I my post was deleted??!?!? Clearly this forum has no appreciation for fine art! A cultureless derelict!!! I ought not even attempt to fathom the simplicity of your standards, for fear of salivating over my own pantaloons!

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Is this the definition of intuition we are using? (ala dictionary.com):

in·tu·i·tion 
1. direct perception of truth, fact, etc., independent of any reasoning process; immediate apprehension.

Please let's be sure we are all going to be discussing the same thing.

That would be more like "just knowing the Truth" (possibly Ni) or are we looking at "outside the box /connect the dots thinking" too (possibly Ne)?

Last edited:
G

Ginkgo

Is this the definition of intuition we are using? (ala dictionary.com):

in·tu·i·tion 
1. direct perception of truth, fact, etc., independent of any reasoning process; immediate apprehension.

Please let's be sure we are all going to be discussing the same thing.

That would be more like "just knowing the Truth" (possibly Ni) or are we looking at "outside the box /connect the dots thinking" too (possibly Ne)?

??

My intuition tells me that we are talking about the MBTI version of intuition which may or may not be relevant to the popular understanding of intuition - which is frequently associated with psychic phenomena and being able to see through womens' clothing. (In other words, you may not want to know what else my intuition tells me.)