• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intuition.. Give a Personal Example

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Slight aside :

Intuition seems to manifest quite often as randomly smiling at myself at something that has happened, or may happen, but has no particular relevance to the surroundings of the now.

that's the dangerous hallmark of N humor...

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I didn't create anything. To me, it looked like a couple of SJs (you and Saslou) wandered into a thread and snidely dismissed the self-report of Ns.

For the record, I never said there was anything "mystical" or spiritual or whatever about my experiences.

I know saslou IRL.. and she was joking .. her sense of humor is a little out there.. with her you always have to read between the lines.. as for promoteamix(sic) yeah.. it sounds like sour grapes. :hi:

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I didn't create anything. To me, it looked like a couple of SJs (you and Saslou) wandered into a thread and snidely dismissed the self-report of Ns.

For the record, I never said there was anything "mystical" or spiritual or whatever about my experiences.

You really take your membership at The Intuitive Club seriously, dontcha? Read what I wrote. I made a general comment. If I wanted to address you personally I would've quoted you.

I gave examples of what I think are intuition. Sorry, no stories of spectres appearing in front of me. Well I do have one story.

During Snowpacalypse a few weeks ago I had this eerie feeling that if I go outside I might slip on a patch of ice. Damned if I didn't fall! Another example is I sometimes have these screeching and bloodcurdling auditory hallucinations whenever I read one of your posts. I wish I was joking but I'm not. I hear things when I read some people's posts that let's me know how I feel about them.

I know it sounds :crazy: but I swear it's the truth.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think you guys are making intuition sound too mystical.

I got this from another thread and this woman has intrigued me.

Brooksley Born. I think she was using intuition in a very real world practical way by connecting the dots. The Warning | FRONTLINE | PBS Video

For a fictional account of the same thing, Spike Lee's movie Inside Man is another example. Even though the characters may not be intuitive, it's about intuition and seeing patterns from disparate pieces of information.

Thanks for that link. I LOVE frontline. She's very INTJ to me, so that's Ni. Ni not caring what others think, only driving toward the truth, in the face of all odds. To get to that point with the derivatives exposure, she had to put lots of pieces and loose ends together, to come to a final conclusion, and when she did, there was no pushing her over; she was final, sure, dogmatic, about what she knew and had discovered. It wasn't mystical from the point of view of being an other-worldly thought, yet it was extremely original that she was able to say, "hey, this problem is going to lead to much bigger problems." And to say it in the face of every expert asserting the opposite, is quite something. Maybe not mystical, but ............ I'm at a loss for what word would work best here.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
making j u m p s non-sequentially and possibly wrong ones
turning clouds into lovecraftian monsters and making the sky rain ash while driving
dungeoneering
shit mayne

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You really take your membership at The Intuitive Club seriously, dontcha? Read what I wrote. I made a general comment. If I wanted to address you personally I would've quoted you.

I gave examples of what I think are intuition. Sorry, no stories of spectres appearing in front of me. Well I do have one story.

During Snowpacalypse a few weeks ago I had this eerie feeling that if I go outside I might slip on a patch of ice. Damned if I didn't fall! Another example is I sometimes have these screeching and bloodcurdling auditory hallucinations whenever I read one of your posts. I wish I was joking but I'm not. I hear things when I read some people's posts that let's me know how I feel about them.

I know it sounds :crazy: but I swear it's the truth.

Are you finished with your little emotional display? :coffee:

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
in another thread it was clear and visible a media source used the term 'far right'. then, some posts mentioned we are more polarized than ever and even may fall into civil war. well, i'm guessin, the media has no children or doesn't give a crap when they decide to add such terms to stuff that really isn't all that relevant to what is more important going on in the first place. then, i wondered if anyone caught that polarizing method used by the 'far left' media to create more seperation of folks by their use of added terms. then, i wondered if the media even realizes what they are doing. then, i wondered if those who posted on that thread even seen the big picture and realized it is the media that creates more polarization of folks. then, by reading one of the posts in this thread (well done nanook:)), i wondered if i was theorising to much into what i believe is the truth in my wonderments.
idk, somethin like that

D

Dali

Slight aside :

Intuition seems to manifest quite often as randomly smiling at myself at something that has happened, or may happen, but has no particular relevance to the surroundings of the now.

+1

I build up humorous situations in my head... they may revolve around witty banter between myself and another person, repartee or practical jokes... and I'll smile to myself or chuckle. My friend always know when I have something stewing in my head... I smile while trying not to so my face looks this --> :) :mellow: :D :mellow: :) :D and then I get told to blurt out what I'm thinking.

Conversely, I'll walk past a relatively every-day scenario (e.g. streetlamp on pavement... people working nearby... cars driving past), envisage the absolute worst freak-accident that could happen... down to the very last detail of every single thing that could go wrong and cringe.

Both of the above happen a lot.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ

And there lies the problem in itself .. It looked like .. wait, let me check to see if you PM'd me to find out exactly what i meant by my comment .. NOPE .. So instead you jumped to assumptions .. Good work.

I know saslou IRL.. and she was joking .. her sense of humor is a little out there.. with her you always have to read between the lines.. :hi:

Thank you :newwink:

If you don't know me, then ask what i mean. If you can't see that i have a sense of humour, that is not my problem .. You deal with it.

Thanks though for your insight to the OP :D

Jaguar

If you don't know me, then ask what i mean. If you can't see that i have a sense of humour, that is not my problem .. You deal with it.

That cover-your-ass game doesn't work on people like me, cookie. You deal with it.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
That cover-your-ass game doesn't work on people like me, cookie. You deal with it.

No thank you as i don't have to deal with shit. If YOU don't like what i had to say, oh well.

Now are you going to be proactive and add something of relevance or not?

:D

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People have interpreted personal experience in somewhat mystical terms long before MBTI. Part of the reason for it has to do with the human mind's drive towards finding pattern and meaning. We can reconstruct memory in light of recent events by emphasizing some points and dismissing others to create connections and patterns. In the context of MBTI this tends to lean in the direction of iNtuition probably Feeling moreso than Thinking.

I have a clear memory of talking to my mother on the phone strongly recommending she get a mammogram. I felt unusually strongly about it and kept after her because I knew she was resistant. She made the appointment and found out she had breast cancer. I remember this series of events as being intuitive on my part. Was it? Or was the experience of fearing for my mother's life and feeling powerless enough motivation to subconsciously reconstruct my memory in such a way to imply that I had at least some intuitive power over the situation? It is true I made the phone call, but maybe I had mentioned it to her other times. Maybe statistically I got one right where I had many other feelings and insights that never proved helpful which were conveniently forgotten.

I think the danger of taking a mystical approach in the context of MBTI is that it creates a dividing line that can be exclusionary to a greater extreme than most of the dichotomies set up. Either a person is magical and mystical or they are not. It also implies greater power of some sort - and always has from time immemorial. Because the claim itself is suspicious, it implies the possibility of something distinctly unfair in terms of categorizing people. The actual descriptions in some MBTI literature support this divide, but that doesn't make it free of being suspect and problematic.