User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 68

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    That's not a big deal, it happens all the time. Tests aren't the best, and you can have good use of both attitudes of a function. If you fit the infp archetype, you probably really do use Ne more than Ni, you just don't 'see' it.

    Fi/Ne/Te
    Fe/Ni/Ti
    S

    Do you sometimes feel like an xnfj? or some other type?
    The people who know me best and also know MBTI believe me to be an INFJ..
    I would say ENFJ is me if I am at very best or if I am at my ideal best..
    The "Please Understand Me" test I scored XNFX .
    INFP doesn't quite feel right all the time But INFPs that I know also seem to understand my kind of thoughts and feelings to a Tee..I also have a deep understanding and connection with ISFP's ..
    My E and I and J and P are all very borderline, My N and F score about 60%
    Fi is for sure my dom function.. it's the only consistency no matter what test I take.. Also I exhibit more E function .. except the biggie of being drained by people and needing time alone to recharge..
    I would say I am a mess.

  2. #32
    Senior Member edcoaching's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    752

    Default

    If you're talking Jungian type definitions of Ne and Ni, then they have nothing to do with the dictionary.

    Both involve perceiving through hunches, analogies, and connections, which really isn't predicting the future. Examples of Ni:
    • I'm watching an 8th grade urban classroom, with 90 behavior interruptions in 80 minutes (which is why I've been called in to coach the teacher). I "know" the students need structure, but it has to be enjoyable. I suggest starting class with a read-aloud tied to the curriculum. the teacher says I'm nuts, but will try it if I'll join her to deal with the sure-to-ensue chaos. Even though I've never tried something like this I'm sure it's the solution. Sure enough, within 2 weeks the class is holding high-level debates. Behavior problem solved.
    • I mention to my S husband that I need a name for my business. Before he can finish suggesting we go through a thesaurus together (this was before MS Word) I "know" what the name should be, without conscious processing. I voice my suggestion and my husband says..."yeah...where'd that come from?"
    • We're running a teambuilding for a holding company...the presidents of the subsidiaries, all from small towns in a Western state, are given homework at dinnertime on the first night, but we learn that instead of digging in on it they headed to the bars for a bit of big city fun. Which means they won't be ready for the morning session. Which means we could look like idiots and I'd really like my paycheck. So when asked how to remedy this mess, I "know" what to do. "Let's give them a test in the morning--did they hear your vision? Naw...and you'll be able to nail them for not being serious and we'll have 250% of their attention for the rest of the day." That's exactly how it played out, in spite of the hangovers.


    Most of my closest colleagues are Ne and the difference is...they get these same flashes while they're talking/moving/wandering at the Mall of America, not while they're pondering empty space.

    Intuition doesn't really notice reality...the facts, past history, etc., gel unconsciously into an idea, a perception. To develop this function, one has to pay attention to the merit of one's ideas and develop a Judging function to determine whether the perception is worth acting on.

    Not all of the theorists agree that the E and I forms of functions are all that different...it may be truly the attitude in which we use them...externally or internally...
    edcoaching

  3. #33
    Senior Member edcoaching's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by No Exit View Post
    The people who know me best and also know MBTI believe me to be an INFJ..
    I would say ENFJ is me if I am at very best or if I am at my ideal best..
    The "Please Understand Me" test I scored XNFX .
    INFP doesn't quite feel right all the time But INFPs that I know also seem to understand my kind of thoughts and feelings to a Tee..I also have a deep understanding and connection with ISFP's ..
    My E and I and J and P are all very borderline, My N and F score about 60%
    Fi is for sure my dom function.. it's the only consistency no matter what test I take.. Also I exhibit more E function .. except the biggie of being drained by people and needing time alone to recharge..
    I would say I am a mess.
    On the other hand, in my experience interpreting type indicator results for thousands of people, INFPs are least likely to think that just one type description fits them best, followed closely by INTPs. It's that "herding cats" phenomena...too much uniqueness to readily believe one is part of a pattern. But every INFP is like no other INFP is like all INFPs...it isn't a box but a starting place from which one learns to negotiate life.
    edcoaching

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    On the other hand, in my experience interpreting type indicator results for thousands of people, INFPs are least likely to think that just one type description fits them best, followed closely by INTPs. It's that "herding cats" phenomena...too much uniqueness to readily believe one is part of a pattern. But every INFP is like no other INFP is like all INFPs...it isn't a box but a starting place from which one learns to negotiate life.
    Thanks.. I appreciate your input, you know what you are talking about and I like that..

    Maybe you could explain Ne like you did Ni..
    I would be most grateful..

  5. #35
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I think you guys are making intuition sound too mystical.

    I got this from another thread and this woman has intrigued me.

    Brooksley Born. I think she was using intuition in a very real world practical way by connecting the dots. The Warning | FRONTLINE | PBS Video

    For a fictional account of the same thing, Spike Lee's movie Inside Man is another example. Even though the characters may not be intuitive, it's about intuition and seeing patterns from disparate pieces of information.
    We're not making it sound "too mystical" - we're describing our experiences.

    Also, I noted that my more usual and common experience of Ne is connecting the dots and collecting random things that somehow end up working perfectly for me in the end.

  6. #36
    Senior Member edcoaching's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Also, I noted that my more usual and common experience of Ne is connecting the dots and collecting random things that somehow end up working perfectly for me in the end.
    That's a pretty accurate description of Ne. It's not about predicting the future but about "seeing" an idea without consciously processing where it came from.

    Ne was once described to me as throwing a pot on a wheel. Ideas are flying thick and fast, or bits and pieces of the real world are flying thick and fast, and Ne tosses them onto the wheel, spinning until an idea forms. Ni stands, doing nothing, and then urps a fully formed pot.

    So real world examples...If I have to I can join my colleagues in voicing pieces of my ideas as they come and work with them to mold them together. they just get more and more energized b the process while I get more and more tired. I do best, actually, if I start webbing the ideas on the whiteboard--that active involvement helps me stay extraverted in my processes.
    edcoaching

  7. #37
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    We're not making it sound "too mystical" - we're describing our experiences.

    Also, I noted that my more usual and common experience of Ne is connecting the dots and collecting random things that somehow end up working perfectly for me in the end.
    Well since you took a general statement I made and made it about you I'll direct what I'm saying specifically towards you.

    You are describing a more "premonition" type of intuition, something that anyone can say they've experienced. You're not ferreting out anything specifically intuitive within the framework of MBTI. Yes, I read your post which is why I spoke generally but you like to create situations in which you have to defend yourself for whatever kicks it brings you. I suppose you couldn't pass this up.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

  8. #38
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Well since you took a general statement I made and made it about you I'll direct what I'm saying specifically towards you.

    You are describing a more "premonition" type of intuition, something that anyone can say they've experienced. You're not ferreting out anything specifically intuitive within the framework of MBTI. Yes, I read your post which is why I spoke generally but you like to create situations in which you have to defend yourself for whatever kicks it brings you. I suppose you couldn't pass this up.
    I didn't create anything. To me, it looked like a couple of SJs (you and Saslou) wandered into a thread and snidely dismissed the self-report of Ns.

    For the record, I never said there was anything "mystical" or spiritual or whatever about my experiences.

  9. #39
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Slight aside :

    Intuition seems to manifest quite often as randomly smiling at myself at something that has happened, or may happen, but has no particular relevance to the surroundings of the now.

  10. #40
    Senior Member edcoaching's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Here's another Ni. I used to be a financial analyst at the Federal Reserve (talk about out of preference career!!!) The bank president wanted a financial model by 2 the next day to run some scenarios for possible financial conditions in our Reserve District. This is in the days when laptops weight 33 pounds...and Excel didn't exist, only something called Visicalc. Two of us were assigned to the project. I said, "okay, there's five elements of bank financial soundness, so let's take one financial measure for each one and run those for "average" banks in five size categories. Hmm...let's use these five rations," and I underlined 5 from the list I used to analyze banks. She said, "Why those 5?" I said, "I think it'll work." I didn't say, "Trust me," but that was my general justification. She said, "But we haven't tested it. What if other ratios would be better?" I said, "We have until 2 tomorrow. We'll be lucky to get this programmed and set up for the 5 different sizes. We can't do a whole lot of iterations." She said..."I don't think I can work with you."

    Long story short. We used my model. The president loved it. The other analyst moved to another Fed where she spent 2 years developing a more detailed model. I don't think it ever worked better than mine, though
    edcoaching

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] Give us a thought pattern example...
    By Misty_Mountain_Rose in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-21-2017, 09:46 AM
  2. Giving People Personality Tests When You Meet Them
    By Ginkgo in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-04-2011, 07:52 PM
  3. Brands and Personality Type? Any example?
    By curiousel in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-09-2010, 03:27 PM
  4. Give me ALL of the details on a J person por favor
    By /DG/ in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 07-03-2009, 04:44 PM
  5. What gives you a personal sense of importance?
    By ladypinkington in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-14-2008, 05:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO